IGNORED

Pondering of the Super Cassette Vision

S1500

After spending Christmas in Tokyo, I was able to spot several Cassette Visions & Super Cassette Visions. I even played one briefly at a store. 

But, never pulled the trigger. In retrospect, I perhaps should have bought the Junk one for 80 bucks at Hrad-Off.

Now I'm looking at EBay, and the prices are quite a bit higher. First off, moreso the Super Casette Vision intrigues me. Better graphics(on par with the Vic 20?), but WOW the prices. We're talking $200-300 on average, and they don't have a cover. Why are so many missing the cover?

With paypal money now in my account, I'm tempted to hit "buy it now" even though it won't be cheap, I'll have to do more buying of games(which aren't cheap), and it might just gather dust in my gaming altar after a few minutes of play. 

Because the cover is a rather thin plastic slab. Usually what happen si that it crack in the middle and end up eventually snapping in half. And since the controllers are supposed to be stored under it and the "opening point" is in the middle, it's a recipe for disaster.

For the prices, Wow. The Super Cassette Vision was exported to France (officially, up to having the brand Yeno engraved on the plastic and various parts relabeled in French) and the prices are in the 100€ range, which most collectors already find excessive.

It's a fun system with decent good games, though I'm not sure it's a system you may play in the long run.

It would be a good deal to grab one under 50$.

112.jpg

• Like 1

I agree about WOW because only a couple years ago (*), you could get a boxed, tested Super Cassette Vision from Japan for $10-25 + shipping if you were lucky. I have a search notification on eBay for it but rarely bid nowadays and don't really follow up what the auctions end at but $80 for a loose, junk console sounds like crazy. Are you really checking worldwide on eBay?!?

(*) I bought my boxed Epoch Super Cassette Vision for $14 in February 2016 so yes, a whopping four years ago but even back then you barely could find any other console boxed for $14. It is mind boggling if it has increased in value by a factor of 30 or more in the mean time...

Actually the Super Cassette Vision might've been the last, affordable retro video game and now even that one is collectable and expensive just like about every other system ever made. ?

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

It's a shame. I remember paying about $60 for mine and some loose carts (also without a controller bay cover -- are there replacements for these??) and this was in 2018.  Now people are selling "JUNK" labeled systems for $300 (complete with RARE). It's so bizarre to me.

As for whether or not you'll play: there is an extremely limited software library, though I find a few games are very much worth an occasional return (Pop and Chips, Star Speeder, Nekketsu Kung Fu).  

That being said, I doubt highly you'll return for Milky Princess, Super Soccer, Baseball, or Super Sansuuputer.

Surely something must've happened if a boxed system regularly was $25 in 2016, a system with a bunch of carts was $60 in 2018 and now a loose "junk" system is $80 at Hard Off and $200 for hopefully a working one on eBay? Did the founder of Epoch die or something, or did someone with money figure out that here's an oddball system that happens to sell for less than even an Atari 2600 goes for, we need to cure this by buying up the market and raise the prices?

• 1 month later...

So I recently completed the boxed Japanese collection. Sadly missing manuals and some of my boxes are NOT great, but I'm not expecting to find them at any point (especially Dragon Slayer, which costs an arm, a leg and other body parts constantly).

I have been using a site to showcase one's collections so: https://snupps.com/Yosikuma/shelf/3457057

• Like 2

128 sprites; keep in mind, it used these for backgrounds as well so that number gets knocked down a bit, especially when multiple sprites were used to build a single character.

It's very quirky. There's an odd sense of humour that seems to be in most of the games.  I wouldn't fork out tons of money for it, but there is absolutely a charm.

• Like 1

Yes, like I wrote above I could not wish for a boxed console in better condition than the one I got for $14 + shipping. I understand that could easily be $300 today, perhaps $500 and upwards. Mind you I'm not talking about something I bought in 1996, but something I got four years ago.

• 5 months later...

