IGNORED

Is thia what every collectors spare closet/room turns int

Clong80

So I'm in the process of organizing my garage.

... In the same way some of us programmers, artists and game enthusiasts are in the process of completing a project.

I'm going through a mountain of stuff accumulated in my hardware-loving youth and eventual ways-and-means adulthood.

And trying to save it from mice and moisture.

I'm all about Rubbermaid bins. And Lord help me if a local retail chain leaves a stack of unguarded empty totes behind their back door...

It's all getting organized and cataloged.

I want to make this nice. I want a hallway. A place I can bring perfect strangers to without feeling like I'm too obsessed.

The only way I can do this is to make sure I get it all categorized and properly stored.

This is happening, happily, amidst the chaos. 

I've sold off a few things. Mostly I've gotten a crapload of things in the right place and gotten rid of all the awful beatup cardboard boxes 

Yay totes.

I'll be able to line this storage area with arcade posters and my old Trader Joes art by the end of the year if it goes as planned. Wish me luck community.

Pics on request.

• Like 1

Sounds nice.

3 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I want to make this nice. I want a hallway. A place I can bring perfect strangers to without feeling like I'm too obsessed.

That's the way to do it. And without having to explain to strangers the why's and how's of what its all about.

I've sold off a few things. Mostly I've gotten a crapload of things in the right place and gotten rid of all the awful beatup cardboard boxes 

I STILL got Apple II shit from the turn of the century that I have NOT opened up yet. Still in the now-rotting boxes ebay sellers shipped it to me in..

I'll be able to line this storage area with arcade posters and my old Trader Joes art by the end of the year if it goes as planned. Wish me luck community.

Should be fun.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm having fun with this.

On my lunch hour, lately I head to the hardware store, measuring tape in hand, ready to buy whatever it is that can store whatever pile of retro hardware I'm dealing with. If I drive home after work with the right size container, in my little commuter hatchback, then I feel like I'm at least making progress at the end of the day.

Right now I've got an empty container that's intended for the empty 2600 boxes. I think it's Homz brand. I don't collect 2600 boxes, but I end up with them, because sometimes I must buy games WITH boxes. I don't want to BURN the boxes in my wood stove, so I guess I have to store them.

I have a nice fire going right now. Cozy.

So yes. NOT burning Atari 2600 game boxes in there because, well sh*t- they're 2600 boxes! Guess I got to STORE them then and buy boxes for my boxes.

Even tho, no... I don't collect boxes. Still, yes, there's a box of boxes in the garage.

Rubbermade makes a great container for Sega boxes. Had to buy one of those too.

I think one of the boxes says "Space Attack".

Fitting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I have a nice fire going right now. Cozy.

I always set up the fireplace when I plan on doing emulator organizing and updating. Or when reading. Or doing ebay. Setting a mood makes for great nostalgia years later.

I used to do big rubbermaid tubs. But now with the downsized and organized (mostly) Apple II stuff, smaller mid-size tubs work. I also don't limit myself to rubbermaid exclusively. There's all kinds of neat organizers to be had from the hardware store and wherever else.

But whatever I pick I always make sure there's a little un-used space left, about 20% or so, to add items from time to time or"update" something.

• Like 1

I’m a big fan of the Sterilite brand of storage bins. Their 15 and 32 quart bins have been my go-to containers for practically everything. And both sizes stack neatly together, very convenient if you have a sizable collection. They’re cheap and easy to source from places like Target and Wal-mart. These bins have seriously helped keep my collection under control so I highly recommend them!

On 3/26/2020 at 12:15 AM, Keatah said:

I STILL got Apple II shit from the turn of the century that I have NOT opened up yet. Still in the now-rotting boxes ebay sellers shipped it to me in..

I'll take 'em if you don't need 'em:)