IGNORED

To Collect or to Play?

figgler

jamesb69's thread brought up an interesting (you've probably seen it a hundred times) thread

Do you collect to amass an impressive collection of games to satisfy your inner collector? (Playing mostly on emulators if at all)

or

Do you collect to assemble an ample library of titles to play your Saturday nights away? (Gaming on a vintage system)

personally I collect to play.....

you?

Hey!! - No fence-sitting!!

90% to collect. If i were wanting to play something, it would be somethingk like Half Life or Unreal2k3. If i wanted to play an Atari game it would be a lot cheaper to use an emulator.

Usually though, i do give every game a good run through.

Only two game i really play though are Super Breakout and Pitfall!

Because of the no fence sitting rule, I go with collect.

No offense to anyone, and I don't mean to point fingers at anyone here... but I always have some doubts when people say they collect games to play... mostly because the same people often have 600 or 700 games. I have a friend that collects games as well, and at one point he realized that he had enough games that he could play a different game each day, and not end up seeing the same game for a whole year. Think about it, can you really say that you play all your games? I sure as hell can't.

Although I'd be quick to say that I collect games to play rather than for the sake of collecting, the fact of the matter is that I have tons of games that I bought with very little intention of playing. I have a crate full of controllers and accessories that I refer to as "the pile"... and I'll commonly buy things knowing full well that I'll just "toss them in the pile" (A power glove being the most recent addition). In fact, I have numerous systems hooked up that I almost never play... it's probably been 4 or 5 months since I turned on my INTV. For those reasons, I have to doubt my own answer to this question.

However, when I take another look, I generally don't collect boxes for games (I have some, but I don't go out of my way to get them), I never leave a game sealed (except for a handful of doubles that will never really be worth anything anyways), I never knowingly buy doubles, I very rarely consider the monetary value of a game when buying it (ie, buying a rare game in order to increase the value of the collection... seems like more of a collector thing to me), and I can honestly say that I've played every game I own at least once. When I compare this to the actions of many people that I don't consider players, it makes me feel like I'm not a collector after all.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. Not everything is black and white...

--Zero

I'm a player who enjoys collecting just as much.

I have over 600 different games for the 2600, 5200 and 7800 combined. Will I play every one? OF COURSE I WILL!

For me it's also about having the selection, the option to try a different game whenever I want. Not only is that option there for me, but for visitors as well. They may get to play a game they never heard of before and really enjoy it. It's all about the option.

My collection is a fully functioning one, not a display only collection.

I also choose to play the real thing only, no emulators for me. I tried the emulator once out of curiosity and didn't care for the experience at all. Nothing like the real thing, that is my personal preference.

The collector in me likes to find the original boxes for games, systems, controllers, etc. simply because I like to have things in as original a state as possible for nostalgia purposes. I don't have a time machine but at least my collection can look like I went back in time to get them ;)

I guess I fall under both categories, I'm a serious collector who plays every game I get :)

Doug

I play.

Every game I've ever bought has been bought with the intention of introducing it to the hardware needed to play it.

I see no point to buying something I'll never use.

I bought a mint-condition factory-sealed game, and OPENED THE BOX! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

I pity all those poor cartridges that will never be used, because someone decided that it's more important to own all the games in their boxes than it is to enjoy the games.

Now you collector folks enjoy Chase the Chuck Wagon.

I'm gonna go play Super Breakout.

Oh no, not this debate again. :roll:

I bought a mint-condition factory-sealed game, and OPENED THE BOX! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!  

Now you collector folks enjoy Chase the Chuck Wagon.  

I'm gonna go play Super Breakout.

That's what this discussion always turns into. Why do we have to condemn others that do things differently? :?

Just game & collect on, everyone and enjoy! :cool:

Cheers,

Marco

Why do we have to condemn others that do things differently?

That's simple:

"People have a peculiar pleasure in making converts, that is, in causing others to enjoy what they enjoy, thus finding their own likeness represented and reflected back to them."

--Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

That's simple:

"People have a peculiar pleasure in making converts, that is, in causing others to enjoy what they enjoy, thus finding their own likeness represented and reflected back to them."

--Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Very true. But as we have had this discussion many, many times before and it often evolves into bickering, it would be cool if we would draw the conclusion that there's nothing against everyone enjoying this hobby for whatever reason they like, beit playing, collecting, programming, re-creating, storytelling, whatever.

Cheers,

Marco

There's nothing wrong with stating that you stand on one side or another, but as a (predominantly) player I see no reason to hassle the collectors.

There is a certain pleasure that comes from playing a good game of Super Breakout. There is a different sort of pleasure that comes from holding a MIB Quadrun in your hands. Collecting is about more than the game. It is about the art, the packaging, the way it looks on a shelf, the memories of seeing the game many years ago and finally having it again right in front of your eyes. It can be an expensive hobby, but some people can afford to pay more for their diversions so its all relative to your own finances.

It is fun when your bedroom looks like a 1983 video game store. I appreciate the play value of the old 2600 games, but the experience is definitely enhanced by the nostalgia of it. If I was a little older I'd probably be stuck on NES games.

I mostly play but I do rather enjoy collecting..

I mean we all enjoy playing these games right?

But don't we all have those childhood fantasies of owning EVERY video game EVER made...and how cool that would be?

Well some of us kept that dream alive and brough it into our teenage and adult lives.

If you ask me it's THAT simple.

And not to offend anyone but people who ONLY collect old games and ONLY play new games and can jump off a bridge for all I care..

PLAY.

Proof: I bought a lot of 12 common 4K carts for 8 bucks so that I could use them to make myself a few homebrews (Spacetreat rocks!) and in that lot there were 3 copies of E.T. I do not have a copy of E.T. in my collection - and knowing that I didn't even bother to save one for my collection. I broke open all 3 E.T. carts and canabalized them for homebrews. I didn't need all 12 carts for homebrews (I only had 10 EPROM chips), but it didn't matter to me to collect the E.T. cart - I'll never play it again.

That's not to say that if I found a boxed Quadrun at a yard sale that I wouldn't add it to my "collection"... but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up too many games that I wouldn't enjoy playing.

PLAY!

I have more than 200 2600 games. I may not play my Atari systems every day, and there are some 2600 games I may rarely if ever play, but they are ALL out and accessible, ready to be used on a whim. Oh, and this goes for ALL games for ALL of my Atari systems. I may have things like boxes and manuals packed away, but my carts are all accessible.

I will always prefer playing my games on their consoles rather than an emulator.

And the idea of an Atari game sealed in its box makes no sense to me at all.

Although, the MISB/MIB vs open debate is one I'm more used to seeing in Transformers circles. I don't understand it there either. Now, you can buy some things, say, a Hot Wheels car, and keep it sealed in its box and not miss out on anything. But a Transformer is meant to be TRANSFORMED - if you don't transform it, you're missing the point.

Just like with Atari games... what's the point of owning a cartridge unless it's played? Of course then you can get into the buy-one-to-open, buy-one-to-keep-sealed thing, but that's even worse, I think.

BOTH!

I love to play all the 2600 games I had as a boy, but I also love to collect games I never even heard of because when I was little I would only buy Atari & Activision games, because I thought they were the best, but now that I'm older I want to have all the extras for the Atari that I never had.

:ponder: :love: :ponder:

No offense to anyone, and I don't mean to point fingers at anyone here... but I always have some doubts when people say they collect games to play... mostly because the same people often have 600 or 700 games.

So, you throw away your games as you play them? ;)

Mostly to play, but I do keep my eyes out for a good collection value too.

For example, I wouldn't bother to play Video Life, but if one turned up at a garage sale, I would certainly buy it. Of course I'd also sell it to finance the rest of my carts.

