IGNORED

Weird jive with Super Circus and Crystal Quest

Cousin Vinnie

I just got another Atari 7800 yesterday... I broke mine being an angry Italian moron 3 years ago... but we are back kicking the Prosystem azz as of 05/26/2020 on the Mothership.

Sort of......................... there is some weirdness I dont understand.

Years ago, I bought Super Circus Atari b/c that's how I roll and it didn't boot up after the loading screen. I contacted Albert, sent it back and he replaced it. Same thing: the new one did not boot up. I was like "Wha---?" He asked me what I wanted to do and that some 7800's respond differently to some games. I decided to just keep it, b/c really.... that game wasn't my bag anyways.

So yesterday, with the new Atari, I fired up Super Circus Atari and it worked great! (Damn... thats a hard game). So that was cool. I was like- I finally got a system that will play everything. THEN... I popped in Crystal Quest. 

This is bizarre. Sometimes the sound works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it goes away... and then sometimes it grumbles. But that's not all... because the buttons sometimes work... and sometimes they don't work. I know this game works fine... it did on my old system. But what the hell could be going on now where the controls sometimes don't work and sometimes the sound is fugged. Any ideas? (I already blew in the cart)

Thanks,

Vinnie

9 minutes ago, Funkmaster__V said:

I just got another Atari 7800 yesterday... I broke mine being an angry Italian moron 3 years ago... but we are back kicking the Prosystem azz as of 05/26/2020 on the Mothership.

Sort of......................... there is some weirdness I dont understand.

Years ago, I bought Super Circus Atari b/c that's how I roll and it didn't boot up after the loading screen. I contacted Albert, sent it back and he replaced it. Same thing: the new one did not boot up. I was like "Wha---?" He asked me what I wanted to do and that some 7800's respond differently to some games. I decided to just keep it, b/c really.... that game wasn't my bag anyways.

So yesterday, with the new Atari, I fired up Super Circus Atari and it worked great! (Damn... thats a hard game). So that was cool. I was like- I finally got a system that will play everything. THEN... I popped in Crystal Quest. 

This is bizarre. Sometimes the sound works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it goes away... and then sometimes it grumbles. But that's not all... because the buttons sometimes work... and sometimes they don't work. I know this game works fine... it did on my old system. But what the hell could be going on now where the controls sometimes don't work and sometimes the sound is fugged. Any ideas? (I already blew in the cart)

Thanks,

Vinnie

Vinnie,

Is the new 7800 a modded console or all stock?

It is possible the audio filter caps might need to be replaced in regards to the audio issues. But the control issues could be a few different things although the TIA comes to mind first as I've had to replace a few and it seems to be more of an issue lately.

Can you video capture specifically what you are experiencing so we have a better idea?

59 minutes ago, Funkmaster__V said:

I'm glad Super Circus AtariAge works, but the issue you're having with sound and Bentley Bear is rather odd.  I've not run into anyone who's had this particular issue before.  And the fact that the cartridge works fine on another system suggests it's something with this new 7800. 

..Al

Might also check the difficulty switch settings you have set on the 7800. Bentely uses them for changing controller options so that you can use a 2-button setup or even a single button 2600 controller and push up to jump if I recall?

34 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Might also check the difficulty switch settings you have set on the 7800. Bentely uses them for changing controller options so that you can use a 2-button setup or even a single button 2600 controller and push up to jump if I recall?

Let me check.........

Okay- the controller thing I can't replicate--- but I guarantee it was that the difficulty switches were wonky when I first started playing.  Sorry about taking up your brain space with that. I havent played an old system in three years... it takes a minute getting used to that world. 

The sound still sucks. I can't get it to even make any noise now besides the low grumbles.

No apologies needed! Glad it wasn't something serious! But I know I've had the switches trip me up when popping in Bentley to play as well. The audio though...can you get a phone video of it or something so that the rest of us can get a ear in the mix to provide some assistance?