IGNORED

DOS 2.0D bug: Duplicate Disk reads first three sectors with 256 byte DBYT

tschak909

Some interesting visual observations:

The master image disks have the menu in lowercase (vs 2.0S and the 815 manual).

The upper case DOS 2.0D images, like the dos4815.atr, are missing the "II" in DISK OPERATING SYSTEM II.

They are also coded with this error: "NEED D1 THRU D8" vs "NEED D1 THRU D4"

I'm starting to get really curious about the validity/history of some things.  I found an old DOS20D.ATR from 2001 and it matched the 815 master -- which is interesting in itself.  I've also seen the Corvus source code FMS/DUP and they are based on FMS/DUPDUAL source code which is actually different from that on the 815 master.

The mystery deepens and I spend way too much time on stuff like this. :)  stupid sickness this Atari is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, quite easy, we at the preservation project only take untouched originals. If possible, we take them twice. From those(!) disks we create the RAW files and from them the ATR, else ATX.

So, if you take an atr from what source ever, then ask the source:

a) was an image taken from the original?

b) was the original disk untouched and protected against writing?

c) was there a 2nd original?

If your source can't answer a) to c), well...

If it is "stupid" for you, then why you did do a 2,737 posts?

Lack of passion?

If you not have Atari in your blood, a tattoo is not sufficient, then another hobby may feed your needs better?

Just loud thinking...

We do not force people to take part, but sometimes, the "force" is with us... ;-)

• Confused 1

Yes I do believe the humor of my post was lost in translation, even with a smiley.    There is no ill will or negativity towards the preservation project.  I just create questions that I want to find answers to.  I’m just doing preliminary research and figuring out the puzzle.  For certain, the DOS/FMS on the preservation’s 815 master is the same as on the Accountant disks. That is how I validated what I was working with was a consistent image for that timeframe. 

Uff, just overseen the smilie, big sorry.

Here around the ;-) is for not taking seriously... the 🙂 for supporting.

Of course, we have to find out, but to my mind, that can be done at any time in the future, key is, to save as much as possible from the magnetic layers as possible.

And this as fast as possible... the Accountant disk could only be saved through "DNA recombining", that is 5 past 12 for me.

Great you are blue blooded, Atari blue. ;-)

All the best.