IGNORED

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer coming to Switch

Hydro Thunder

13 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I got insider news saying it's gonna be the GBC version. 

I might look into this when it gets released, I've never played it, but I liked the movie so hopefully, this is just as good.

I actually really like the GBC version...

I wish I had mine here with me, but I left it in the USA. It has been some time since I played it, but I imagine it's super awkward to play it in a GBA SP because the cart is so huge.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/star_wars_episode_i_racer_is_no_longer_speeding_onto_the_nintendo_switch_today

Day of release announcement of indefinite delay.  Hm.  No video of the game released yet... I am now going from around an 8 out of 10 excitement for this to oh, 4/10.  Unprofessional and messy, with a vague aftertaste of possible vaporware, or at the least of a team with little regard for fans / schedules / communication.  No follow up with an even vague new release date.  Come on people.  Grrr.

• Confused 1

Sorry but work at home environment is not a valid excuse.  I've had to work from home for nearly 11 years now, and recently has been challenging to say the least with people stuck here, especially my adhd+odd riddled kid who goes nuts and cares nothing for boundaries.  I still got my work done and at an acceptable time.  I have little pity or mercy for people bitching about work at home as a reason to not get stuff done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Did they ever say if it's the PC version or the console version? I've still not seen anything about this, and I don't particularly want it if it's the console version. There is no way the Switch can't run the PC version.

From what I've seen, there's no information apart from the original release date of 5/12, a price of $14.99, and a mock-up screenshot of it running on switch.

I'm confused by Disney allowing this developer to behave so unprofessionally, and in seriousness wonder if this is a vapor trail.  I don't get the endgame (what would the benefit be to talking about a game like this if it's not to be, or not to be anytime soon?), but even if the game does show up now tbh I am not expecting a nicely done product.  Probably a sloppy hack of the PC game code, or something. :(

5 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

From what I've seen, there's no information apart from the original release date of 5/12, a price of $14.99, and a mock-up screenshot of it running on switch.

I'm confused by Disney allowing this developer to behave so unprofessionally, and in seriousness wonder if this is a vapor trail.  I don't get the endgame (what would the benefit be to talking about a game like this if it's not to be, or not to be anytime soon?), but even if the game does show up now tbh I am not expecting a nicely done product.  Probably a sloppy hack of the PC game code, or something. :(

Yes, this is all that I've seen as well. I guess there's nothing to do but wait to see what happens with it.

• 1 month later...

I kind of want it, and $30 isn't a problem, but I've so played the hell out of it on N64 and have an everdrive these days it's like...ehhhhh should I?  Also it's already on GoG, and like STeam it gets sales and already chops down by like I think last I saw either 33 or 50% so it's cheap and not system bound either.  I took the same tact a bit too late sadly though with Wonderboy and Monsterboy as they're better off there too, same with Yooka Laylee I couldn't stomach $50 for on Switch so I nabbed it at $15.  Some stuff I'm fine with like SOR4, Panzer Dragoon, Blaster Master 0 1+2 as they made more sense.

It's $15 on Switch right now, and reviews are mostly positive.  The graphics are HD but not redone from scratch; it's not a remake like Panzer Dragoon, but rather a reskin of the older game.  Supposedly controls are much improved and tighter, but nothing else is different.  And as such, the game is (allegedly) a bit too easy, the upgrades don't really have any noticeable effects, and the cutscenes are outrageously dated.  

I will probably get it, but my expectations are mid-level.  Likely worth about the price of $15, or maybe not quite.

So it's basically a conversion of the updated PC version on GoG (and Steam) then as I thought?  Makes it a really tough call on Switch because I'd have to buy physical which is $30, or I could snag it for $15 (or as low as I think $7.50 on sale) through GoG.  I used to love this game and even when I was getting worn out on racers I did all the courses on N64.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So it's basically a conversion of the updated PC version on GoG (and Steam) then as I thought?  Makes it a really tough call on Switch because I'd have to buy physical which is $30, or I could snag it for $15 (or as low as I think $7.50 on sale) through GoG.  I used to love this game and even when I was getting worn out on racers I did all the courses on N64.

For me $15 for digital is too much. $30 for physical isn't bad though and if you think about it the N64 game was probably $60. I'll probably get a physical copy for collecting and get the digital on sale to actually play.

$15 is like my 1 in 100+ and it would have to be extremely useful and likely to get so much hours of time to be worth it which almost any digital game (GoG excluded since you get free standing downloads) is worth to me.  Usually $10 is tops, prefer less because it's a rental.  That's why I pointed out the $7.50 I saw it at last sale.  $30 physical is very fair, my problem is it's a re-run and an easily accessible one too for a very low cost so it's harder to go for.

So it seems this is the PC version, but I've not gotten around to buying it yet. Honestly, I have lots of new games that I've not beaten yet and I beat Episode I Racer in like 2000 or so. Still, perhaps I'll get it eventually once I play the 9 other new games I've bought in the past few weeks.

22 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

For me $15 for digital is too much. $30 for physical isn't bad though and if you think about it the N64 game was probably $60. I'll probably get a physical copy for collecting and get the digital on sale to actually play.

There's also the fact that the physical version is by Limited Run Games and preorders close in August, so you won't get the physical copy until next year...

• 4 weeks later...

Today is the last day to get the game on cart. Better get it now before the only way is Ebay.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/nintendo/products/switch-limited-run-77-star-wars-episode-i-racer

Also, I got a chance to play this on a friends Switch a few days ago and I thought it was amazing. The graphics look amazing and the controls are excellent. I just have to have the patience for a sale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...