IGNORED

HSC17 Round 1: JOUST

Since I grew up in a "neighbouring" gaming community, I asked myself if I ever played Joust before. I found that it never was officially ported, but that there were more than a dozen clones available of which at least three type-ins and for certain owned Return of the Space Warriors on tape. On the contrary, Atari-Mania only has one Joust game for the A8, namely this one? Did Atari/Williams really hold so strong rights that no knock-offs would enter the market?

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Since I grew up in a "neighbouring" gaming community, I asked myself if I ever played Joust before. I found that it never was officially ported, but that there were more than a dozen clones available of which at least three type-ins and for certain owned Return of the Space Warriors on tape. On the contrary, Atari-Mania only has one Joust game for the A8, namely this one? Did Atari/Williams really hold so strong rights that no knock-offs would enter the market?

The Atari/Williams version was so good we didn't need any ports ?

• Like 3

If anyone wants a fun challenge how about the most Pterrys(?) killed ?

and what about on two player games,

Highest second score. Eg. P1 100,000 and say  P2 50,000 or vice a versa (50,000 is posted score). The incentive is to always work together and get higher score together.

Hopefully stops the better player going on all night. And its makes the two players start again ?

Simples..... or mayby not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedThunder said:

trbb: If anyone wants a fun challenge how about the most Pterrys(?) killed ?

and what about on two player games,

Highest second score. Eg. P1 100,000 and say  P2 50,000 or vice a versa (50,000 is posted score). The incentive is to always work together and get higher score together.

Hopefully stops the better player going on all night. And its makes the two players start again ?

Simples..... or mayby not.

Great idea, I like it :thumbsup: so for 2 player it's the lowest score that will count in a separate table :)

20 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

So far my score has doubled each time I play... On my 6th game.  I'm sure that'll taper off though... 

Up to 14250 :) LOL...

-M@

36300 !   If the doubling continues, I should be able to break a 32bit high score in a little over 2 weeks.  LOL. 

And now the most I've played any A8 game besides Phantasie, and Star Vagrant. 

-M@

• Like 3

At last I broke away from my stupid assembling and had a session on Expert Joust

84,450 wave 8, 201,750 wave 17 and after a lot of restarts down to 148,350!

Jostick working well, had a crazy quadrouple kill giant bounce from the top :-o One of the birdiies cost me 4 lives, I was sure he was out to get me :D

Joust doesn't show the high score so after your go wait for the demo mode to start and you will see the last score(s).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

At last I broke away from my stupid assembling and had a session on Expert Joust

84,450 wave 8, 201,750 wave 17 and after a lot of restarts down to 148,350!

It's funny, my first session was my best. I think I got the 500k+ on literally my first game on Expert. I've managed 3 more games in the high 300ks, but nowhere close to that first game

I think I peaked too soon (excuse the kind of Jousty pun there) ?

On 1/21/2020 at 6:05 PM, STARBUG said:

It's funny, my first session was my best. I think I got the 500k+ on literally my first game on Expert. I've managed 3 more games in the high 300ks, but nowhere close to that first game

I think I peaked too soon (excuse the kind of Jousty pun there) ?

I hate it when that happens, I'm concerned that I've not beaten my score from my first session, but there's plenty of time left, it's a fun game all round.

I was waiting for the puns to start, anyway I'd better crack on...

Welcome to jedimatt42 and welome back to Mr Trust, Mimo and roadrunner :thumbsup:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

I was waiting for the puns to start, anyway I'd better crack on...

Love it!

52 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

I hate it when that happens, I'm concerned that I've not beaten my score from my first session, but there's plenty of time left, it's a fun game all round

Yep. Since the 500k+ of the first session I've been averaging around 200k to 250k(excluding resets), my best last night was a 373 and a 414

However, I just pulled off a monster score now at the end of an otherwise not very good session. Things seemed to get easier after around 500k, I think it's because eventually you have only the blue/purple birds left, so they all move the same way allowing you to find a bit of rhythm with their patterns of movement etc.

898,200 Expert

Don't know what wave I was on, but I remember seeing Wave 42 at one stage, I'd guess around wave 50, or at least mid-40s

I'd definitely say the egg waves are the hardest on Expert, the further you get, you're lucky if you can eat 3 or 4 eggs before they hatch, and then it's bedlam!

Hope I'm not putting any new players off with my high scores. This was the first computer game I ever owned/played, and having not played it in 30 years or so, I'm finding myself utterly addicted

Help!!!

20200122_213425.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, STARBUG said:

898,200 Expert

Hope I'm not putting any new players off with my high scores. This was the first computer game I ever owned/played, and having not played it in 30 years or so, I'm finding myself utterly addicted

Help!!!

Nice write up Starbug :thumbsup: and just to keep you addicted the HSC record for Joust is held by doctorclu (NTSC) and is 1,106,250 way back in Season 3 round 2, and if Dope's laptop is working you might hear from him before the end of the round too ;)

Good to see you mangia-boy :thumbsup:

we have enough players for our first table later  today!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Nice write up Starbug :thumbsup: and just to keep you addicted the HSC record for Joust is held by doctorclu (NTSC) and is 1,106,250 way back in Season 3 round 2, and if Dope's laptop is working you might hear from him before the end of the round too ;)

Thanks TRBB. Was that 1,106,250 on Expert, yeah? Guess I'll have to keep playing! ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, McKong said:

I've had enough of Joust already! The cart has gone back in the drawer and it's been replaced by Donkey Kong!

Blashpemer! ?

I've never played Donkey Kong. I got Miner 2049er as a kid because it looked a bit like it, and I always wanted to play it, but never got around to it. I'll probably put my vote for DK, I think I've procrastinated for enough decades 

On a side note, Donkey Kong Country is in my top 10 favourite 16-bit games of all time, maybe I can draw on that for some inspiration