IGNORED

Dead Tomb Reservations (Phoenix Exclusive)

retroillucid

2 hours ago, Sargon said:

Who do I need to contact about using my CollectorVision club coupon toward a pre-order?  I have sent emails and PM's with no response.  The coupon doesn't do much good if nobody replies to messages about using it. ?

I was also thinking about doing the same thing. Pm Toby on here and wait for a reply. Usually takes up to a couple of weeks for him to reply though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, retroillucid said:

The reservations for Dead Tomb are now up and ready!

Dead Tomb is an adventure game wich will only works on a Phoenix game console or a modded ColecoVision with F18A

We're trying something new here, we're doing reservations to gauge interests
We're asking for a $20 deposit (non-refundable)

The good news is the more people buying the game, the cheaper it will be!

Here's the price chart:

100 copies or less: $60
200 copies or more: $55
300 copies or more: $50
350 copies or more: $45

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/dead-tomb-exclusive-phoenix/

Maybe I am missing something but should it read 199 copies or less: $60?

• 2 weeks later...

So let me get this straight.. It's a physical, CIB game? & it's a 'special' Coleco style cartridge that only works on the Phoenix? Does that sound right?

I'm a bit confused as to exactly what this is, but that's what I gather so far, at least from what I've read. I placed my pre-order months ago and initially thought it was just a Rom at first, but I'll be happy to know it's a CIB release. :)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, wongojack said:

I noticed this is still open and on "backorder" with 170 copies sold.  Did shipping start in August?  If I place an order now when would I be alerted to pay the remaining amount and receive the game?

Yeah, we choose to let the pre-orders opened so we could try to hit 200 copies

If you are pre-ordering Dead Tomb, a email will be sent to you when the game is ready to ship so you can pay the remaining amount. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

Yeah, we choose to let the pre-orders opened so we could try to hit 200 copies

If you are pre-ordering Dead Tomb, a email will be sent to you when the game is ready to ship so you can pay the remaining amount. 

Welp, I did my part and placed a deposit.  Hope that the game ships soon-ish.

• 3 months later...
On 5/17/2020 at 6:35 PM, retroillucid said:

The reservations for Dead Tomb are now up and ready!

Dead Tomb is an adventure game wich will only works on a Phoenix game console or a modded ColecoVision with F18A

Is the highlighted part still true?  I just received mine and it doesn't work on my F18A modded ColecoVision.  It does of course work on my Phoenix ?

31 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

So these are shipping now?  Are we getting emails when they ship?  Been a while since I ordered it.

I got an email that my pre-order had been completed.  No specific notification of shipping and I think I got the game the day after I got the email.

44 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I got an email that my pre-order had been completed.  No specific notification of shipping and I think I got the game the day after I got the email.

Recently? Just trying to gauge the time frame, thanks.

I've been playing the game for a few hours now and disappointed to say that I have encountered a few significant bugs.

• I found my first parchment with a continue code.  When I restarted the game and used the code I had different items in my inventory to what I had when I found the parchment.  For example I now have a rope which wasn't there before and have lost the dagger.  When I "look" at it, the description says that it is tied firmly to the metal ring/handle despite the fact I'm now many rooms away from the trap door room.
  • Upon replaying the game from the start I got to the "continue" code parchment having ignored certain parts of the game, but now with a different inventory to my first playthrough.  However, I still get exactly the same continue code as on my first playthrough.  So, am I right in thinking that the continue codes in the game are all fixed and are not specific to the inventory items you've collected/rooms completed?  If this is the case then, in my opinion, this is a rather odd approach.
  • After using a continue code, and upon entering the Royal Crypt the sand at the partially open door immediately activated and swept me away even though I only just entered the room and did nothing else.  This isn't too big a deal due to the immediate continue after death feature but not very reassuring that the game misbehaves like this.

Just finished playing Dead Tomb and overall thoroughly enjoyed the game.  I am a big fan of point and click adventures so that helps.  Gameplay is just okay with easy to solve puzzles.  Kind of simplistic and not up to the standards of say Sierra or LucasArts, but it's totally unrealistic to expect that from a small team and from a game that is designed for a ColecoVision/Phoenix cartridge.  Also, to be fair, it's based on a 1980's online game so again it's not reasonable to expect it to have the length or complexity of a Sierra/LucasArts major release.

Anyway, Dead Tomb has superb graphics and I like the storyline.  There are a few red herrings, which is good, and they caused me to spend time investigating things that are unnecessary to complete the game.  My main issue with the game is that it is very buggy and in one case an important description should pop up but doesn't, delaying my solving that puzzle.  I am also frustrated that the game "continue" codes appear to be fixed and hardcoded and as such when you use them you'll start the game at a hardcoded location with fixed items in your inventory, and NOT with the items you had when you found the code.  This also means that rooms you may have completed may in fact revert back to their incomplete state which is very annoying.

Quite amazed at the hidden game.  It's good enough that it could have been a standalone release so with Dead Tomb you actually get two games in one.  I'll definitely have to play the hidden game a lot more.  One of those just-one-more-go type games.

Overall, I'm happy and will likely play it through one more time (perhaps recording it if I can).

• Like 2