IGNORED

TIPI Problem

curtludwig

Hey all,

After a couple years of being ignored my TIPI (sidecar model) is apparently mad at me. It doesn't seem to be recognized by my TI. The power supply is definitely putting out power, is the red light on the TIPI supposed to come on? Its been so long I don't remember...

What about the LED on the 32K RAM module? Its from Arcade shopper, same vintage, September 2018.

Was wanting to play some ToD tonight, guess I shouldn't have left it alone so long. ;)

Hey there's a support topic you should use that for support :)

Number one issue is probably power are you powering your 32k with an external power supply providing 5 volts? Is your 32k set to ext for external power?

Most of the time if you plug in the 32k to external power with the console turned off the light will turn on. otherwise the light on either unit is off until it is accessed by the ti as soon as you turn on the console the TIPI light will flash once during the power up DSR check

The best simplest test is to type CALL TIPI in basic if you get BAD NAME then TIPI has no power or is not responding

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes and yes. This configuration worked in the past.

I got the case off to better troubleshoot, the LED on the RAM expansion comes on when I plug it into the TI but goes out when I power on the TI. To make the LED on the RAM expansion come back on I have to power down and back up, it stays on until the TI is powered on.

Edit: CALL TIPI gives BAD NAME so no response from the TIPI.

Edit2: The TIPI light blinks when I turn the TI on but then stays out. SIZE in extended basic suggests the 32K of RAM is available.

Edit3: If I remove the TIPI from the RAM expander the light on the RAM expander does not come on.

Edited by curtludwig

I'm thinking you're right, I dragged out an HDMI cable and keyboard. The PI shows up and I can login, I can see the TI99 services listed toward the end of boot and everything seems okay.

No speech synthesizer. The only difference between this config and the last time I used it is the power supply on the TI as my other one seems to have a bad connector. I guess I'll see if I can make the old power supply work one more time, then I'll try to reseat the ROM.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I have the same exact issue.  I can see the TIPI in Windows File Explorer "\\TIPI\tipi", but on the TI, a CALL TIPI gives "BAD NAME".

EDIT- I got it working.  I removed the 32K, separated the TIPI from it, pressed the EPROM chip into the socket,and reconnected everything.  Not sure if it was the re-seating the edge conector of the 32K, the TIPI, or the EPROM chip, but it's working now.  🙂

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler
  • Like 2