IGNORED

Decisions, Decisions - Extremely Tough Choices (Hardware)

Omega-TI

Over the past few years, we've had some really neat hardware released into the TI community.  Of those pieces of hardware, that are currently available, this poll will try to determine the 'overall winner', which obviously does not diminish the others, because they are all bloody great.  Hence the "extremely hard decisions" aspect of this poll.

So, before this poll even gets posted, and because I may have overlooked something, please post/nominate the name(s) of the new items, within the past few years you wish to endorse/vote on.

Submissions will be tallied on Sunday, February 2nd and the poll will be inserted into this message thread at that time.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the CF7+ and or the NanoPEB has to be on the top of this list.   That device changed EVERYTHING.  

edit: Currently available...well I guess they aint, but still should be on the top of the list anyway. 

Edited by DavidC
  • Like 2

I realize every community likes to have polls, but...

• Why must there be a poll to determine a "winning" hardware product?
  • In spite of the verbiage trying to diminish the fact, how should one feel about the losers?
  • Why are unavailable products excluded from the list, even if that unavailability is due to temporary illness or just a short term Life(tm) incident preventing the seller from offering solutions?  How does one define "available"?
  • Does the poll take into account the skill or capability of the designer?
  • How should hardware developers/designers who don't make the cut of the poll feel about their missing product? 
  • How should developers/designers feel when they see yet another barrage of comments on why forums posters "almost" selected their product, but didn't for issue X or Y?
  • How should the community feel about the "winner"?

I don't have a horse in this race, though I am a HW designer.  But, since I can't imagine any current products being made by commercial interests, I assume all of the poll options are made by community members, and I know it bothers me when people try to rank my stuff against other community member items.  I assume folks come here to enjoy the hobby, not feel bad by seeing their contribution to the marketplace ranked lower because they are new to the hobby and the TIPI or NanoPEB designer has more skill.

Jim

Edited by brain
markup issues
  • Like 2

In my opinion, the CF7+ and or the NanoPEB has to be on the top of this list.   That device changed EVERYTHING.  

edit: Currently available...well I guess they aint, but still should be on the top of the list anyway. 
I have nanos in stock..

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I figured if someone did not want to take part for whatever reason, as always, that would be their decision to make.  I also figured the criteria in coming to a decision on what to nominate and or vote for would be strictly personal.   Now I've learned in life that it's impossible to please everyone all of the time, but I seriously never considered grown men having 'hurt feelings' like small children over a fun little poll about what users thought was the 'coolest item'.  I mean, hell I'd like to know what others think.  But if people are going to get all hot and bothered, forget it, it's not worth my time to generate a little participation activity in the forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

..Again, I have to say the CF7+ and or the nanoPEB changed the world for regular enthusiasts like myself that could not afford a real PEB but still enjoy using the real iron.   I dusted off my TI after it sat for 20 some odd years.  I still suck at programming it, I still like to think I can. (not well)   Honestly it was because of the emulated disk drive that I even found this forum, so many years ago.   The brilliant minds I discovered on here were all because of the CF7+.    Thats my story and it is the truth.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

I figured if someone did not want to take part for whatever reason, as always, that would be their decision to make.  I also figured the criteria in coming to a decision on what to nominate and or vote for would be strictly personal.   Now I've learned in life that it's impossible to please everyone all of the time, but I seriously never considered grown men having 'hurt feelings' like small children over a fun little poll about what users thought was the 'coolest item'.  I mean, hell I'd like to know what others think.  But if people are going to get all hot and bothered, forget it, it's not worth my time to generate a little participation activity in the forum.

In case this was directed at me, I appreciate you rethinking this particular poll.  I am sure there are alternatives to drive participation activity in the forum, and I'll try to suggest some. 

I am surprised you never considered grown men (and maybe women as well, not sure of all the product developers) having hurt feelings over their peers comparing their products to others in some personal, non objective way, but grown people have feelings as well, and we should respect those feelings.

I also think you prove the point.  You're a grown person, some of the community gently pushed back on the idea, and your response implies a level of hurt feelings or frustration that caused you to to give up on the idea, even though your goals were noble (drive community participation).  I think a HW designer/developer could have the same response ("Man, all I wanted to do was make something and let others share in the fun of having it, and look what they said/polled/compared!  Just forget it, I can do tons of other stuff with my free time, or I'll just keep doing my thing, but I'm not making anything for anyone else again"). I do apologize that we are differing opinions, as I think your contributions are huge and the goal is admirable.

