IGNORED

Genny, CD and 32x - a love story

I was setting up my "arcade" room in my new house last night and came upon all of my various Sega crap. For the first time I set up the Genny1 with the Sega CD and the 32x all as one gigantic unit. Previously I just had 2 different setups of Genny2/CD and Genny1/32x. It's pretty funny how many wires, AC supplies and weird brackets you have to setup to make this system work.

At the moment it's my favorite, not because of ther games, but becuase of the bizarro engineering involved in this thing. When my wife saw all of the wires and stuff she insisted I had to be doing something wrong. I fired it up and proved her wrong :D Soon I plan on trying to get the stereo part of it to work which will involve even more wires!

It's in my Saturn Kiosk. :)

It's nice the way they have all the power plugs turned so you can put multiple power bricks side by side. Most surge protectors go inline and you can only fit a couple power supplies on each strip. I use to have a Genesis/CD/32x all set up in it. Plus there is a light in the bottom and the monitor/TV but everything fits nicely.

I was setting up my "arcade" room in my new house last night and came upon all of my various Sega crap.  For the first time I set up the Genny1 with the Sega CD and the 32x all as one gigantic unit.  Previously I just had 2 different setups of Genny2/CD and Genny1/32x.  It's pretty funny how many wires, AC supplies and weird brackets you have to setup to make this system work.

At the moment it's my favorite, not because of ther games, but becuase of the bizarro engineering involved in this thing.  When my wife saw all of the wires and stuff she insisted I had to be doing something wrong. I fired it up and proved her wrong :D   Soon I plan on trying to get the stereo part of it to work which will involve even more wires!

Errrr...

Whouldn't it be easier to put the 32x on the Gen2/SCD? Stereo sound without any real effort.

Errrr...

Whouldn't it be easier to put the 32x on the Gen2/SCD? Stereo sound without any real effort.

True, except that the 32x doesn't fit well on the Gen2 without a spacer. I don't have the spacer as I bought it used. If I had one, that is the way, I'd go.

Errrr...

True, except that the 32x doesn't fit well on the Gen2 without a spacer. I don't have the spacer as I bought it used. If I had one, that is the way, I'd go.

Ah.

I never had a 32x to play with.

Also something to think about, if you're running a Genesis 1 with a 32x on top, and using stereo A/V cables from your 32x, you're not recieving true stereo from any of your Genesis games. The 32x connects to the A/V out of the Genesis 1, which is mono only. So you have to come off the headphone jack to get true stereo with that model.

Yeah I know about the stereo hook up with the Genny1 and the headphones jack but maybe someone can tell me this:

If I run a cable from the Gen1 headphone to the CD's "mixing" connector, then run RCA cables from the CD's out, is the 32x in stereo then? I think it would be, because the regular Genny carts and the CD would be in this hook up.

Maybe I should just look around harder for a spacer to use my Genny2 :ponder:

If I run a cable from the Gen1 headphone to the CD's "mixing" connector, then run RCA cables from the CD's out, is the 32x in stereo then?  

I'm not sure if it'll work that way or not. You can try it tell us. :) I remember playing around with my 32x when I first found one tring to figure it out, and I seem to recall something not working that way. Maybe the sound works but the picture doesn't or vice versa. Maybe neither. I think I recall in Virtual Racing where the backgrounds were on screen but the cars & other graphics were not. Like only part of the graphics wre being displayed. But I believe t's coming from the 32x, and not back thru the Sega Genesis/CD.

It's in my Saturn Kiosk. :)  

It's nice the way they have all the power plugs turned so you can put multiple power bricks side by side.  Most surge protectors go inline and you can only fit a couple power supplies on each strip.  I use to have a Genesis/CD/32x all set up in it.  Plus there is a light in the bottom and the monitor/TV but everything fits nicely.

This is the one reason I like the N64 and GameCube power cords. The Cube has the box separate from the plug.

I really hate how much space those damn bricks take up. They can cover up three whole ports it's sickening. Whoever came up with that idea has to be shot dead in the street because he must have been smoking Pot when he thought it'd be a GOOD idea to waste so much space like that.

Proof that the Turbo Graphx was supreme in that its power supply was a seperate brick with a regular plug extended from it.

Very true, while setting up my systems I was admiring everything about my TG16+CD, especially the power cord! I wish it had longer controller cords though...

The very worst power brick is also for my 2nd all time fav system. The Colecovision brick is huge, gets very hot, and weighs 85 pounds.

Proof that the Turbo Graphx was supreme in that its power supply was a seperate brick with a regular plug extended from it.

Exactly. It's a relief that Nintendo decided to be smart and use that idea for the N64 and GameCube. I have enough systems with bricks. (NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast and if I could find it, Atari 2600) I don't need more.

I want that one with the word Sega on it. That is very useful.

I wish it had longer controller cords though...

Yeah it's only downfall. :| Or if you get into the other systems like Turbo Duo and then you have to buy all new controllers, as they are not cross compatible. :(

I thought it's downfall was poor marketing. 'Least as far as America was concerned.

I wish it had longer controller cords though...

Yeah it's only downfall. :| Or if you get into the other systems like Turbo Duo and then you have to buy all new controllers, as they are not cross compatible. :(

well, technically they are. You were able to buy and adapter "Turbo Grafx to Turbo Duo" or something like that I think it was called. It enabled you to use regularer pads on the Duo. I have some of them somewhere around here. But yea the power cord situation on the TG and Duo was perfect ;)

Yeah I know about the adapters too, but seeing as the System was backwards compatible, it would of been nice if the controllers were too. I think the Duo shares the same size port as the PC Engine and other Jap versions. But since the Duo and the TG16 only have one controller port, it makes it a pain, trying to play multiplayer games, when you have a TG16 multiplayer hookup running thru the adapter, and a Duo controller that can't be used on it. Or use the Duo controller and can't use the TG16 arcade sticks. :( I still need to pick up some Duo accessories.

But yea the power cord situation on the TG and Duo was perfect ;)

The Duo has a wall wart.. only the TG16 and the TgCD have the preferable set up. At least that is what mine has... ;)

For the Duo controller situation, I bought an adaptor (as mentioned by Starscream) and attach a Turbo Tap to it. Then I giggle with delight!

Uh what was the topic again?

Oh yeah...

@joeybastard: I had a bunch of 32x's that I bought from Sega Canada for parts a looong time ago. Most of them worked fine after re-attaching a ribbon cable inside, so I sold them... I am sure I have a few of the extra spacers from the ones I couldn't revive in storage at my "in-laws" house. Next time I am there I will have a look and, if I find one I'll send it to you.

But yea the power cord situation on the TG and Duo was perfect ;)

The Duo has a wall wart.. only the TG16 and the TgCD have the preferable set up.

For the Duo controller situation, I bought an adaptor (as mentioned by Starscream) and attach a Turbo Tap to it. Then I giggle with delight!

Ah yes you are correct about the Duo. I shoulda put "....TG and CD unit...." but I don't always type what I am thinking :)