IGNORED

The Official Sega Saturn Thread!

10 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

Great news, Kingdom Grand Prix/Shipuu Mahou Daisakusen is now with a restored English script:

Here's a long play of the game:

I was sold as soon as I saw it was a shmup, but doubly so after seeing some of the bizzare and beautiful artwork. The rate at which Saturn (and other) fan translations are releasing makes me very optimistic about the future. Seems like nothing is considered too niche to get a translation anymore.

unnamed.png

unnamed (1).png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Great news, Kingdom Grand Prix/Shipuu Mahou Daisakusen is now with a restored English script:

I tried playing it a few years ago but I couldn't really figure out how the racing aspect of the gameplay actually works. Maybe if you fly higher to the top of the screen you go faster?

just thought I'd let you all, my adoring fans, know that I acquired a 3rd Sega Saturn. this one is Japanese and grey. purchased alongside other naughty bits. I am hoarding these things in hope that if I come across any broken ones I can reference them with my good ones. I also wanna keep these out of the hands of you bastards who want to ODE-ize everything. Shame on you!!! shame! shame!!?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, dudeguy said:

just thought I'd let you all, my adoring fans, know that I acquired a 3rd Sega Saturn. this one is Japanese and grey. purchased alongside other naughty bits. I am hoarding these things in hope that if I come across any broken ones I can reference them with my good ones. I also wanna keep these out of the hands of you bastards who want to ODE-ize everything. Shame on you!!! shame! shame!!?

I've got three myself :)  Japanese White with Satiator, a custom painted blue / blue grey one that is modded to play backups, and a nearly brand new US Model 2 with box, instructions, etc.  Not going to ODE any of them. Unless a disc drive fails..... :P

2 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

I've got three myself :)  Japanese White with Satiator, a custom painted blue / blue grey one that is modded to play backups, and a nearly brand new US Model 2 with box, instructions, etc.  Not going to ODE any of them. Unless a disc drive fails..... :P

I believe that's the main (only?) thing that is gonna really fail. It sucks that there isn't much interest in keeping discs spinning. by now we could have better laser reader replacements than what Sega and Sony gave us back in the day but instead they want us to pirate all the games and run them off an SD card. screw that! you hear me???? take those SD readers and throw em out the window!

• Haha 2

On 2/25/2024 at 3:34 AM, dudeguy said:

I believe that's the main (only?) thing that is gonna really fail. It sucks that there isn't much interest in keeping discs spinning. by now we could have better laser reader replacements than what Sega and Sony gave us back in the day but instead they want us to pirate all the games and run them off an SD card. screw that! you hear me???? take those SD readers and throw em out the window!

No.

:P

Seriously though, with disc rot, and laser drives getting less popular, the SD thing (got a GD Emu in one of my Dreamcasts) helps preserve the games.  Give them at least that much credit.

Especially with the ridiculous and outright unfair Saturn prices nowadays, they're letting people get ahold of a Saturn & games that never would've or could've before.

Doesn't have to be for you but...at least give it a tip o' the hat to the good it does for some.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

No.

:P

Seriously though, with disc rot, and laser drives getting less popular, the SD thing (got a GD Emu in one of my Dreamcasts) helps preserve the games.  Give them at least that much credit.

Especially with the ridiculous and outright unfair Saturn prices nowadays, they're letting people get ahold of a Saturn & games that never would've or could've before.

Doesn't have to be for you but...at least give it a tip o' the hat to the good it does for some.

name one Saturn disc that experienced disc rot.

Edited by dudeguy

If I ever got a Saturn again, I'd go ODE.  There's no damned way I'm going to pay some scalping piece of garbage 3 figures for any half decent games.  Sega or the publisher isn't seeing squat, not going to pay some grifting loser a small mountain of cash to buy a stack of fragile cds, cases, etc to line someone elses pocket and all the non-benefits of slow loads, etc.  ODE is totally the way to go outside of being a purchasing purist.  I'm over paying scummy people scummy prices because they see games as investment property for their retirement and Saturn has long been, Sega optical specifically, super price toxic for a very long time.

5 hours ago, dudeguy said:

name one Saturn disc that experienced disc rot.

I can name three. I have already experienced bitrot on a few games in the past. 

Do you think the original discs that are now over two decades old are going to last forever? If you believe that you are living in a fantasy world. They will all rot as time goes by. 

But, you don't have to believe me. Keep buying those pricey discs and don't say I didn't warn you when one day they refuse to read.

I am not saying collecting disc based media (games) is not fun. It's nice to have the original game, original artwork, original manuals. But, don't believe for a minute that these last longer than cartridge based media. Both will fail eventually, but discs are much more prone. In my experience they fail (or start experiencing errors) at the 20 some-odd year mark. Some last much longer, some do not. Like I said I have had three rot and they spent their lives in their cases in a climate controlled environment.

