IGNORED

Compute magazine disk image depository

Allan

Why don't you post what you have and perhaps someone will try to debug it?  Also, did you check the CAPUTE! column for the next several months (where errors/corrections are posted)?

Last year I started typing in more Atari Compute programs. I did November, 1985 and I had one more left from December, 1985. I was then going to move on to October, 1985.  Thanks, @DFELD2005 this will help me out.

There is a correction mentioned in the February 1986 issue.  I'm not sure what it is saying that it corrects, but here it is. 

810 DATA 200,177,203,201,22,240,10,201,155,240

Edit: Looks like the Atari Magazines listing already has the fix.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your comment. I found that correction in the print version of the Feb 1986 issue.

ORIGINAL:

810 DATA 200,177,203,201,22,240,22,201,155,240

CORRECTED:

810 DATA 200,177,203,201,22,240,10,201,155,240

I used the "10" value in one of my trials (the original value was "22".

I was excited and optimistic this simple correction would fix the problem I was having.

So far. no luck for me. I am thinking that if The Google and ChatGPT cannot find any public downloads,

then maybe my search has hit a dead end for now.

On 7/5/2024 at 10:26 AM, DFELD2005 said:

Somehow, I became obsessed with testing the program "Lightning Renumber" that appeared in the October 1985 Issue of Compute (issue 65, page 103).

Lightning Renumber for Atari (atarimagazines.com)

Compute! Magazine Issue 065 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The two print versions of this program have line breaks that divide each Basic statement into 2 or 3 lines of text.

I have made at least 3 valiant attempts to copy-paste the text lines into my Altirra Basic window from the above 2 sources.

After my 3 start-over attempts to resolve the character errors and line break errors, I was able to create an apparent correct Basic program.

Unfortunately, my RENUMBER.OBJ file or my attempts to execute the in-program memory poke routine always fail with an error code 136 (end-of file).

(Or Error 6 at line 1460)

I am thinking the two sources of text listings are missing one or more data elements?

I am unable to locate a digital file source for the Lightning Renumber program AND/OR the RENUMBER.OBJ file.

Does anyone have a saved copy of the Compute October 1985 disk version or the binary file version of this program to share?

THANK YOU !!!

PS. After my struggles with Lightning Renumber, I learned that TurboBasic XL has a built-in renumber command. YAY !!!

That program can be found on the OHAUG105A.atr disk (as well as 187A, 415B), at https://archive.org/details/ohaug-library

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Larry said:

@Atari_Ace Nice find!  How did you search/find the multiple locations?  Maybe there is a method to search inside the ATR's (en masse).  That might help us to find other Compute! and other programs.

I use a binary grep utility I wrote a while ago to examine all the ATRs for patterns.  In this case I extracted a short string from the program listing which I expected to be unique to the program and searched for atrs that contained the string (I have thousands from various user groups).  I then examined the matches till I found the program.

The binary grep tool can be found in my AtariAge blog, in which I tried to document ways of finding and fixing old Atari programs.  Simplified versions of most of my tools are in the blog actually.

• Like 2

WOW !!!

Atari-Ace you are amazing !!!

Thank You !!!

I tried OHAUG Disk 105A and the RENUMBER.OBJ binary load file works as described (in the original Compute! article, issue 065)

AND, this renumber utility can be used without resorting to TurboBasic 1.5.  YAY !!!

PS. Looks like one of my many OCR errors was changing line 450 to 458 (??) and maybe more......

I am definitely not a fan of using OCR text pasted into a Basic window and simply hoping for the best.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:41 AM, Allan said:

Just a bump in case anyone has come across any more Compute magazine disks.

@Allan,

You are welcome to look through the two ZIPs I just created from what I have in my Atari archives here. One is filenamed with 8-character/3-extension format, the other is more descriptive in their filenames. Maybe there's something in there someone can use?

Timothy,

An Atari Owner (and Archivist)

100 - Compute Disks.zip COMPUTE Magazine Disks.ZIP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I used the Proof Reader to double-check the program listings and it found some mistakes.  I'm attaching corrected files.

I could use some help with Double Brickout line 170.  The checksum doesn't match, but I continue to get the same incorrect checksum.

corrections.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2