IGNORED

Jumping problem in Bentley Bear

Pac-Lander

Does anyone else encounter a sort of "muted jump" in Bentley Bear? Like it holds me back from a FULL jump, oftentimes making me come up well short of where I should be landing. 

The only sort of "workaround" I've found is that if I hold DOWN + RIGHT (if I am jumping towards the right of the screen), then it will sometimes allow for the full jump. But I don't think this is the intended control.

Anyone else experience this, and/or have solutions?

Thanks in advance!

I've experienced this too somewhat, but blamed it on my modern controllers. Even if you have a brand new repro NES-style pad, quality is a little dubious. I have a couple of them and one of my controllers, you have to press one of the buttons a little harder than the other. So figured in a case like that where the button contact needs to be made longer to get the full jump, that the button can just flake out and momentarily lose contact. Atari CX-78 joypads aren't so hot either. And the CX-24, forget about it!  lol

Not sure what controller you're using, but an original Genesis pad in good working order, is going to be a higher quality experience via Edladdin's adapters. 

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

I've experienced this too somewhat, but blamed it on my modern controllers. Even if you have a brand new repro NES-style pad, quality is a little dubious. I have a couple of them and one of my controllers, you have to press one of the buttons a little harder than the other. So figured in a case like that where the button contact needs to be made longer to get the full jump, that the button can just flake out and momentarily lose contact. Atari CX-78 joypads aren't so hot either. And the CX-24, forget about it!  lol

Not sure what controller you're using, but an original Genesis pad in good working order, is going to be a higher quality experience via Edladdin's adapters. 

Interesting. I find that this is the single biggest problem I have with an otherwise fantastic game. 

I'm using the CX-78 euro pads.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, aaron1677 said:

Does anyone else encounter a sort of "muted jump" in Bentley Bear? Like it holds me back from a FULL jump, oftentimes making me come up well short of where I should be landing. 

The only sort of "workaround" I've found is that if I hold DOWN + RIGHT (if I am jumping towards the right of the screen), then it will sometimes allow for the full jump. But I don't think this is the intended control.

Anyone else experience this, and/or have solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Just want to ensure you don't have the difficulty switch setting for one button mode while using a two button controller; in which case, Bentley never runs and jumps will be short and stunted.

To ensure two button mode check -prior to starting a game- that:

Player 1/Left Difficulty switch = set to the Right.

Then for the Player 2/Right Difficulty switch = set to the Left for the familiar Super Mario Bros. layout (Button 1 = Fire/Runs | Button 2 = Jumps).  To swap button functionality, set it to the right.

Bob has made mention before, the jump code is straight from Super Mario Bros.  It shouldn't feel muted or held back at all.  See the video below.

• Like 3