IGNORED

Dragon's Cache & Descent

Trebor

• 2 months later...

Just a note in case anyone missed it - Dragon's Descent 7800 is currently being played in the 7800 High Score Club, until April 26th: 

I designed the game with a risk/reward dynamic and competitive scoring in mind.   I'm close to getting the game ready for a proper release, but would always appreciate any user feedback, especially in a competitive environment.  I learned a lot with the 2600 version (and that game's own time in the 2600 HSC competition), and I'm curious what folks will find here!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, MrBeefy said:

Nice will check these out. Btw what is the beat emulator for 7800 these days?

I've been primarily testing the game with MAME A7800 which generally seems to be the most accurate, if a little tricky to set up.  BupSystem was pretty easy to get up and running (and works pretty well for a lot of 7800 games), but a few elements like the high score system I'm using can cause the game to freeze when emulated. The Prosystem emulator also has issues, but its pretty straightforward to set up as well.  While early builds of Dragon's Descent and Dragon's Cache work with it, ProSystem can't really handle the latest full-featured versions.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

isnt there a third dragon game he's working on?

Indeed! However, Dragon's Havoc is still very early in development, while Dragon's Descent and Dragon's Cache are very near completion and/or release:

The thread hasn't updated in a little while, as I've been tied up with other projects, including the long process of actually finalizing and releasing the above games.  I've also been a little reluctant to move forward without an ability to test on hardware myself (the incredible help of those who can notwithstanding!), since this game is pushing a little harder, graphically, than the previous games.  Seeing the Concerto and Dragonfly due to be released has given me a bit of an incentive to get some ideas ready to properly test.  All that said, I've actually made some very specific progress on Dragon's Havoc over the last two weeks that I hope to share soon...don't let that stop any of you from checking out the other games, though :)

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Revontuli said:

Indeed! However, Dragon's Havoc is still very early in development, while Dragon's Descent and Dragon's Cache are very near completion and/or release:

The thread hasn't updated in a little while, as I've been tied up with other projects, including the long process of actually finalizing and releasing the above games.  I've also been a little reluctant to move forward without an ability to test on hardware myself (the incredible help of those who can notwithstanding!), since this game is pushing a little harder, graphically, than the previous games.  Seeing the Concerto and Dragonfly due to be released has given me a bit of an incentive to get some ideas ready to properly test.  All that said, I've actually made some very specific progress on Dragon's Havoc over the last two weeks that I hope to share soon...don't let that stop any of you from checking out the other games, though :)

Im stoked that a Homebrew Dragon Trilogy is coming to the 7800. Would you be interested in doing an audio interview for my website/ YT channel?

• 6 months later...

@Revontuli, an absolutely fantastic job.  Did not expect so much from the included manual.  Box looks great.  The game, of course, is wonderful.

@Albert I cannot get over the super high quality details and materials used, the meticulous care and attention to packaging.  It's top-end high grade look and feel, that just when I think it can't improve even more, I receive my next order and the "holy craps" starting shooting from my mouth again.  

Folks, this game comes first wrapped in a plastic bag with an AtariAge seal.  Next double layered bubble wrap that is tape sealed.  Then it is placed in the middle of a couple of inches of styrofoam peanuts all around in a rather well-sized box with all the bonus material to boot.

Al does this (at least) several hundreds of times a year.  This is not an exception, but the gold standard of AtariAge:

IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.cb2da29e090fc78b01666c985329df5d.JPG

The lighting is a bit dull where I took the capture - apologies for that.  All items are better saturated and brighter than what the picture conveys.

If you haven't seen it yet, please check this thread.  Yes, it's 10 pages.  Yes, it will take a while to go through; but it will really help drive home how much work is involved.  Labor of love does not even begin to describe it.  

Todd, I cannot wait for the rest of the Dragon line-up to come to full fruition as has been done with Dragon's Cache.  Absolutely excellent! 

Gentleman, thank you all around, as well as to everyone else who had a part in this production.  Fantastic community as always!

Cannot wait for more new 7800 releases - we have some fantastic talents making fantastic games.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanx for the heads up on these.

I went to try them, popped Dragon's Cache on my CC2, started it just to make sure I got the correct config and it worked...

... and...

40 minutes later...

Hey, I am still playing this... 

It's really addictive... ;-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 2:48 PM, desiv said:

Thanx for the heads up on these.

I went to try them, popped Dragon's Cache on my CC2, started it just to make sure I got the correct config and it worked...

... and...

40 minutes later...

Hey, I am still playing this... 

It's really addictive... ;-)

Yeah, Dragon's Cache is a great playing game.  I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to add it to my cart on my pre-order - order.  I'm definitely getting it on my next order!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a note that I've been updating "Dragon's Havoc," the third game in this informal trilogy, in the programming thread, and have a demo of the first level available.  I plan on posting a longer demo that includes a few more levels in the near future there:

CrystalParallaxColorTests.thumb.png.7d1724393abf76954b60e5d7cab1cb55.png

The game includes levels with parallax scrolling, mazelike caverns, and several bosses - this is the current project I'm focusing, and would welcome players for testing and feedback!  

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Revontuli said:

The game includes levels with parallax scrolling, mazelike caverns, and several bosses - this is the current project I'm focusing, and would welcome players for testing and feedback! 

Just want to mention in case it has not been noted by some, the above respecting "Dragon's Havoc", and the other two fantastic titles: "Dragon's Cache" & "Dragon's Descent", are each managed within just 48KB of ROM space.  It is mind blowing to me how much is squeezed into such relatively small resources.  This includes quite a remarkable job in utilizing and making the TIA sound shine as well.

Dragon's Havoc, in particular, contains 7 levels - 21 stages in all, and is not even finalized yet.  Amazingly, there is still ROM space available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1