IGNORED

Surf's Up Discussion

Tempest

On a whim I decided to take a look at Surf's Up for the 2600 yesterday.  I reviewed this proto when I first started my site back in 2002, but the common consensus back then was that it wasn't really playable and incomplete.   A demo of a game and that's all.  However after poking around in the game a bit I've discovered that there's a ton more to it.  Not only are there obstacles and enemies to avoid, but there appears to be a timer of some sort and even an ending (sorta).  The problem is that the game is kind of confusing to figure out, and I really need someone to help look through the code to see how the game works.  Or if anyone wants to help me do it the old fashioned way (trial and error), I'd welcome that too.  Here's my updated review with my new findings. 

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/surfsup/surfsup.htm

I *think* the right difficulty switch does something too (maybe with how you move), but I can't be sure.  I'd also like to figure out how that 'timer' works and if it's possible to replenish it.  There's a video online of someone scoring really high (which is how I know about the volcano at the end), but the version they're playing doesn't seem to have the red lines.  Could there be another proto out there?  I'll attach the two known copies of the game.  One's a very late beta and the other is probably the final version.

Surfs Up.bin Surfs Up (Beta).bin

• Like 1

Matt, I’ve always only had one version of this game in my eprom pile, I’ll compare these to my copy to see which version I have, and I’d be happy to also play it this weekend to see if I can find anything you might have missed in your updated review and report back here.

1 hour ago, Supergun said:

Matt, I’ve always only had one version of this game in my eprom pile, I’ll compare these to my copy to see which version I have, and I’d be happy to also play it this weekend to see if I can find anything you might have missed in your updated review and report back here.

Thanks.  If you can figure out that timer or if the right switch does anything I'd appreciate it.

I only had about 20 minutes with it this morning, but I should be able to play more later tonight. Here is what I’ve found so far.

The different “cities” or courses available to choose from are definitely different. Some are harder then others. So far, I have found Waimea to be the easiest, and I can almost always reach the beach on it. The controls are faster and sharper on Waimea then say Santa Cruz where they are much slower and sluggish. Malibu feels somewhere in the middle.

(maybe pro surfers can attest to this; that different beaches can be easier or harder to surf then others)

When you reach the beach, they reward you by playing a nice 2600 version of The Beach Boys Surfin’ USA. In one game, I did so several times, scored over 10,000 points, and the score flashed in the typical 2600 color cycle psychedelic style.

The timer is interesting, the small horizontal line continuously lowers, and when it reaches the ground, it becomes a solid monolith like door which flashes and stays present for a brief time window, and then disappears. Surely, this is what determines if you’ve reached the beach on time or perhaps the right time or even the right place?

I’ve had games where the time ran out (per say) and things kind of froze (my surfboard turned white rather then yellow) and the game was over. I’ve had others where it stayed yellow.

My theory, is that in order to get the volcano blast ending, you likely have to finish all the courses? But I haven’t been able to figure out how to change to another course after you complete one of them.

Haven’t messed around much with the A and B difficulty switches or the B/W color switch, but I can try later.

Edited by Supergun

Oh, I didn’t know we had artwork available for the game.

I’m able to reach the beach multiple times now without incident, and I‘ve scored over 13,000 points now. I think so long as you make it within a reasonable amount of time, and that you don’t wipe out, you can continue to surf over & over.

The technique he’s using in the video of very rapid straight up and down movements is what I had figured out myself and definitely the key to saving time and getting there faster, although not as enjoyable when playing. Adding in the extra elements of sea creatures, sea shells, wooden pylons and such does make the game harder, but less boring and also introduces the opportunity to score lots of bonus points. (done so by “hovering” in between them when they pass the first red line)

Regarding the volcano eruption, I couldn’t get it to happen, but I think I figured out how it’s done. It seems to be a reward given when you reach 300,000 points. Because you’ll note that the minute he passes that mark, he proceeds to wipe out and kill himself per say to end the game.

• 1 month later...

If I may?

CPUWIZ is a longtime member here who is very well respected and appreciated. He has contributed endlessly and tirelessly to the community. And his wife is artistically gifted and has done much of the artwork for the cool carts he assembles.

Most of the time, he builds and dresses up the carts for his personal collection, but often times he might make a few at a time and sell the extras to the community. And sometimes those carts end up changing hands later down the road and end up on eBay. Or worse, copies of them that utilize his artwork.

• Like 1

Oh I appreciate that. I thought it was a copy of the principal intended label art. I was just interested to put it with my prototype. But I would never put it on the cart. Just a cool thing to show with the cart. The only known protos come either nothing in it or a white sticker. Mine is just a cart that with no label it came in an eBay sale many years ago with the board and a few other games. I didn’t believe the listing when it said Surf up. But I took a shot and won! Lol. 

Thank you for your help!

• 1 month later...