I collect games to play. I am always trying to purchase games I don't have, both to play, and becuase I don't have them. So simply by buying new games to play, I am amassing a "collection." However, unlike most collectors, monetary value is meaningless, condition is not an issue (game just has to work,) and whether it comes with a box/instructions is a mute point. So I guess I do 'collect' games, but only for the sheer pleasure of being able to say at any given time, I can 'play' all my games. The only exceptions to this are my Star Wars titles. Being a huge Star Wars fan, and collector, I went out of my way to purchase these games complete with their boxes, and instructions. Otherwise, give me my games with Actiplaque, ripped labels, and ancient heiroglyphic initials written on the cartiridge. . . just make sure I can play them!!!!!!!

I started collecting to play the games. After a while I realized that many of the games stank royally. I would say my primary aim is to collect. I think it is in my nature. When I was a kid I collected baseball cards. I still have the whole collection, although it has been inactive for over a decade. Same with coins. There is an intangible thrill to collecting things that are no longer in production, knowing that there is only a limited number of said items and having one of them is quite fun, even if it is one of say six million! Also, as a parent of young children, I have little time to play my various titles. I will be doing some arranging soon to maximize the aesthetic value of it all.

I Collect to play. I also play because I collect.

I love the choice factor. I can basicaly play whatever the hell I want, whenever I want :D

Everthing is set up to be played on a moments notice and I regularly cycle through my collection.

I'v also picked up some great games (Sega Bass Fishing w/controller CIB) simply

for my collection. Just for the "I have that one" or the "shit that was cheap" mentality.

And I end up really enjoying games I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to :)

plus I make it a point of hounor to actually sit down with every single game I

own and play it, not just to test that it works and throw it in the pile, but to

actually "play" it

But because I have a few Mega-CD games and 1 gamecube game with

no systems to play them on I have to call myself a collector.

(and the huge N64 sign on my wall tips the scales towards collector too :P )

Not to mention I also love the thrill of the hunt :D ;) :)

PLAY!

Just like with Atari games... what's the point of owning a cartridge unless it's played? Of course then you can get into the buy-one-to-open, buy-one-to-keep-sealed thing, but that's even worse, I think.

So...

Stamp collectors should lick and send out their stamps?

China collectors should drink tea from their 300-year old cups?

Bone collectors should make soup of their dinosaur bones?

Millions of people have been collecting just about anything, regardless of functionality, just for the sake of collecting. Collecting itself is considered a great way of spending your free time.

Anyway, I guess there's no sense in trying to convince you that there is little for you to gain in putting other people's interests down. :roll:

Cheers,

Marco

Collect!

I can't say I don't play my games, but I won't open a sealed game. I just don't see the point when a loose cart would be cheaper. After all, in many cases the sealed game would buy you that game loose, PLUS extra carts for your collection. (I'm obviously not talking about a sealed Combat.)

I am a collectorholic. It started with comics, then toys, and now Atari games. I too like to have items in my collection that look like they came right off the assembly line. I can't really say I collect for resale, I still have Valiant comics in my comic collection for Christ's sakes. I did used to deal in comics and toys way back when, but it was to pay for my habit.

I simply travel WAY too much to sit and play my games for any length of time. But that's also why I love collecting. It give me something to do when I'm on the road and have extra time. Rather than sitting on my butt in the hotel room, I get to go out and find game stores, flea markets, and thrift stores in other towns throughout the U.S. when I have extra time. It also has an added benefit of actually SEEING the places I visit rather than just seeing the places a normal tourist goes.

Collectors and Players alike have deep seated reasons they do what they do. The point to all this is...love what you do. You can't be a collector or a player if you don't love the systems and games you collect for. (Which by the way is the ONE thing we all have in common.) There are people who try, they are called speculators, and they don't stick around long.

Just my 2 cents...

Shrink wrap is good for ONE thing. The Trash.

I think that if you don't play the games, you're wasting your time, and depriving others of enjoyment.

Now if you excuse me, I have to tend to the 'Shrinkwrapped ET' wing of my house. :)

Archived