IGNORED

Good Price?

FelixtheGamer

Hello,

I recently have been looking for more and more Atari 5200 stuff. I am new to this board and don't know a lot about the 5200. I have a 2600 and a ton of games for it, but not much with this one yet.

My question is this, I was at the flea market this past weekend and saw a 4 port Atari 5200 with the automatic switch. It came with two controllers and a power supply. It also came with pac-man. The guy wanted $70 for it. I haven't done much research on how much the system go for or anything like that. I was curious as to if it is a good price or if it is too high. Thanks!

To give you some idea...I'll submit my buying experience on Ebay about the Atari 5200.

I bought a 4 port Atari 5200 with 14 games for $94.55

That is including shipping, so the actual ending price was somewhere around $75.

The system IS rather heavy.

I think it was a rather good deal (maybe slightly high)...

Considering that I see alot of Atari 5200 games sell for $5

5 times 14= $70

$70 for the system and ONLY pacman sounds like the worse deal I've EVER heard of. He's just being greedy, and doesn't know what the value of classic stuff is.

If it WERE a new in box Atari 5200, I could see it then, but without the box, he's trying to rip you off big time!

I don't think I'd pay that much for an Atari 5200......

I got mine when I found out a friend of mine had 3 of them that he couldn't get working. I diagnosed that it was a bad RF switch, made two of them and traded one for one of his systems and a couple of his duplicate carts.

I bought my first 5200 (boxed/complete) with 30 games at a flea market and payed $30 this was back in 1990 and my second one was $25 for just the system and 3 controllers and hook ups

On ebay i can see a system and 1 game go that high but at a fleamarket that guy is just greedy

Not all Flea vendors are greedy. I got my 4 port at a Flea market about a year ago. It was outta box in a different standard cardboard box marked.."Atari stuff" and it had two controllers...one looked decent the other was missing the fire buttons on the sides. It had a power supply but no switchbox.

All in all it was pretty much bare bones...but looked okay. I had to buy it though for the price...

$2.

I later picked up a switchbox the next day but it ran me $9. The games I have I have gotten from the wilde mostly. They average me anywhere from $1 - $5. The most I have paid for any game through Ebay was my Fractalus cart...which was loose but in mint shape and had the instructions. That puppy ran me $17.50 when it was all done with.

Still worth it all. I say keep looking, there are deals out there to be had. Proof is in the messages on the walls of these hallowed halls of AtariAge.

I bought a 4 port with a controller which doesn't work well, and a handful of commons, at a flea market for $10 last fall.

At another flea mart, I see 5200's going for $30 to $40, but they are cleaned and guaranteed to work and come with 2 working controllers -- which is sometimes hard to come by. I'd pay $30 or so for a really good condition 5200 machine with 2 sticks. But you'd think they should be cheaper than that.

Just my 2 cents. I'm still playing my original 2-port 5200 which cost $150 or so in 1983. yep, my sticks still work fine -- though I have cleaned their contacts.

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the help! I had a feeling it was high in price. The guy has nice things in his booth, but he has most everything marked up high. I've found for the most part, Atari items are inexpensive at the flea market. This booth is an exception, but it is nice to look and see the cool stuff there.

I had the good luck of picking up my first 5200 the week before. I had never found one in a flea market before and now I have seen two in two weekends. Now I have a better understanding of what the prices should be. Thanks!