IGNORED

A good GBA game for a long trip

I also have to agree, Iridion II is a great game, and probably one of the best releases of the year so far on any system. I don't think it's ideal as a travel game, mainly because of the password system (presumably to keep costs down, since they went with lower initial pricing), but I guess if you have a pen and paper handy it's not a problem. Other than that, it's a one of the most fun and technically impressive games for the system. I strongly recommend it!

By the way, have you (or anyone else here) tried playing it for ranking? There's a high score board at the official Iridion II Web site, where you can enter codes from the game and see how you compare with other players. I'm up there as Agent X, of course. :)

I'm glad there's a fanbase for Iridion II. I was concerned that, due to the (rightfully) negative response to Iridion 3D, that this gem of a sequel would be overlooked. And perhaps it has, for the most part, but I think word of mouth will help it.

I haven't tried playing it for ranking yet. I'm not especially good at these types of games (scrolling arcade space shooters) but after enjoying Gates of Zendocon and Zarlor Mercenary on the Lynx I've become more interested in the genre. Do you know if Gradius Galaxies or Phalanx are any good? Or if there are any other good shooters in this style on the GBA?

I'm not sure how much of this is sour grapes because my friend (who was a total newbie at AW2, but good at wargames in general) can usually beat me, but it seems like those games go on FOREVER. You spend so much time just waiting for the other guy to finish moving, and I would guess that two almost evenly matched players could go at it for a long while before one finally captures the HQ or otherwise gains the overwhelming advantage.

I know I tend to suck at strategy games in general, but I've found the AW series to be a nice change. I still suck at it, but not as much as other strategy games. Plus, with AW2, I can actually see myself getting better at the game ('bout time...).

I've heard that multiplayer AW is much better than single player, but I've been happy playing solo -- I dunno if I would want to have to wait around for another player to decide on a move...

I'm glad there's a fanbase for Iridion II.  I was concerned that, due to the (rightfully) negative response to Iridion 3D, that this gem of a sequel would be overlooked.  And perhaps it has, for the most part, but I think word of mouth will help it.

I hope so. BTW, I enjoyed Iridion 3D, but I'm probably in the minority on that. I do think Iridion II is a much better game, though. People who like traditional space shooters but disliked the original game should consider give the second game a whirl, as it's a very different game to that. It has elements of Axelay, Raiden, Viewpoint, R-Type, and Ikaruga all combined into one game. :)

I haven't tried playing it for ranking yet.  I'm not especially good at these types of games (scrolling arcade space shooters) but after enjoying Gates of Zendocon and Zarlor Mercenary on the Lynx I've become more interested in the genre.  Do you know if Gradius Galaxies or Phalanx are any good?  Or if there are any other good shooters in this style on the GBA?

Gates of Zendocon and Zarlor Mercenary are still two of the finest scrolling shooters on a handheld, even after all these years.

I've heard both Gradius Galaxies and Phalanx are very good, but I haven't played either one.

I'm looking forward to R-Type III for GBA. Click here if you want to see some screens and information, or click here for a video clip.

Also, if you like classic arcade games, then try Atari Anniversary Advance, Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced, and Namco Museum.