IGNORED

520 ST...did I get screwed?

I was at Value Village today, and ended up finding an Atari 520 ST system. Not only was there a keyboard system, but also a BOXED SM 124 monitor and a BOXED SF 354 Disk Drive, as well as a spare SM 354 drive (with a different front configuration) and all the hookups. No mouse, no software. I paid $45 Cdn (about $30 US) for it. Did I get screwed? What is this stuff worth really? The boxes are in nice shape (though the monitor one has some writing on it).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi tjlazah,

About your reply to maxloards on you haveing some st equipment way back on july 22. I also got lucky on Aug. 8th. and was at a church rumage sale and bought a somewhat of a whole st system. The monitor, keyboard computer, printer, floppy drive, and mouse. Even the modem. All for 5 bucks.

Now the only problem is I need two power plugs. One for the computer which is a 7 pin. Mine is the 520st, and power plug for the floppy. Which is a 5pin. Floppy is the sf354.

The printer seems ok except I have no paper for it and the monitor may be ok. Will know when I get plugs. I'm a complete newbe at the atari so I'll be fumbling around on it, so I hope I've explained it all to you correctly. Many thanks and to anyone else, Jim

Hi tjlazah,

About your reply to maxloards on you haveing some st equipment way back on july 22. I also got lucky on Aug. 8th. and was at a church rumage sale and bought a somewhat of a whole st system. The monitor, keyboard computer, printer, floppy drive, and mouse. Even the modem. All for 5 bucks.  

Now the only problem is I need two power plugs. One for the computer which is a 7 pin. Mine is the 520st, and power plug for the floppy. Which is a 5pin. Floppy is the sf354.  

The printer seems ok except I have no paper for it and the monitor may be ok. Will know when I get plugs. I'm a complete newbe at the atari so I'll be fumbling around on it, so I hope I've explained it all to you correctly. Many thanks and to anyone else, Jim

Well I also got a 520ST and no P/S recently. Then I found one on ebay for $5! I also got one for my drive. Look on there, people sell them all the time. I now have a working 520ST system! I now have: 2 520ST's, 1 1040STf, 1 4160STe and Falcon030. A 130XE and XF551 also! I always likes the grey Atari XE/ST computers...

Just thought I'd tell you, in case some of you don't know, that the SF354 Diskdrive is the single sided model. This will prevent you from running the newer games unless you're lucky enough to find single sided versions of them. I know that, among others, Sierra released single sided versions of some of their games.

Cheers!

Troop

• 1 month later...

Well, our Atari STE was bought 1988 brand new. Would it astound you if I said that it still works? These are tough little machines. It sits in the bedroom of my youngest who plays games on it sometimes even though he has a Playstation. It will always be an "oldie but goodie" to us. :wink:

Trooper is right.... if you're going to be using that ST much you should be looking for an SF314 drive as its the double sided one. I believe the majority of commercial software programs came on SS disks and you'll find lots to do with a SS drive. But if you are going to be downloading software and transferring it to ST disks, especially games, I doubt if most (if any) of the programs will fit on SS disks.

Does anyone know why Atari numbered the SS drive 354 and the DS drive 314? When you consider that their computers & accessories went UP in number value as they got bigger & better (Atari 400 - 800; Atari 65XE - 130XE, Atari ST 520 - 1040, Atari XM301 - 1200SX) the disk drives went DOWN? Just seems backwards to me and they should have made the SS 314 and the DS 354.

Mendon