That said, unless the disc is free or close to it I won't buy it. I'd much rather use an ODE and maintain digital backups of the discs. Those don't rot ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If I ever got a Saturn again, I'd go ODE.  There's no damned way I'm going to pay some scalping piece of garbage 3 figures for any half decent games.  Sega or the publisher isn't seeing squat, not going to pay some grifting loser a small mountain of cash to buy a stack of fragile cds, cases, etc to line someone elses pocket and all the non-benefits of slow loads, etc.  ODE is totally the way to go outside of being a purchasing purist.  I'm over paying scummy people scummy prices because they see games as investment property for their retirement and Saturn has long been, Sega optical specifically, super price toxic for a very long time.

and theres literally dozens of ways to emulate a Sega Saturn without paying tons of money for authentic discs. alternatively, there's ways to burn discs and play them that way.

6 hours ago, eightbit said:

I can name three. I have already experienced bitrot on a few games in the past. 

Do you think the original discs that are now over two decades old are going to last forever? If you believe that you are living in a fantasy world. They will all rot as time goes by. 

But, you don't have to believe me. Keep buying those pricey discs and don't say I didn't warn you when one day they refuse to read.

I am not saying collecting disc based media (games) is not fun. It's nice to have the original game, original artwork, original manuals. But, don't believe for a minute that these last longer than cartridge based media. Both will fail eventually, but discs are much more prone. In my experience they fail (or start experiencing errors) at the 20 some-odd year mark. Some last much longer, some do not. Like I said I have had three rot and they spent their lives in their cases in a climate controlled environment.

That said, unless the disc is free or close to it I won't buy it. I'd much rather use an ODE and maintain digital backups of the discs. Those don't rot ;)

yeah, you do you. it just sucks to see zero interest/energy spent on replacing disc drives. this goes for PCs and other hardware as well. manufacturers aren't making them anymore so you're just robbing parts from others until those die out too.

1 hour ago, dudeguy said:

and theres literally dozens of ways to emulate a Sega Saturn without paying tons of money for authentic discs. alternatively, there's ways to burn discs and play them that way.

Yeah so, still doesn't change the fact ODE is a smart choice to take if you want to use the original hardware without the costs or burning slow discs too.  I never said junk the drive, it can be saved, if that's what has you all triggered.  What eightbit said is right no matter what excuse you can come up with to try and distract.  And since when are disc drives not being made?  Most computers don't come with them stock anymore, some have spaces to add them though, others are USB.  This new PC I have, I got a USB blu ray/dvd-cd writer combo drive so I can continue to watch movies, copy CDs to MP3 for my phone/car, and to use my up up to 25+ year old CD games I have a few of still.  Your argument has no validity.

Also google it, CDs are now having a comeback too just like vinyl has for at least 5 years now.  The sales are increasing to where retail is starting to carry a number of them again in walk in spaces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudeguy said:

yeah, you do you. it just sucks to see zero interest/energy spent on replacing disc drives. this goes for PCs and other hardware as well. manufacturers aren't making them anymore so you're just robbing parts from others until those die out too.

It isn't that there isn't any interest is replacing them, the issue is that quality laser assemblies aren't really available anymore. Sure there are some you can get from AliExpress and ebay, but those aren't of the same quality as the originals. It isn't unheard of to have to buy 3 or 4 laser assemblies to get 1 that ends up working for you. That is a cost expense that I can't justify when trying to provide my services. 

Also important to remember that manufactures back then NEVER expected us to still be playing these consoles so far into the future. They build the consoles at a price (Often at a loss to get them into the hands of owners more easily), and as such, these consoles weren't expected to be serviced so far after their expected lifespan. As such, the components and how things were constructed back then weren't really made to be serviced beyond assembly replacements. 

For me, I have a spare model 2 Saturn with a Phantom chip in it (Used to have one of the older racketboy boards), so I can play my actual games and backups. My main Saturn has a RHEA ODE in it and it is my preferred Saturn to play since I can leave my games alone in their cases and still play them as if I was using them. I have a third model 2 in the box that still stock that at last check (Well over a decade ago...) was working. But I don't plan to use it much if ever because I know it would be on borrowed time the older it gets.

13 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Also google it, CDs are now having a comeback too just like vinyl has for at least 5 years now.  The sales are increasing to where retail is starting to carry a number of them again in walk in spaces.

Where are you seeing that information? Seems that Vinyl outsold all other mediums for physical music media past few years. Most retailers where I live aren't stocking much less selling CDs anymore. I actually prefer CDs for my music since I do still have an optical drive in my PC, and use my Blu-ray player in the living room to play CDs from. But even cars today aren't coming with CD players in them. Not sure it is even an option? I know it took forever for my mother to find a nice used car that actually had a CD player in it.

• Like 1

Yeah for the general consumer a car cd player doesn't make sense today when popping in a cheap (and tiny) thumb drive full of MP3s into one of the USB ports is the norm. 

But yeah even though I have a non-modded Saturn I almost never use it.  Why bother popping in discs when the one with the MODE has every single game on it, with zero hassle. Just turn it on and there it is.  There is no difference on screen and when playing, which is where it counts 😛

• Like 2

Well I googled 'music cd sales increase'

I got multiple hits:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a45263811/the-cd-revival-is-real/

It's not a big increase but it finally stopped falling in 2021 and has started by a small percent to increase again:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/14/22976557/cd-sales-increase-2021-recording-industry-association-of-america

https://www.grammy.com/news/the-cd-turns-40-can-cd-sales-make-a-comeback