IGNORED

BASIC Sudoku solver

With the current virus lockdown in place the government has been sending me tips on how to use up my spare  time and they said that  doing puzzles like Sudoku is a good idea. Well I had a better idea, write a program to solve the puzzles !

Below is my first go at it. I am quite proud of the GUI but then I decided to make the logic just WORK :P.

The worst offender is that the column routine is just a copy and paste of the rows and called with a GOTO.

Not finished by a long way but here it is. Will solve about 85% of puzzles you will find in newspapers.

SUDOKU.BAS SUDOKU.TXT

• Like 3

Nice.  I've never actually played the game but gave this a shot using the example in the Wikipedia article.

There used to be a word game in a newspaper I bought each day back in the 90s.  I can't remember exactly how it worked but I think it was where you started with a 5 or 6 letter word then had to change a letter at a time to get to the target word at the bottom.

Feeling "lazy" I wrote a SAS program on the mainframe that produced every possible combination then displayed it so you could choose your own solution.

1 hour ago, Graham Dearsley said:

With the current virus lockdown in place the government has been sending me tips on how to use up my spare  time and they said that  doing puzzles like Sudoku is a good idea. Well I had a better idea, write a program to solve the puzzles !

Below is my first go at it. I am quite proud of the GUI but then I decided to make the logic just WORK :P.

The worst offender is that the column routine is just a copy and paste of the rows and called with a GOTO.

Not finished by a long way but here it is. Will solve about 85% of puzzles you will find in newspapers.

SUDOKU.BAS 6.29 kB · 5 downloads SUDOKU.TXT 7.21 kB · 6 downloads

Cool I wrote a sudoku solver in C a few years back when I was bored.   Like you it solves maybe 85% of puzzles I throw at it.   The ones it can't solve always require a technique by the person that seems rather tedious to turn into code.

I've always wanted to code a "Crypto Quote Solver".  Those puzzles where they change every letter to another?    I once wrote something that could aid you,  but I always wanted to see if I could make one that could solve it on it's own.   I already have a dictionary of words in data form that it can use.

Edited by zzip
spelling

And not surprising looking at the wiki article. Wayne Gould spent 6 years devising a program to create Sudoku puzzles and it says he became one of the worlds most influential people !

Seeing as the papers charge good money for a same day solution I wonder if I am wasting another day of not being seriously rich (A quote from the Young ones TV series, the Oil episode) ? 

In theory couldn't you just populate a few cells with random numbers, ensuring they don't invalidate the solution.  Then run the remainder of the program.

Once finished you create your puzzle by deleting everything except a small subset of what's there.

I'm guessing any valid Sudoku problem starts with at least one number in every row/column so that only one result is possible?

OK... I guess you could seed a puzzle and make it unsolvable pretty easily.

Is there some method they use to generate the ones you see in newspapers/books?  Or would they likely be brute-force computer generated with invalid ones just thrown out?

10 hours ago, Rybags said:

In theory couldn't you just populate a few cells with random numbers, ensuring they don't invalidate the solution.  Then run the remainder of the program.

Once finished you create your puzzle by deleting everything except a small subset of what's there.

I'm guessing any valid Sudoku problem starts with at least one number in every row/column so that only one result is possible?

Yes,  You could use recursion where if it picks a wrong number that leads to an invalid solution, it simply backtracks and tries the next number.   Repeat until you come up with a minimum set of numbers that lead to a solution.

Not sure how well this would work on an 8-bit though using recursion, you'd probably want to do it on something with more power.

Hi!

On 4/30/2020 at 10:39 AM, Graham Dearsley said:

SUDOKU.BAS 6.29 kB · 11 downloads SUDOKU.TXT 7.21 kB · 13 downloads

Great program.

Long time ago I programmed a sudoku solver in C using the "dancing links" algorithm, then tried porting it to Atari using CC65, but uses too much RAM so it is not possible to implement directly - the algorithm uses a matrix with the cells in two linked lists, for sudoku the matrix is 729x324 = 236196 cells in size!

So, I programmed an approximation to the algorithm using bits for the cells, so the full matrix is only 29889 bytes. Today I ported the program to FastBasic and added an interface similar to your program. This program can solve any solvable sudoku, and even generate a new sudoku if you specify too few filled numbers at the start.

To make the program faster, I implemented four routines in machine-language, included are FastBasic sources and assembly. Sadly, you need current development version to compile it.

Have Fun!

sudoku-accel.asm sudoku-scr.fb sudoku-scr.xex

• Like 3

I am working my way through the book "Programming Principles and Practice using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

This is partly to update me from C to modern C++ but mostly to improve my practice ?.

I tried to make the GUI in my Sudoku program follow best practice by calling subroutines like functions (given local variables are still global) and then gave up on that with the logic ?

Has anyone been able to make the full tick graphics routines in that book work ? 

Hi!

12 hours ago, Graham Dearsley said:

I am working my way through the book "Programming Principles and Practice using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

This is partly to update me from C to modern C++ but mostly to improve my practice ?.

I tried to make the GUI in my Sudoku program follow best practice by calling subroutines like functions (given local variables are still global) and then gave up on that with the logic ?

Has anyone been able to make the full tick graphics routines in that book work ? 

I haven't read that book, but I see that it uses the "fltk" (Fast Light Took Kit) library for the graphics examples. Perhaps you have to install FLTK separately before compiling the examples?

It seems an odd choice to use that library in the book, as it is very old and not pretty, but it is simple indeed.

Have Fun!

Hi!

13 hours ago, MrFish said:

Is there a list somewhere of planned features for the next release version?

You can list issues assigned to a milestones on github:

- Already implemented: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/milestone/2?closed=1

- Planed: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/milestone/2

Also, there are a few minor bug-fixes already, and the change to allow accessing DATA from assembly code.

Have Fun!

• Like 1