IGNORED

Astronomical Software for Atari?

skr

I have seen cases in which Planetarium got stuck when there is XRAM involved. I remember I did an experiment in Altirra trying the different XRAM configurations and detected some kind of pattern, but I don't remember now. But the experiment can be reproduced easily and quickly again.

Are you using an Atari Computer with extended RAM(RAM expansion)?

I tried the atr linked by DjayBee, and all work perfectly will all the Compyshop and Rambo XRAM schemes in Altirra. The Rambo ones generate some garbage in the screen during the loading process and also in some screen redrawings at the beginning of the program. But they all work.

I did not try the Axlon based memory expansions.

11 hours ago, manterola said:

I have seen cases in which Planetarium got stuck when there is XRAM involved. I remember I did an experiment in Altirra trying the different XRAM configurations and detected some kind of pattern, but I don't remember now. But the experiment can be reproduced easily and quickly again.

Are you using an Atari Computer with extended RAM(RAM expansion)?

Its an Atari 600XL expanded to 64k internally. In essence it should be just like a stock 800XL.

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get 'Atari Planetarium, The (1985)(Atari)(US)(Side A)(Program Side)[!][req 64K][cr CSS].atr'

Atari Planetarium, The (1985)(Atari)(US)(Side A)(Program Side)[!][req 64K][cr CSS].atr

working, but didn't go far with it. The crosshairs responded to the joystick movement. I tried on a Rambo 320k NTSC 800xl in atari800.

Edited by invisible kid
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, invisible kid said:

I was able to get 'Atari Planetarium, The (1985)(Atari)(US)(Side A)(Program Side)[!][req 64K][cr CSS].atr'

Atari Planetarium, The (1985)(Atari)(US)(Side A)(Program Side)[!][req 64K][cr CSS].atr 130.02 kB · 2 downloads

working, but didn't go far with it. The crosshairs responded to the joystick movement. I tried on a Rambo 320k NTSC 800xl in atari800.

Ill try it. I got one from Atarimania. And also from two other places.

One hung up on map screen. One hung on info screen. Latest hung on title screen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, invisible kid said:

Atari Planetarium, The (1985)(Atari)(US)(Side A)(Program Side)[!][req 64K][cr CSS].atr 130.02 kB · 3 downloads

This actually looks like the bundle I just tried but I'll give it another go in a bit.

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

is your gear broken? seems like it... maybe troubleshoot your Atari... make sure the option key etc is actually working, and your disk drive is proper RPMS etc.

I was starting to worry about that as well. Did a memory check etc. The files ate getting corrupted somehow in transfer probably.Even though I'm taking every precaution.

But I found two files that appear to work.

18 hours ago, invisible kid said:

Atari Planetarium, The (1985)(Atari)(US)(Side A)(Program Side)[!][req 64K][cr CSS].atr 130.02 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks but I didn't have luck with this one either. It didn't even get to the title screen.

Strange, I don't have much problem normally. I also just downloaded another copy of TGACCRR. No problems.

4 hours ago, JagChris said:

Thanks but I didn't have luck with this one either. It didn't even get to the title screen.

Strange, I don't have much problem normally. I also just downloaded another copy of TGACCRR. No problems.

Verify its checksum:

File: Atari Planetarium, The (1985)(Atari)(US)(Side A)(Program Side)[!][req 64K][cr CSS].atr
CRC-32: 763a7694
MD5: 8216f7e1690a06134ee2ddf37f6e3396
SHA-256: 4d998be343b001491fdf1f6b4efe262df696504d89d78badfc281453069f16e9

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

All this back'n'forth has got me a little confused as to what's the definitive and complete working copy of this. I would assume the one at AtariMania is the gold standard?

I personally don't know yet. Everyone here thinks my system is defective. If so it may be some burp in the upper 16k. This is possible but probably not it.

All copies I've gotten, which seem to be two separate dumps fail at different points. If it was a hardware problem I would think it would be more consistent. But i may be wrong. And I have no problems with most other software. Any real problems I've had are solved with just downloading a good copy.

Hash checks are nice but I need to know that copy the hash is from really works. Not a yeah yeah its a good copy. Must be your hardware so sad...

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

All this back'n'forth has got me a little confused as to what's the definitive and complete working copy of this. I would assume the one at AtariMania is the gold standard?

Atari planetarium from AtariMania works as advertised on my rig. Both A & B sides. Hasn't done anything stupid.

Edited by Ricky Spanish

17 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Atari planetarium from AtariMania works as advertised on my rig. Both A & B sides. Hasn't done anything stupid.

Well that is good to know. I'll mark (in my personal library) as a working correctly till proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

I personally don't know yet. Everyone here thinks my system is defective. If so it may be some burp in the upper 16k. This is possible but probably not it.

All copies I've gotten, which seem to be two separate dumps fail at different points. If it was a hardware problem I would think it would be more consistent. But i may be wrong. And I have no problems with most other software. Any real problems I've had are solved with just downloading a good copy.

In the Apple II world I've had certain cracks reveal hardware issues - while other cracks of the same game work just fine. I assume the memory mapping is different among them and some just hit the bad bit.

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

Hash checks are nice but I need to know that copy the hash is from really works. Not a yeah yeah its a good copy. Must be your hardware so sad...

Tell me (or post) which version of the planetarium you're using and exactly what I have to do to get it to lock up. I'll test on Altirra and my friend's real hardware.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Well that is good to know. I'll mark (in my personal library) as a working correctly till proven otherwise.

In the Apple II world I've had certain cracks reveal hardware issues - while other cracks of the same game work just fine. I assume the memory mapping is different among them and some just hit the bad bit.

Tell me (or post) which version of the planetarium you're using and exactly what I have to do to get it to lock up. I'll test on Altirra and my friend's real hardware.

This will be a process. It will take a few days to systematically check each file and get to the bottom of what's doing what and checking hashes, labelling etc.

In the meantime there should be a good XL memory check program out there that will check all 64k?