These are EBay inflated prices. Super Cassette Vision systems and software can still be found pretty cheap through Sendico, or similar services.

You can often see where someone has taken the pictures from a Mercari listing and placed them on EBay at an inflated price.

I'm pretty sure that's where mine came from. I saw a few listing with the same picture, and assumed it was from Super Potato or somewhere similar,

but having spent a decent amount of time on Sendico, I see this all too often.

• Like 1

Btw, like I just commented in the A8 HSC thread, I saw a YouTube comment effectively comparing the Epoch Super Cassette Vision (1984) as being the Japanese equivalent to the Atari 7800 (also intended for 1984): lots of sprites, limited backgrounds, weak sound. I'm not sure how adequate it is, but it kind of resonates with me though I haven't really seen much of the 7800 in person.

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

Old news, @imstarryeyed posted those two videos already back in December 2017. :-D

It'd be interesting to know if development has continued, and get a clarification on whether additional hardware is emulated beyond the stock system, in particular the shooter.

OH, OK. I didn't know XD

While requesting a SCV subforum would be asking way too much (*), perhaps the few various threads about it should be merged if possible. Generally it can be hard to locate older threads to know which ones already have posts in them.

(*) or perhaps we could start a club to have discussions gathered

I am currently learning Assembly namely 6502 right now and I would have loved to hear about what that developer used to make those games, I have tried asking on a few different boards but never got a response.  

This was a page that I studied to get info about development.. (These may have been mentioned earlier but if we were to wrangle all of the info into a club thread it may be easier to find some of it here.)

http://www43.tok2.com/home/cmpslv/Scv/EnrScv.htm

On that same page I did see this link to a text page of information about dev and even a Hello World program. (Which I placed here in case the page ever dies)

http://www43.tok2.com/home/cmpslv/Scv/EnrSct.htm

This page mentions the processor.

http://www43.tok2.com/home/cmpslv/Scv/EnrScc.htm

I noticed they mention 

"... can be used as paired registers as in the 8080 series."  

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/r/8080.txt

I am super keen to figure out how to program for this as I would love to make something for this system as I love the graphics and charm this system has in spades... I do wish the sound was a lot better, 1 channel is awful hahaha..

SCVHW.zip

• Like 2

How was it, that the NEC D7801G is similar to Z80 but not compatible unlike NED D780C? Learning 6502 assembly is great for many purposes, but a bit different when you move into Zilog domains. I know from personal experience that I needed an Usborne book that displays mnemonics side by side to get anywhere into the Z80 mindset, and yet I have only dipped my toes into it. Of course there are tons of potent Z80 developers who would think the exact other way.

Based on that Hello World program, I suppose it works like this:

A8001:
  DI ; Disable interrupt
  LXI SP,0FFD2H ; Set stack pointer to address $FFD2
  ; (which coincidentally is the Kernel jump point for printing a character on VIC/C64)
  EI ; Enable interrupt

CALT 08CH ; Not sure what the instruction does, but the comment says "Clear all text area"

LXI H,VDC_DATA ; Set source pointer
  LXI D,03400h ; Set destination pointer (VDP registers?)
  MVI C,003h ; Set size of data block
  BLOCK ; Magically copy data from source to dest (a bit like LDIR on Z80 IIRC)

LXI H,MS_DATA
  LXI D,03000h ; It says "Text RAM address"
  LXI B,01FFH ; 512 bytes?

LOOP0:
  BLOCK ; Copy data, perhaps byte at a time assuming C is zero?
  DCR B ; Decrease register B
  JR LOOP0 ; Jump as long as the zero flag is not set from the previous instruction

LOOP1:
  NOP
  JR LOOP1 ; Dummy loop

I don't know which assembler would grok this, perhaps the Japanese text explains it. Even with my limited Z80 knowledge, I see differences in register setup and instructions but perhaps it is easier to get into if one knows a similar assembly language.

Edited by carlsson