IGNORED

5200 Graphics Display Program

I'm not to familiar with the Atari 400 or 800 computer lines, but I do have an Atari 5200 and know some people have successfully ported some programs from the 400 to work on the 5200.  So that made me wonder, if it could be possible to have a graphics display program for the 5200 that could display graphics on ones TV when not playing games.  Naturally this would have to work out of the Atarimax because the program and all the graphics would need to reside in one directory.

I don't really play games much, but my 5200 would sure get some use if it could display images on the TV for hours on end.  Of course the graphics themselves would be another issue...

As long as the demo requires no more than 16K RAM / 32K ROM and does not rely on the computer OS for anything it could be recompiled for a standard 5200 Cart image; the hardware has the GTIA, ANTIC and POKEY, but mapped to different addresses than the computers.  You'd have to patch any keyboard / controller input, though.

In theory yes but even on the computer few worthwhile programs exist to do slideshows (to make it worthwhile you'd probably want RastaConverter pics as your slideshow).  Much of those should fit within the 32K cartridge window.

I'm guessing that the Atarimax 5200 Ultimate SD cart should be able to handle such a chore.

• Like 2

Yes!  A simple slideshow program would be perfect in whatever format an author chose to use.  For the TI-99/4A an Uber Programmer by the name of @Tursi also wrote a PC program that can take any image and convert it to a TI format.  I do not know if a program similar to that exists for the Atari 400 or 800, but if it did it would take care of the image issue.  One thing is certain, my 5200 would get a lot of action for a change.