IGNORED

New Game Idea - Homebrew

At one point I had a game scenario mapped for a forest fire game where you would choose helicopter or plane to put the fires out on different terrain. You could protect building for extra points and deploy ground based firefighters. A very "mini" simulation.

• Like 3

Just now, BBWW said:

At one point I had a game scenario mapped for a forest fire game where you would choose helicopter or plane to put the fires out on different terrain. You could protect building for extra points and deploy ground based firefighters. A very "mini" simulation.

I like that idea! Lots of potential, and relevant (many wildfires in the news almost year round now)

You'd have various levels of fire intensity, and then when you put it out, there could remain some hot-spots (extra hard to fully extinguish and/or you'd need a ground unit to handle it). For hotspots, perhaps there would be an IR camera mode that would point them out (but then that takes away from dropping water/fire retardant).

The game I intended (on the Speccy, if that wasn't obvious) was like New York / Towering Inferno. Perhaps the two could be combined with a planning/map mode and then when you get into detail, a more action oriented screen.

But yes, this quite far from the Canyon Bomber game originally requested and partially already delivered.

FYI, I’m testing a strategy oriented version of that game I posted previously. Objective would be to get all targets destroyed with a limited supply of bombs. Some special bombs (different effects) are unlocked as each stage is solved.

The arcade version would be basically what I already showed.

Let’s see if the concept works...

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1

Haha... actually my avatar has as much to do with “strategic mode” as it does with blimps. It comes from my favorite, heavy strategy boardgame ?

But anyway, sure, I can add a blimp to it. Could you help me remember... did the blimp show up automatically? Was there any condition? Or was it activated by the player? Sorry, never played the original arcade.

BTW, I improved collisions on that game and throwed in a few more stages with different layouts and visuals. Will release soon.

7 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

BTW, I improved collisions on that game and throwed in a few more stages with different layouts and visuals. Will release soon.

Looking forward to it!

Might I recommend a name change to avoid any Atari related confusion?

14 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Haha... actually my avatar has as much to do with “strategic mode” as it does with blimps. It comes from my favorite, heavy strategy boardgame ?

But anyway, sure, I can add a blimp to it. Could you help me remember... did the blimp show up automatically? Was there any condition? Or was it activated by the player? Sorry, never played the original arcade.

Watching a video of the original, it seems the player starts as a blimp then changes to a biplane when he drops to a certain height.

However there was a lot more vertical space in the original, (screen was mounted vertically like most arcade cabinets) 

but the player could not control anything except when the bomb dropped.

It began with a blimp crossing at the very top and getting slightly lower each pass across, until at a certain height it switches automatically.

Your version already has more control than that, so maybe just make it an option? I think the bombs from the blimp do more damage than the biplane,

perhaps you could limit the blimp to only one bomb per pass? They could fall slower or on a different trajectory from the biplane's bombs? Or explode in a different pattern?

Just spitballing here...

18 minutes ago, cmadruga said:
31 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Looking forward to it!

Might I recommend a name change to avoid any Atari related confusion?

Shoot.

Since the game is rapidly evolving (and in a great way!) perhaps best to do that at the end?

One thing it has in common (so far) is WW1/pre-WW2 era aircraft... And bombs ;-)