IGNORED

Season 17 Round 6 - Donkey Kong Jr.

asponge

Ok everyone, I'm not messin' around. No more Mr. Nice Jr... I'm comin' for ya Tempest. Oh, and you guys are right about level 5, woof. Level 5-1 and I was already backtracking on the righthand vines b/c the mess of snapjaws was gettin' ridiculous. Then of course the springboard jump on 5-2...

149,800 Level 5-2

dkjr-149k.thumb.JPG.42156b27b8ed56398139a1e0d4d75e3d.JPG

I think maybe I had a bit of luck b/c before this game, I played a round of DKJr for the 2600 (oh boy) and on Colecovision (so much better, but has its own problems). I then switched over to the NES and my hands were so confused at first. Then muscle memory kicked in.

Edited by fakecortex
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fakecortex said:

I think maybe I had a bit of luck b/c before this game, I played a round of DKJr for the 2600 (oh boy) and on Colecovision (so much better, but has its own problems). I then switched over to the NES and my hands were so confused at first. Then muscle memory kicked in.

What no Intellivision DK Jr?

Only the Atari 8-bit, Colecovision (ADAM), and NES versions of DK Jr are worth checking out.  The Intellivision version is pretty bad, but the 2600 version is the worst.  I so wanted the 8-bit version as a kid since my friend had it and I thought it was great, but my parents said I had too many games as is.  I still remember that conversation 35 years later!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree about the NES version. It's almost arcade perfect.

I played the arcade version but its crazy hard. I don't think I got past the first screen. Also, the screen is vertical instead of horizontal.

I haven't tried the 8-bit version but I love 8-bit Donkey Kong!

Edited by Player One
  • Like 1

Check out the 7800 version fake cortex. It's remarkably similar to the NES. I tried most of the other versions and found them hard to control. The 7800 is the only version that I could play through all the levels(actually the only version I could get past the first screen). 

You're right Tempest. The Coleco Intellivision version is awful. Strangely, its the only port that has the right music at the beginning (during the title screen). There is a new homebrew version for the Intellivision, but I've never played it.

Edited by Player One
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Player One said:

I agree about the NES version. Its almost arcade perfect.

I played the arcade version but its crazy hard. I don't think I got past the first screen. Also, the screen is vertical instead of horizontal.

I haven't tried the 8-bit version but I love 8-bit Donkey Kong!

The NES version is more enjoyable than the arcade because of how the difficulty gradually ramps. The arcade is a quarter muncher.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mbd30 said:

The NES version is more enjoyable than the arcade because of how the difficulty gradually ramps. The arcade is a quarter muncher.

I feel like that's why I usually stayed away from it! But I'm glad to say now that I've spent more time with the NES version, I love it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Player One said:

Check out the 7800 version fake cortex. Its remarkably similar to the NES. I tried most of the other versions and found them hard to control. The 7800 is the only version that I could play through all the levels(actually the only version I could get past the first screen).

I completely forgot about the 7800 version.  I don't think I ever played that one.

Came across this comparison video between the 7800 and NES versions.  The 7800 doesn't quite measure up...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I completely forgot about the 7800 version.  I don't think I ever played that one.

Came across this comparison video between the 7800 and NES versions.  The 7800 doesn't quite measure up...

Not too shabby tho! I mean, compared to all the other versions I've seen. Graphics aside, it's all about how it plays. I mean, we can all agree the 2600 version looks fantastic, but how does it play? ??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

Not too shabby tho! I mean, compared to all the other versions I've seen. Graphics aside, it's all about how it plays. I mean, we can all agree the 2600 version looks fantastic, but how does it play? ??

The Atari 2600 version plays as good as it looks.

• Haha 2

1305465647_DonkeyKongJr.png.5ea4be97b6f1ec1b0814307c8911822c.png

A small improvement.  It's supposed to be rainy here tomorrow so I'm hoping for a few more attempts.

15-6

Baseball1.png.9873745b84577cae2ebf73fe0a27e2f9.png Baseball.png.937a833d096bda036e46803fee211dde.png

I goofed and hit start at the wrong time trying to get a shot of the final scoreboard.  I took a couple of shots beforehand because I wasn't sure if I'd have an opportunity later.

Oh, and I got +44 on Golf so watch out!  When I put this up as a bonus game I checked an old AA thread to determine what might make sense with regard to handing out points.  Tonight was the first time I've ever played it.  Based on those scores I assumed that under par was somewhat achievable.  Apparently those guys back when were just crushing it.  This is definitely one where if you want the points you'll have to earn them.  I will say though it'd be nice if the game told you how far the ball was away from the pin.  Guessing the distance from the map is pretty challenging.

• Like 1

Getting under par for golf is definitely doable, it just takes a lot of practice.  If you took notes each time you went through a hole you could easily do it in a few tries.  The thing is, who has that kind of time or patience?  It was fun back in the day for sure, but if I'm going to spend a lot of time on a golf game it's going to be something more fun like Neo Turfmasters.

8 hours ago, asponge said:

15-6

That's a lot of runs in Baseball! In real life and NES! I want to do better at that game, it's just so painful to get through. Nice job!

8 hours ago, asponge said:

Oh, and I got +44 on Golf so watch out!  When I put this up as a bonus game I checked an old AA thread to determine what might make sense with regard to handing out points.  Tonight was the first time I've ever played it.  Based on those scores I assumed that under par was somewhat achievable.  Apparently those guys back when were just crushing it.  This is definitely one where if you want the points you'll have to earn them.  I will say though it'd be nice if the game told you how far the ball was away from the pin.  Guessing the distance from the map is pretty challenging.

I saw the same scores the other night from your HSC database (nice job with that btw!) I agree, those guys were insane. I don't know if I'll get below par, but I'd like to beat the title screen, which I'm tied with atm. I have a lot of fun with it, but since it's so long, there's a lot of opportunities to screw everything up at the end. So long as it stays fun for me and not frustrating, I'm game.

47 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Getting under par for golf is definitely doable, it just takes a lot of practice.  If you took notes each time you went through a hole you could easily do it in a few tries.  The thing is, who has that kind of time or patience?  It was fun back in the day for sure, but if I'm going to spend a lot of time on a golf game it's going to be something more fun like Neo Turfmasters.

As a personal challenge, I can see myself continuing with Golf after this season. I've been using that FAQ for guidance, but I need to make notes for adjustments that I've been making. I'm not into golf enough to check out other games, just yet, so my NES patience level is high for it, lol. Baseball...not so much.

Just now, fakecortex said:

As a personal challenge, I can see myself continuing with Golf after this season. I've been using that FAQ for guidance, but I need to make notes for adjustments that I've been making. I'm not into golf enough to check out other games, just yet, so my NES patience level is high for it, lol. Baseball...not so much.

I glanced at that FAQ when I was playing but after the first few holes it didn't help at all so I just winged it.  You have to learn to hook and slice the ball on purpose though, you can't rely on hitting the ball in straight lines the entire game.

25 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I glanced at that FAQ when I was playing but after the first few holes it didn't help at all so I just winged it.  You have to learn to hook and slice the ball on purpose though, you can't rely on hitting the ball in straight lines the entire game.

? Purposefully using the gauge outside of the "max" is where the real skill comes in. It's also very satisfying when you get a feel for the right club to use.