IGNORED

Amiga a600 HD question,,,s

DeV0

I was wondering how to get a 3.5 inch HD hooked up to the internal 2.5 ide conectoid thing on the a600" mb. I was wondering if this would do the trick? http://www.mittoni.com.au/catalog/product_...roducts_id/1296

I know its for a laptop HD on a desktop machine but i was thinking there is no reason why the plastic part couldn't fit directly to the MB with a regular 3.5 ide cable between the 3.5 pins and the HD. The boot image of the floopy disc reads 2.0 Roms (37.350)

I was considering taking a HD out of an old laptop but i have plenty of spare 3.5 drives.

As per, Any help appreciated

I believe this is what you need...

Now, to preface, I haven't done this myself... So.... :-)

Drive cables are female on both ends. (2.5" also? Don't have one handy.)

Motherboards and drives are typically male..

The adapter in the picture appears to be female on the motherboard side, to plug into the motherboard and male on the calbe side, to plug into a 3.5" drive cable.

So far so good.

The 2.5" cable also carries power for the 2.5" drive tho. What you loose with this cable is power, since there are 4 fewer wires in the 3.5" cable.

You'll need a way to pull power from an external source, or split from the floppy power in the 600 and run it to your 3.5" drive.

Note: I'm judging from the picture, that most 2.5" drives actually only use 2 wires for power (The cable has 4 wires more, I assumed were standard drive 4 wire power???). I'm doubtful that you could pull a cable from those 2 wires on the adapter and power a 3.5" drive. I've never broken it out, but I always assumed 3.5" drives use more than 2 wires for power... ?????

Again, never done this!!

Good luck!!!

desiv

desiv

A big thanks to you for your help, heres how it went. I bought the adaptor, fit perfectly. Put the HD into a box and placed externally with IDE poking out the back. Removed mini power box from a Digital Venturis 575, used this to power the HD. All works!

Next project is to move all to a mini tower as to avoid external parts getting in the way.

Cheers dude!

Archived