IGNORED

Monitor the system locally

SpiceWare

Tesla released an update that lets you better control how the car charges during a power outage:

IMG_0891.thumb.png.d7e13d778e040eafa0ac0795a8280ea9.png

While reading up on it in I spotted a section on how to monitor the system during a power outage that includes a link to Connecting to Tesla Gateway. After following those instructions, to connect your computer/mobile device to the Gateway's WiFI, you can monitor the system via your web browser.

2124298901_ScreenShot2020-04-21at3_06_49PM.thumb.png.cec1db7a927d9847f65236165e08aae0.png

I've encounter 3 different scenarios with power failures:

1. cutover so fast I don't even notice
  2. cutover that flickers the lights. Clocks keep their time, but non-UPS computers might shut down
  3. slow cutover that causes lights to briefly cut out, clocks to lose time, and non-UPS computers to shut down

I suspect the difference is due to what happened with the power.  My guess would be #1 occurs with a clean cutoff, #2 with a power surge, and #3 with a brownout.

As such, I've kept my computers on UPSs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I've encounter 3 different scenarios with power failures:

1. cutover so fast I don't even notice
  2. cutover that flickers the lights. Clocks keep their time, but non-UPS computers might shut down
  3. slow cutover that causes lights to briefly cut out, clocks to lose time, and non-UPS computers to shut down

I suspect the difference is due to what happened with the power.  My guess would be #1 occurs with a clean cutoff, #2 with a power surge, and #3 with a brownout.

As such, I've kept my computers on UPSs.

Does the Powerwall not switchover fast enough to use it in place of individual UPSs?  Or do you not have it setup that way?  That would be one of the main reasons I'd want a solar/battery setup.  And of course I would like to generate my own electricity for the house and cars...

..Al

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

Does the Powerwall not switchover fast enough to use it in place of individual UPSs?

Most of the time it's fast enough.  It's switched over 24 times in the past year and I've only had to reset clocks 2 or 3 times.

IMG_0898.thumb.png.9a611e19b2cd451ee6f7a317d4192677.png

On 4/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, Albert said:

Disappointing that it seems to fail around 10% of the time.  I wonder if that's typical.

I've been pondering on this - maybe it's related to only having 1 Powerwall, which supports everything except AC and car charging. Might be that a power loss when those are active results in #3.