IGNORED

Java/J2me atari ports??

wapchimp

Any-one here programme java/j2me & considered porting any classic atari games for SonyEricsson mobile phones??

I would pay for breakout or any older classic atari game :love:

I have played space invaders (which was brilliant on the nokia 7650) pong & asteriods. But to see some more classic atari games available would be brilliant.

see http://www.ericsson.com & goto the developers forum for a white paper if interested. I can host them on my wap site for downloads :D

Thats good news - I know nothing about programming, else I'd love to have a crack at it - I can give you the links to the white papers if you don't want to register @ ericsson. This includes the T310/T610 mobile phone plus the java standards for that handset :D

I know nothing about programming, else I'd love to have a crack at it

Wapchimp -- I don't want to pick on you or anything, so don't take this wrong :) -- but, I've heard a lot of people say basically the same thing you did, i.e, I really want to do X but I don't know how... this sounds like a perfect opportunity to learn about something you want to do (well, maybe not start out gunning for a big game project, but you have to start somewhere). If I was in your position, I'd go out, get a book or two on beginning programming, and read through it inside and out. Since you've already expressed an interest in Java, go get a Java book, download the JDK from java.sun.com, get yourself an text editor you like (Notepad is an okay choice in this case), and start learning. The good thing is that since it appears you already have a computer, the only additional costs are the book and your time.

It's really funny sometimes watching beginners in programming. Either they a) are unsure of themselves, when all the really need is just a good start or b) are full of themselves, and probably couldn't write a program to save their life. I think it sounds as if you are in category A, so go out, get that book, and start demystifying the idea of programming :)

@SmileyDude - cheers holmes :D

I did try the 2600 programming thread - like using DASM & assmbler/c/c+ etc. I could not get on with it.

I did want to learn to programme for the lynx, but there seems a lack of support from a beginners point of view (even with all the programming sites out there etc)

If I knew there was someone to help or a very good beginners tutorial, sure I'd give it a go!!

I am also one of the front page express generation, so in my ignorance am not used to compiling my own code, but just editing it here & there ;)

I'd start with something outside the Atari, at first. The Atari is a fun machine to work with, but if you don't have the basics down, you can end up learning the wrong way to do something (The Atari is very forgiving about such things :) ). I still stand by the Java recomendation. Go get a good Java book, and work through it. From there, you can branch out and learn other things (C, C++, assembly...). Java will give you the basics of programming, without bogging you down with a whole lot of details.

And, if you get good at it, you might be able to get a job doing it :)

Good Luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just for information, I was going to attempt a J2ME conversion of Space Treat, but then relized that many small and fast moving little objects on screen would probably be too blurred on a cellular phone's display.. Might still pick up the project again someday :)

Rasty.-

breakout or pong would be easy (ish)

Yea but you always have to think how good the little bouncing balls will (not) look on the not-exactly TFT tiny screens cell phones currently mount..

And the controls: both breakout and pong quite suck without analog :ponder:

Of course, from a programming point of view they'd be easy ;)

Regards!

Rasty.-

There have been officially licensed j2me versions of Space Invaders, Frogger, Pac-Man, (INTV) Astrosmash, Monkey Ball (a 2D version), and lots of other old or "new with classic-like play" games on the Sprint PCS "Vision" phones. And for every licensed game there's at least a couple of knockoffs out there, though rarely do they seem to include source so you can learn.

I haven't messed with games on my phone since I realized it was HORRIBLE to play games on (this is the Sanyo 4900 PCS phone) but a good place to start looking at what's out there was http://www.3gupload.com last time I looked.

There have been officially licensed j2me versions of Space Invaders, Frogger, Pac-Man, (INTV) Astrosmash, Monkey Ball (a 2D version), and lots of other old or "new with classic-like play" games on the Sprint PCS "Vision" phones.

I've tested once Astrosmash on a B/W Motorola and, quite frankly, wasn't impressed by it. The problem wasn't much with the technical realization, but with the controls that were just too bad for the kind of fast action required. Definitely not the kind of game I'd port to a mobile!

Regards!

Rasty.-

I read up on MIDP 2.0, the J2ME thing for cell phones. It actually looks pretty easy. I have more of a time issue than a skills issue...not gonna try a cell phone game until I finish my Lynx game. Oh yeah, and MIDP 2 phones aren't out yet, I don't think, but they should be out soon.

Eric

• 6 years later...