Jim

• Like 1

I detest political correctness, you know, usually one group of people telling another what they "should" be able to say, think or do.  I also dislike people jumping to conclusions, and then projecting those misconceptions on others.  While no 'hurt feelings' are involved, there IS a real level of frustration, in that it no longer becomes enjoyable when I have to worry if every single post I make is going to offend someone somehow.  

Yes, we do have a difference of opinion on this one, and since this poll is really nothing of great importance in life, I figured, it's not worth fighting over, so like I said, forget it, it's not worth fighting over.

5 hours ago, jrhodes said:

Dragons Lair (Hey, it was a hardware release, can't deny that ?)

Yes, it WAS!  In fact Tursi had to make a whole new cartridge to contain it all.  That cartridge has had me wondering ever since... what in a GUI like environment could be jammed into that thing.  It's huge, and could make pie-in-the-sky dreams... reality. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, brain said:

In case this was directed at me, I appreciate you rethinking this particular poll.  I am sure there are alternatives to drive participation activity in the forum, and I'll try to suggest some. 

The stories about hardware usage and personal viewpoints seem to be a nice alternative to a stark poll, as comments thus far have already brought out some good participation. 

I have been using my TIPI, UberGROM, and RAMdisk together for development and testing.  I really like how they can all mesh together and bring out the best of their functions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The stories about hardware usage and personal viewpoints seem to be a nice alternative to a stark poll, as comments thus far have already brought out some good participation. 

I have been using my TIPI, UberGROM, and RAMdisk together for development and testing.  I really like how they can all mesh together and bring out the best of their functions.

I agree.  For someone who is new to the platform, it's nice to see what people consider their go-to and why...

Jim

• Like 1

16 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Yes, it WAS!  In fact Tursi had to make a whole new cartridge to contain it all.  That cartridge has had me wondering ever since... what in a GUI like environment could be jammed into that thing.  It's huge, and could make pie-in-the-sky dreams... reality. 

You keep thinking a GUI requires massive amounts of memory, GUIs have existed on the smallest of systems. :)

All the notes for building the carts are on my github, although admittedly I've made no effort to organize it, and I need to do a little more work for the modern flash chips. But the chips are actually available up to 256MB now. ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tursi said:

You keep thinking a GUI requires massive amounts of memory, GUIs have existed on the smallest of systems. :)

Okay, but how about a decent, feature ridden, 80-column multi-color GUI?  Were talking F18A Mk2 exploitative with built in handling of the SAMS card and capable of at least 2 to 3 windows.  Yeah, I know it'll probably never happen, but I can dream big.

Honestly, right now I'm getting by just fine with the Force Command DOS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Okay, but how about a decent, feature ridden, 80-column multi-color GUI?  Were talking F18A Mk2 exploitative with built in handling of the SAMS card and capable of at least 2 to 3 windows.  Yeah, I know it'll probably never happen, but I can dream big.

Honestly, right now I'm getting by just fine with the Force Command DOS.

like HDM IV?

• Like 1

I'm still on the NanoPEB track. It is my workhorse. Except I keep frying them. Currently I'm dependent on Charles Good's old CF7+.

For a while I had Fred Kaal's HDX going with my PC, and it made testing on real hardware easy (MG Explorer, Katamari99, Parsec2020). Somehow HDX quit working, though simple serial output from TI BASIC works.

Some folks helped me set up the TiPi and I should be using that more.

I don't have a FinalGROM. I'm still in the FlashROM99 era (except, I gave mine away.)

I guess the F18A is the constant one - it's been working reliably since I got it in 2012. I'm glad to have just a VGA panel on my desk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

Some folks helped me set up the TiPi and I should be using that more.

I don't have a FinalGROM. I'm still in the FlashROM99 era (except, I gave mine away.)

I guess the F18A is the constant one - it's been working reliably since I got it in 2012. 

A F18A & TIPI you say?  Oh man, when you finally get a FinalGROM into that configuration, the world is gonna change for you.

Below is an OLD (nearly out of date) video I made of 4A/DOS working with a special cartridge, which is now available for the FinalGROM, but also can work the same way with Force Command DOS which is actually a new and better DOS written by for the TI by JediMatt42.