IGNORED

What's so special about Moon Patrol?

dhe

I have a final grom. One of my consoles will play moon patrol and one will not.

On the defective console, moon patrol will start, but the opening sound, sounds kind of 'tinny', then in crashes.

The defective console will pass TI diagnostics and play TI Invaders, run a basic program.

I'm thinking in might be a bitmap mode thing?

Without seeing the program and hearing that it will work on one console and not the other, I'm forced to ask, is the console it will not work on a beige QI 2.2 console?  Moon Patrol is an Atarisoft game (not a GROM game) and will not work on the later 2.2 consoles.  TI Invaders is a GROM cartridge and therefore will.  Just a guess on my part.  IIRC there is a converted version out there that requires 32K and should run.

I have a final grom. One of my consoles will play moon patrol and one will not.
On the defective console, moon patrol will start, but the opening sound, sounds kind of 'tinny', then in crashes.
 The defective console will pass TI diagnostics and play TI Invaders, run a basic program.
 I'm thinking in might be a bitmap mode thing?

Try Parsec to test bitmap mode

Mp is ROM while ti Invaders is grom try another ROM game as well

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Without seeing the program and hearing that it will work on one console and not the other, I'm forced to ask, is the console it will not work on a beige QI 2.2 console?  Moon Patrol is an Atarisoft game (not a GROM game) and will not work on the later 2.2 consoles.  TI Invaders is a GROM cartridge and therefore will.  Just a guess on my part.  IIRC there is a converted version out there that requires 32K and should run.
I'll just have to say here that if you can run the game from the menu than the 2.2 block is not the issue all 2.2 does is not scan ROM games for the menu it only scans grom. That's why the playground loader can run ROM games on a 2.2 console

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

I'll just have to say here that if you can run the game from the menu than the 2.2 block is not the issue all 2.2 does is not scan ROM games for the menu it only scans grom. That's why the playground loader can run ROM games on a 2.2 console

Yeah, he specifically mentioned that he has a FinalGROM, so I assumed he was running from that.  The attached version of Moon Patrol (from the 'starter pack') is only 10K in size and I believe is NOT a GROM version.  I have no 2.2 console to confirm this assumption. 

moonpatrol.bin

Edited by --- Ω ---
left out the highlighted word

Yeah, he specifically mentioned that he has a FinalGROM, so I assumed he was running from that.  The attached version of Moon Patrol (from the 'starter pack') is only 10K in size and I believe is the GROM version.  I have no 2.2 console to confirm this assumption. 
moonpatrol.bin
ROM not grom groms have a G at the end

arcadeshopper for the WIN!

Both consoles, are older black and silver.

Just so we could eliminate any talk of final grom, I pulled my original TI module (PHM3112).

Parsec will start, but the screen pretty quickly becomes corrupt, so I'm guessing a memory chip.

What would be the best path to figure out what memory chip, TI Diags test memory, but I get the feeling memory, is only the scratchpad.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

bad vdp shows up on the boot screen though

Yeah, and our good friend @mizapf put together eight screen shots (or something along the line) of what the Master Title Screen looks like with the failure of each of the eight bits of VDP RAM.  Is neat and informative but one would have to search to find it.

1 hour ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I have one of these:

150px-Vram_ef.JPG.b764afdc8a8aeb9315efd9734d7c60eb.JPG

Mask 11101111

is that, Bit 3, in the example image?

Right now, I consider this a feature.:lol:

However, that would change if my last working console fails!:ponder:

Were those diagnosis images ever compiled into a PDF document?  It would be really great if there was a downloadable PDF file for self-diagnosis of some common failures.