IGNORED

UAV - 5200 Installation Guide and Video

-^CrossBow^-

I've been meaning to do this for a while as there can be some confusion in regards to installing the UAV into a 5200. I've done a new installation video that I think is more clear on the process vs my original and a new guide. This guide is my largest to date but should have more detail for those of all experience levels.

UAV Installation for the Atari 5200 Guide:

https://tinyurl.com/vy6ldg6

And new UAV installation for the 5200 Video here:

• Like 1

This is a great video and guide - takes much of the guess work out of the install, only wish I had it a few weeks ago.

I don’t know if mine had a mistake but my pre-built UAV board came with the terminal block installed under the board rather than on top, which wont fit since its against an IC that is just north of the 4050, I ended up desoldering the terminal block and just soldering the wires through-hole style.

Edited by Elysiom

35 minutes ago, Elysiom said:

I don’t know if mine had a mistake but my pre-built UAV board came with the terminal block installed under the board rather than on top, which wont fit since its against an IC that is just north of the 4050, I ended up desoldering the terminal block and just soldering the wires through-hole style.

We really need to let @MacRorie that the upside down terminal block for 5200's was a good thought but it's just not working out for folks in practice (me included).

If you solder the socket ontop of the 4050 and then insert the UAV into that socket, I could see the terminal block just fitting on the underside. MacRorie offered this as it was felt it was easier to know which output lines where were. The terminal block on the topside blocks this, hence why my guides always list a pic of that section without the block installed.

But even then, the block installed on the bottom means you have to pull the UAV out of the socket just to unscrew the wiring from the terminal block and that seems more of an issue to me. That is why I get the kit package and build it up however I want. 

22 hours ago, Elysiom said:

This is a great video and guide - takes much of the guess work out of the install, only wish I had it a few weeks ago.

21 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

We really need to let @MacRorie that the upside down terminal block for 5200's was a good thought but it's just not working out for folks in practice (me included).

16 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If you solder the socket ontop of the 4050 and then insert the UAV into that socket, I could see the terminal block just fitting on the underside. MacRorie offered this as it was felt it was easier to know which output lines where were. The terminal block on the topside blocks this, hence why my guides always list a pic of that section without the block installed.

But even then, the block installed on the bottom means you have to pull the UAV out of the socket just to unscrew the wiring from the terminal block and that seems more of an issue to me. That is why I get the kit package and build it up however I want. 

The terminal block on the underside was done that way as per the original instructions when I acquired the rights. Once it was brought to my attention that this was not advantageous, I have since changed the website to highlight the difference and allowed people to buy it in one of four flavors for the 5200:  terminal strip UP, terminal strip DOWN, Kit, and Basic.  I would really also love to make a version where it allows for the 4050 to ride shotgun on the board, but I just have not found the time yet.

And before you say Covid-19 will give you all the time in the world, What COvid-19 giveth, Covid-19 taketh away:  I am now primary caregiver to my 4.5 year old twins who no longer have a daycare to go to.  Oh, sure, I sneak us all into my shop every day, but if you have EVER been around small children, you know that not much work actually gets DONE.  All that being said, I will keep at it.

-M

15 hours ago, MacRorie said:

The terminal block on the underside was done that way as per the original instructions when I acquired the rights. Once it was brought to my attention that this was not advantageous, I have since changed the website to highlight the difference and allowed people to buy it in one of four flavors for the 5200:  terminal strip UP, terminal strip DOWN, Kit, and Basic.  I would really also love to make a version where it allows for the 4050 to ride shotgun on the board, but I just have not found the time yet.

And before you say Covid-19 will give you all the time in the world, What COvid-19 giveth, Covid-19 taketh away:  I am now primary caregiver to my 4.5 year old twins who no longer have a daycare to go to.  Oh, sure, I sneak us all into my shop every day, but if you have EVER been around small children, you know that not much work actually gets DONE.  All that being said, I will keep at it.

-M

Thank you for your work! You have always shipped out my orders quickly and I very much appreciate that! I do know about small kids as when both of my boys were young, I was working from home at the time and it could be a challenge at times. And believe me when I tell you this. It might seem like a chore to watch your kiddos now, but then they grow up quickly and you begin to wonder where the hell that time went!? And you will miss it when they no longer want to "bug" daddy to play.

• Like 1

I got the board with movable jacks or plugs like the ones they use to set jumpers on hard drives. Tried those jump settings again at the top of page 4, and its back to a darker picture like the first time I tried it.

Hold on, just found out that the s-video cable plug, male, that's wired to the UAV is all messed up! Luma is going to the correct pin but chroma is going to the ground pin, and no ground connections on it! Probably getting ground from the composite. I'll have to hunt down another s-video connector! I'll be back later!