IGNORED

Buying A Nintendo Switch Is Proving To Be Difficult In The US Right Now

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/buying_a_nintendo_switch_is_proving_to_be_difficult_in_the_us_right_now

All my targets even say out of stock now.  Even the lite except the lite is ship able.  But no stock in stores.

I wonder if this is because of corona virus.  People being forced to stay at home so they bought a switch to pass the time.  Or resell on ebay and scam others in this tough time.

• Like 1

There's market saturation while everyone has to go to work and school, then there's the new market condition when everyone has to stay at home and fill their days and minds with something. 

I never would have expected to settle my mind enough to make time for Animal Crossing, yet here we are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

There's market saturation while everyone has to go to work and school, then there's the new market condition when everyone has to stay at home and fill their days and minds with something. 

I never would have expected to settle my mind enough to make time for Animal Crossing, yet here we are. 

One of us!  One of us!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Supply chain issues are real, but I think some of it is also the scum of humanity if you check facebook, craigslist, amazon and ebay.  Why pay $300 for a Switch when you have the opportunity on the marketplace to find many for $450+ am I right? :D  They know there is a captive audience, and for once, that's not just a saying, so you have scalping scum taking advantage.

It's not just Switch, take a look for staple items that don't go bad in a few days or need chilling.  Bread making goods like baking powder/soda, dry yeast, flours, etc.  Formerly $2.50-4 for something, now like $50-200+.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Even before the outbreak, Switches were notably hard to find.  Lites were easier, but it was rare to find them at the store, and they were usually gone by the end of the day.

True. I got mine a week or two before coronapocalypse hit, I had to check around online a bit for a brick and mortar store. Now even Amazon doesn't seem to have any.

slightly off-topic, but it's reported that NoA is not sending any Switches out that are in their repair depots as well until they have workers return to them.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8261/session/L3RpbWUvMTU4NTMyODE1NC9nZW4vMTU4NTMyODE1NC9zaWQvZlVzZ3d5dUo2NkVJS05Nck9XTkFlWWs2Mm9qYWtYRU9lbElQSTE4ZWhLa0pCck9qUldJNFglN0VKZ1NBT0NHNVNuSThZczlwcVF6a2hRT0c2UEs4NVc1U1hCWFF4TkVwbkxZJTdFdVQzQXZWQXVxJTdFTl9oViU3RVRSQUtzbHclMjElMjE%3D

(edited for linky from Nintendo)

Edited by digdugnate
  • Thanks 1

Yeah they weren't really that hard to find before the "coronapocalypse" lol, I like that. Our store always had them, maybe only lites , but they were available. Maybe Nintendo was fazing out the original?

As for now, literally 3/5 of the us population is under stay at home orders, what to do? Play video games! And it's already a hot seller, so that just puts more strain on the supply chain. Top that with (as much as some will hate this) it not being essential, meaning factories and supply chains are being closed, if they aren't already, and it's just being even more scarce.

I think Animal Crossing has a lot to do with it, too.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/nintendo_sold_more_switch_consoles_last_week_than_at_launch_in_japan_thanks_to_animal_crossing

"Famitsu reports that just over 392,000 units were sold last week (including both Switch and Switch Lite models), comfortably topping the 330,000 total achieved during the system's launch."

"...chart data from the UK shows that the title went straight to number one, selling more copies in its opening week than all past Animal Crossing games combined."

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

Pokemon is driving sales as always too, but this new style they did with AC is making it sell like crazy so it's kind of a 1-2 punch for those who held out and now are wanting the hardware.  We're at a mid/after mid point when the systems tend to get like a second breath of life in sales as people see it did well(whatever system it may be) and that there's a line up of a lot of interesting games now to choose from and can be had mostly for less than the retailed for either used or in many cases new too.

16 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

sigh.

I wonder, too, now that we're three years into the life cycle of the first generation Switches how many we're going to see being replaced or fail.

They've been sold out here for a few months now on Amazon. It seems a lot of local shops are selling their Switch Lites on Amazon at slightly above MSRP, but the regular model is like $500 for a new one now. There is a Tsutaya down the street from my house that probably has a whole stack of them, though. They still had the Famicom Mini, its Shounen Jump variant, and the Super Famicom Mini last time I went there about a month ago, too.

I might go there since the screen protector on my Switch somehow cracked in half while it was in the dock maybe a week ago and I'm curious to see what options for screen protectors they might have. Might as well see if they have any actual hardware out of curiosity while I'm there.

• 3 weeks later...