IGNORED

How Common Are Brittle 400 Cases?

It's not to much the case but how they pack them for shipping, sorting equipment can drop a package almost 2 stories... anything not secured acts like a missile in the box, many people ship the power brick with the computer and it's loose, it acts as a wrecking ball in transit. Very little survives the trip. Firm styro or other foam around the computer and the brick or other missile in another box with the box all tight and firm and then cushioned all around is a solution that works... many people just ship them separate.. it has to be secure and cushioned... anything with the weight or the Atari computer and the weight of it's transformer power supplies are in need of special care in the material to ship them in. Think of the density of the packaging they shipped in originally...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

To add a data point: the 400 I got recently was very clean and looks in great shape, but the case is very brittle - much more so than the 800 I have.  I couple of bits broke during shipping and I broke one or two bits myself handling it.  Luckily, they were all things I was able to put back together using epoxy and super glue, and it looks good now, but I'd say at least my 400 case is definitely very brittle.

9 hours ago, jamm said:

To add a data point: the 400 I got recently was very clean and looks in great shape, but the case is very brittle - much more so than the 800 I have.  I couple of bits broke during shipping and I broke one or two bits myself handling it.  Luckily, they were all things I was able to put back together using epoxy and super glue, and it looks good now, but I'd say at least my 400 case is definitely very brittle.

chances are fractures were created as the other more noticeable shipping damage was done, your just finishing off what was already started...

Also on a semi unrelated note. I was told by the person who gifted it to me that bought seller she bought it from, said the 400 was used at a CES in the late 70s-early 80s and has 48K of RAM. So I decided to open it up and see for myself. 

I did find what I believe to be an extra RAM card by Intec Peripherals. But it and the chips are copyrighted 1981. Also, the silver lettering on the start says "ATARI / 072" so if anyone could tell me when this was made, I'd be very grateful (I'm assuming it was made in 1981 but I'm not sure).

TL;DR I got scammed, but I'm curious on when the 400 was made.

Edited by Magmavision2000

22 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

That makes sense, but why would Atari use a third party RAM card for a promo computer?

I don't think Atari would use an upgraded 400 as a promo - they would've used an 800. 

It's possible the machine was indeed at a CES show and was upgraded after it ended up in someone else's hands.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 3:52 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

It's not to much the case but how they pack them for shipping, sorting equipment can drop a package almost 2 stories... anything not secured acts like a missile in the box, many people ship the power brick with the computer and it's loose, it acts as a wrecking ball in transit. Very little survives the trip.

I bought a large plastic scientific orchid grow chamber many years ago, pennies on the dollar from the original price (Ebay) and same issue. Idiot let the fluorescent ballast unsecured and it swung around, breaking the lights and scratching the hell out of Mylar coated internal panels. People don't understand how to secure shipping stuff.

On a positive note, not computer related, but after replacing bulbs, we'd pick up plants stores gave away because they were dead and my wife and I'd bring them back life with this thing.

grow.JPG