IGNORED

40 games that should have made it to Lynx!

LynxEffect

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

For swos, I would probably go with a closer view so that the sprite are a  bit bigger but thats mostly because the original screen is hard to read when it's scrolling.

For cannon fodder I would drop the mouse pointer and give direct control of the "sergeant" with the 4 other soldiers following you. Pretty sure it would work ok :)

That's a bloody great concept for Handheld Cannon Fodder. 

I don't mean to sound overly negative on these games. 

It's just i have played games on platforms where the compromises made take too much (for myself) away from the experience. 

Mega CD colour limitations on likes of Rebel Assault, far too grainy to see wtf you are doing...

Hated the screen scroll of Bubble Bobble on GBA

Sega Of America didn't think Lemmings on the Game Gear could be done according to PROBE, who provided them wrong, so what do i know? ? 

Cannon Fodder i have tried to appreciate, but it's too unforgiving, too much luck involved, any improvements to gameplay i would welcome. 

On 8/18/2020 at 12:09 PM, LordKraken said:

I would disagree on these 3 examples actually. Lemmings is the proof that it can work with small adjustement. 

Worms being turn bases we could use zoom in/out easily. As for cannon fodder and swos I have the feeling that the sloppy scrolling might be more a problem than the screen resolution.

But I would love to "port" swos on the lynx thats my favourite soccer game of all time. Not sure there is a demand for it though as the lynx fan base seems to be very NA rather than europe.

I hadn't actually realised just how badly Sensible Soccer had done on the Atari ST. 

Sensible Software's Jon Hare didn't sound like the biggest ST fan out there, saying you could never fulfill a games potential due to the smaller screen size than the Amiga, sound always having to be downgraded.. 

Controls had been tweaked a bit for ST Sensible Soccer as it was done after the Amiga version. 

But at the time, Autumn '92, Sensible Soccer had sold 41,000 copies, 36,000 on the Amiga, 5,000 on the ST. 

• Sad 1

I would really love to see games ported to my most beloved platforms, like the Atari Lynx (and Atari 8-bit computers), but generally I can understand why programmers aren't jumping up to do these ports.  You have to really, really like a game to spend the time to port it to another platform, especially without source code.  It's probably better to write a game based on a similar idea, so you won't have to deal with all the people that will tell you all the things you did wrong in porting it, how it doesn't play 100% like the original, look as good, control as well, etc.  The lynx, while having great graphics hardware, has some crippling drawbacks:  the small screen, and the cartridge system, which makes it fun but also frustrating to code for.  So you also have to love the platform you're porting to as well.

Whenever it does get done, and done well, like the Space Harrier port to the Atari 8-bit, I'm amazed and happy to see it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawn Jefferson said:

I would really love to see games ported to my most beloved platforms, like the Atari Lynx (and Atari 8-bit computers), but generally I can understand why programmers aren't jumping up to do these ports.  You have to really, really like a game to spend the time to port it to another platform, especially without source code.  It's probably better to write a game based on a similar idea, so you won't have to deal with all the people that will tell you all the things you did wrong in porting it, how it doesn't play 100% like the original, look as good, control as well, etc.  The lynx, while having great graphics hardware, has some crippling drawbacks:  the small screen, and the cartridge system, which makes it fun but also frustrating to code for.  So you also have to love the platform you're porting to as well.

Whenever it does get done, and done well, like the Space Harrier port to the Atari 8-bit, I'm amazed and happy to see it.

I never found Shadow Of The Beast well suited to the Lynx. 

A technical showcase yes and a title which benifited from some gameplay tweaks, but just not suited to handheld play (short periods of gaming). 

Dracula The Undead was another. 

An astounding title, but one i always felt felt more suited to a home console or computer.