IGNORED

Unusual NES cleaning method

Well, last week my NES went on the frits (I get the flashing gray screen) as always. I usually end up cleaning all of my carts, but they weren't dirty. Being a broke ass dude with no money, I was a bit hurt. Because I couldn't afford a cleaning kit or a new pin connector. But they I gave it a cleaning, and it works perfect now (except my Double Dragon 2 still ended up dirty, DAMN you people who never kept the sleeves for your games, then sell them to stores)

Here's what I did:

I took the system apart until there was just the main board and pin connector in the case.

Got a brand new toothbrush that came with Costco size toothpaste.

Scrubbed pin connector with alchohol and new toothbrush

I tried it out and it worked pretty good, but not perfect. I wanted perfect. So I did the unthinkable.

I disasembled the NES again till is was like the 1st time I cleaned it

I took my Ghostbusters cart (pretty damn common and can be replaced for 2 bucks)

I searched for an old, but clean T-shirt that was very thin, but had no lint ball comming off of it.

Put the T-shirt cloth over the exposed part of the cartridge. Put a propper about of alchohol (damp, not wet) on the cloth where it would make contact with the pin connector

And jammed that mofo just up its electronic crevis 5 times. It came out looking like someone wiped their ass on it.

My NES now works better than when I got it new back in 89 (I know, a little late). I could have ended up breaking my system, but it was worth it. Now I have to ask this neighbor kid with 5 broken Nintendo's if he wants them taken off of his hands. :roll:

My NES had a piece of cardboard crammed up in the cart connector.

Althena only knows how it got there.

I found an NES that someone had destroyed by trying to remove a plastic bag that had been jammed in the cart slot. With a fork. The connector pins were either broken off or sticking out of the connector.

My NES had a piece of cardboard crammed up in the cart connector.

Althena only knows how it got there.

I found an NES that someone had destroyed by trying to remove a plastic bag that had been jammed in the cart slot. With a fork. The connector pins were either broken off or sticking out of the connector.

Gah.

I used tweezers and a pocket knife, and was real careful about not ripping pins out.

I think the cardboard had been there a while.

Dunno why I hadn't noticed my games weren't going in all the way, though.

You know, for a company that claimed in court that it had to do all manufacturing of cartridges so they could meet its high quality standards, I've found more defective Nintendo systems and cartridges than any other company.

Anyone else finding the same to hold true?

Atari may have never learned to make a cartridge-slot dust cover, but you can drive a truck over the cartridges and they still work.

You know, for a company that claimed in court that it had to do all manufacturing of cartridges so they could meet its high quality standards, I've found more defective Nintendo systems and cartridges than any other company.

Anyone else finding the same to hold true?  

My manufacturing problems extend to a copy of Final Fantasy with a bad weld on the backup battery.

Every so often it has to be opened up, because only one tab is welded down, and the other gradually flexes away untill there's a gap and you lose save data.

This has been suggested before numerous times in these forums, but this little six dollar connector truly IS the solution to bad cartridge connection woes:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mc....jsp?id=83-3785

I just got one this week, and for the first time EVER my NES works the first time with all my carts... even the Ikari Warriors cart that I could NEVER get to work before. Highly recommended and thanks to all who suggested it![/url]

Hi! Derek here.

The only way that I found (after experimenting with three units) to keep a NES working was: 1. Take it apart and use 220 or so sandpaper to clean the contacts, same with the games. 2. Leave the top half of the plastic cabinet unscrewed so that when you get the flashing colors screen you can lift off the top and wiggle the cartridge SLOWLY as you will be waiting to see the start up screen float up the tv screen. When it does give you this you have found the spot that that cartridge is happy to work at. Each game will be different, so there is no point in ever screwing the unit back together as you cannot get your fingers in the hole to wiggle it with the top on. Don't worry about electric shock, there is only 12 volts going through this. 3. If it still doesn't work, then breathe several breaths onto the end of the cartridge. The official manual says that moisture across the contacts will result in fried games, but in reality it fixes the problem, though sometimes if that is what made it work, then the game will often freeze up after a while. A big deal if you are playing Mario Bros 3 and a couple of hours have passed!!!

Hope this helps! Derek.

Hi! Derek here.

The only way that I found (after experimenting with three units) to keep a NES working was: 1. Take it apart and use 220 or so sandpaper to clean the contacts, same with the games. 2. Leave the top half of the plastic cabinet unscrewed so that when you get the flashing colors screen you can lift off the top and wiggle the cartridge SLOWLY as you will be waiting to see the start up screen float up the tv screen. When it does give you this you have found the spot that that cartridge is happy to work at. Each game will be different, so there is no point in ever screwing the unit back together as you cannot get your fingers in the hole to wiggle it with the top on. Don't worry about electric shock, there is only 12 volts going through this. 3. If it still doesn't work, then breathe several breaths onto the end of the cartridge. The official manual says that moisture across the contacts will result in fried games, but in reality it fixes the problem, though sometimes if that is what made it work, then the game will often freeze up after a while. A big deal if you are playing Mario Bros 3 and a couple of hours have passed!!!

Hope this helps! Derek.

I found Avid Fan's method of system cleansing VERY useful! I took my system apart (as i had done many times before) and used a T-shirt and alcohol and cleaned the pins. My problems of having to leave the top of like Derek suggested is finally over. I tested all of my games and almost all of them worked on the first insertion of the cartridge. This new method has breathed life back into my dying system. Bless you Avid Fan!!

Minty

If your gonna get a new pin connector. Go on EBAY and get a gold one. It wont corrode.

Another useful tip courtesy of Avid Fan

Most of my games are bare and dont have the black slip covers.

I noticed that most of my games in the slips weren't working. It had me pissed because those are MY original games I got brand new back in the 80's early 90's.

I looked at the bottom of the slip covers and they were covered with dust. I hooked up a hose to my faucet and flushed those bad boys out with scalding hot water. They work now. A very easy thing to overlook.

Hi

I am in the market for some new NES pin connectors for my NES.

I did a quick Ebay search and I was looking for the GOLD connectors as someone mentioned and here is what someone had said about them:

"These PREMIUM GRADE connectors will outlast the GOLD verisons. Gold 72-pin connectors are not as strong and the gold plating tends to flake off the connector pin. Basically gold connectors are the standard NES silver pin connectors that has been plated with a gold plating. Our connectors do not have this gold plating that wears off. We also use the redesigned pins that are a lot stronger."

Can someone elborate on the different kinds of NES pin connectors?

Thanks in advance

I definetly need to get one of these, just not sure what type.

ant