IGNORED

My homemade stick

chrisr

I own a masterplay interface, wico stick, competition pro and about 12 fully working sticks. None of them are very good for Kaboom which is one of my favorite games. SO I finally took the plunge and took a nonworking atari 5200 stick and canabolized it, and a paddle and made a 5200 paddle stick. I must say it works great and I was able to break 2k on 5200 kaboom with it. Superbreakout and Kaboom finally become worthwhile games for the 5200. One of these days I'll try some others like pole position and back and forth shooting games like galaxian.

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

sounds cool.. bet it looks crazy tho

looks like a stock paddle would've looked like. You remove the stick and glue in a paddle and it fits perfectly and the color matches and everything. I'll post of a pic of it.

quote:

Originally posted by RangerG:

chrisr --

If you own all those Atari 5200 sticks, please share your opinions on the pluses and minuses on the various alternatives to the original controller. Thanks -- RG

I don't think he meant that he has 12 different third party sticks for the 5200. Only the WICO and the COMP PRO were commonly available, they may have been a couple more that were either rumored or released in such small numbers that you'll never see them anyway. The home-made paddle is a great controller, I have a set myself and I love them for Kaboom and Super Breakout.

quote:

chrisr --

If you own all those Atari 5200 sticks, please share your opinions on the pluses and minuses on the various alternatives to the original controller. Thanks -- RG

The masterplay interface cannot be beat for digital stick games like pac and ms pac. It is very well made and even comes with an additional firebutton that you can attach to a 2600 stick.

The competition pro has one major problem. the analog stick needs to be hooked up, it cannot be removed after you start the game. It will not function at all without the analog hooked up. The analog stick overrides the competition pro, so if the stick is not perfectly centered, it will make pac man move in the direction it is pointed. Even when you get it strait, it can just decide to move on it's own (the anaolog stick).

The wico (buttplug style) is great. A self centering analog stick. Does not have the same problem as competition pro. Works very well for digital stick type games like pac man. If you can only afford one of the above, get the wico. I found the comp. pro and the wico in the wild for basically nothing. The masterplay, I traded for a proto 5200 game I found in the wild for $5.00

Chris

Chrisr --

Thanks for the comments. I know there are only three main alternatives to the regular joystick, but it is still rare to have all three and be able to give a true opinion of them all. I think Mr. Retrogamer also has all three (and some cool Colecovision alternative sticks). Thanks again -- RG

quote:

Chrisr --

I have a Wico stick and it makes all the difference for the 5200. I am pretty content with it, but what do you think about the Masterplay. Is it worth the money?

Probably not. The Wico stick is very good and much cheaper. I'd put a value of maybe $50.

Chris