IGNORED

Space Invaders Invincible Collection

Daj

Coming to Japan in three different editions pretty soon: https://spaceinvaders.jp/SIIC/titles.html

If you need some Space Invaders dinner plates, perhaps dropping a wad of cash on the Super-duper limited edition will be a good financial decision for you.

Some great games in there, there certainly could be many more. Taito keeps putting out new collections of Darius with ever-more games, so perhaps this won't be the last we hear about Space Invaders on Switch. No word of a western release date afaik, but the Switch is region-free.

• 3 months later...

Coming west soon: https://gonintendo.com/stories/363592-strictly-limited-games-releasing-physical-editions-of-space-inva?page=1

Games included:

● Space Invaders (1978, Arcade) – b/w

● Space Invaders (1978, Arcade) – colour

● Space Invaders Part II (1979, Arcade)

● Majestic Twelve: The Space Invaders Part IV (1990, Arcade)

● Super Space Invaders ’91 (1990, Arcade)

● Space Invaders Extreme (2018)

● Space Invaders Gigamax 4 SE (2018)

● Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders (2017)

● Space Invaders DX (1994, Arcade)

● Space Cyclone (1980, Arcade)

● Lunar Rescue (1979, Arcade)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daj said:

Coming west soon: https://gonintendo.com/stories/363592-strictly-limited-games-releasing-physical-editions-of-space-inva?page=1

Games included:

Very cool and seems like a good collection to pick up.

20 hours ago, Daj said:

Games included:

im a sucker for game collections on the Switch.  Definitely keeping an eye on this.

4 hours ago, tpugmire said:

It’s available now, I just ordered a copy. 

Same. If anybody missed it but is interested, there is a second "launch" in another day I think.

It may well end up on the eshop long before SLG ships... probably best to put it out of my mind for now. The priciest Japanese edition came with Space Invaders dinner plates of all things, sadly no such option for the west.

• 5 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 10:07 PM, Daj said:

It may well end up on the eshop long before SLG ships...

Hooray, I was right, looks like Space Invaders Forever dropped on the 15th: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/space-invaders-forever-switch/

Sounds like it includes Space Invaders Extreme, Space Invaders vs Arkanoid, and Space Invaders Gigamax 4 SE...? Odd that the original would be omitted, if that's the case.

Strictly Limited's physical version has already been delayed repeatedly and is currently set to ship "Jan/Feb", which probably means May or something at this rate. 

20 hours ago, Mockduck said:

This has been so disappointing to see turn into Forever with just three games. Extreme is a personal favorite but still.... And thirty bucks?!?!?!?

i do agree with you on this one.  I saw Extreme on the eshop and was like 'uggggh'.   

I get the limited-edition thing for making money, i guess, but I think they'd make a lot of money by putting it on the US Eshop ;)

I mean I bought the limited edition and I'm still kinda disgusted, that's some really funny math there...

Years-old $20 steam game + years-old $6 smart phone game + gigamax = $30? And apparently the original Space Invaders is some kind of rarity that only collectors are entitled to play? I thought they'd handle it more like the Darius collections, which are pretty overpriced but at least include most of the games.

Maybe they'll try to double dip by releasing another collection later, or putting the older games on Arcade Archives or something. I do notice this includes only the three newest games, and possibly the only three that are actually Switch ports and not emulated, so maybe that's how they came up with that list.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, DavidD said:

Is the new/upcoming US release "complete," or are there still titles missing compared with the Japanese version?

Looks complete. I think even the "not-complete" physical editions got the rest of the games as downloads.

On 6/5/2021 at 10:55 AM, tpugmire said:

My copy is scheduled for delivery today. Almost exactly one year after I ordered it. 

Ultra Collector's Edition is now scheduled to ship in December, more than a year after the original "delivery" date.

16 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Here's Mad Little Pixel's review. To be honest, I think it needed Return of the Invaders (1985), Space Invaders '95/Akkanvader (1995), the DS version of Space Invaders Extreme, Extreme 2, Space Invaders Get Even (2008), and the various 8- and 16-ports.

Taito has managed to drag out Darius across a couple of different collections, maybe they'll do the same with Space Invaders.

37 minutes ago, Daj said:

Looks complete. I think even the "not-complete" physical editions got the rest of the games as downloads.

It sounded like the only thing missing is the Sega Genesis Space Invaders game, but that was only available as a free DLC bonus through Amazon in Japan...

Are you saying that the EXISTING US cartridge release gets the other games now?  I thought that cart (Space Invaders Forever) was limited to 3 games...

Edited by DavidD

51 minutes ago, DavidD said:

It sounded like the only thing missing is the Sega Genesis Space Invaders game, but that was only available as a free DLC bonus through Amazon in Japan...

Are you saying that the EXISTING US cartridge release gets the other games now?  I thought that cart (Space Invaders Forever) was limited to 3 games...

What I meant to say was: apparently the Japanese physical release of Invincible Collection got Space Cyclone, Lunar Rescue, and Space Invaders DX as free DLC. I think those were previously only included in one of the more expensive versions of Invincible Collection. I don't know if it applies to the US version (if it doesn't yet, I guess it probably will). 

I did not know about the Genesis game being included anywhere, would be nice to get that... Space Invaders 95/Lunar Loonies is the one people seem most annoyed at being missing, but I'd take pretty much anything (and everything) and I hope there are more to come at some point in some form.

18 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Here's Mad Little Pixel's review. To be honest, I think it needed Return of the Invaders (1985), Space Invaders '95/Akkanvader (1995), the DS version of Space Invaders Extreme, Extreme 2, Space Invaders Get Even (2008), and the various 8- and 16-ports.

Seems like a good package, but for $60 it should include a bit more imo.

• Thanks 1