IGNORED

What console is this multicart for?

That's likely to be a famicom clone using the same style, but it's too short from anything I've seen.  Anything at all on the back?

I want to say this is a famiclone style device some enterprising types tried to control their own games on their own device like those FC-Joy carts that only work on those tv games devices that has it dock into the back of the N64 wannabe style controller it uses.

Paging fcgamer !

Edited by Tanooki

It reminds me a lot of this cart for my "Mini TV-Game", a kind of Sport Vii/Zone console using an ASIC with an integrated 6 MHz 6502 from what I can tell, with references to WOW Wireless Gaming, NJ Pocket and Nanjing Technology. This cartridge does not work in a regular Famicom or Famiclone, and likewise a cart for those does not work in this device. My unit has some 10-20 built in sports games in "16-bit resolution" - some I have identified the origin of and some actually being Java applets somehow ported to this hardware. The cartridge contains action games in "8-bit resolution", as usual pretty bad playability but that is what you can expect from noname Chinese manufacturers who try to go semi-legal and not straight off pirate Nintendo.

tv-game-15-in-1.thumb.jpg.dab29dd58230322986680190a6dfae06.jpg

tv-game-console.thumb.jpg.5224a018b50149ca409c34b882a05cc3.jpg

• Like 3

It's definitively one of those Famiclone or at least Chinese console cart.

Unfortuately they are used over a wide variety of machines. Some Famiclones even include enhanced video modes that make those carts incompatible with real Famicom; or as Carlsson said, some of those carts are used on 16 bits machines. There isn't much risks trying it into a NEs or a Famicom.. but no guarantee it will do anything.

• Like 1

I suppose the risks lie in whether you have pins for voltage and ground on "random" locations, which would mean inserting an unknown cart into the wrong console might short something. But as I indicated, I already tried both ways around without success, but also without permanently damaging something.

What I wonder is if @boxpressed's cartridge would work in a machine like mine, or if it just happens to be yet another variant using the same type shell and number of pins. I may have seen some of those cartridges at local retro game resellers or expos but never paid much attention to them.

I also own a Famiclone with built-in keyboard, made in China for the Arabic market. It comes with a multicart full of both pirated games and some educational applications. What strikes me is how many are adapted for Arabic and the programs using the built-in keyboard do not work on a real Famicom with Family BASIC keyboard. Likewise the Family BASIC cartridge does not work on this Arabic keyboard Famiclone, which suggests there are several ways to interface a keyboard to NOAC/Famiclone hardware, and for some reason those who made this clone didn't integrate the keyboard in the same way that Nintendo once did.

All gamepad controlled games though tend to be compatible between the last two mentioned machines (keyboard clone and real Famicom).

• Like 1

Your machine reminds me of the Subor machines sold in Russia with the same purpose. Thogh they also have 16 bits/Megdrive clones for that use.

I suppose that the makers of those machines didn't bothered copying the BASIC way to interface the keyboard because it was easier to do otherwise or simply because they didn't had access to a Famicom BASIC keyboard and Basic cart. They might even have been ignoring it even existed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

(Late to the party but...)

Like everyone else says I'd bet Famicom or specific Famiclone ...Or an NES type game made to look like a Famiclone game!   Check the size of the end (you insert) to see if it's NES or Famicom by comparing it to other carts...

It's funny I have one of those machine specific carts...It won't play in an NES or any NES clone that I own (Retro Duo for instance), but supposedly works in a Yobo Factor 5, which is itself an NES clone as far as I know.

20200626_165611.thumb.jpg.39d079c6a31def1abb819fc6bf60acb8.jpg

Edited by GoldLeader
Edited as I remembered the Factor 5 was an NES clone not a Famiclone...

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

(Late to the party but...)

Like everyone else says I'd bet Famicom or specific Famiclone ...Or an NES type game made to look like a Famiclone game!   Check the size of the end (you insert) to see if it's NES or Famicom by comparing it to other carts...

It's funny I have one of those machine specific carts...It won't play in an NES or any NES clone that I own (Retro Duo for instance), but supposedly works in a Yobo Factor 5, which is itself an NES clone as far as I know.

20200626_165611.thumb.jpg.39d079c6a31def1abb819fc6bf60acb8.jpg

The way that the cart in the OP has the bevels on the front is telling me it's a Famicom cart and not NES... unless they put the cart slot on whatever clone system it's for on backwards. Also the cart in the OP seems to have less than 72 pins. 

• Like 1

Some 16/32 bits machines from China use the same cartridge format.

It's definitively based on the Famicom cart but nothing proves that its Famicom software.

Much like how most/all FAmiclones use DB9-Atari-like connectors for hte joysticks, but those ports aren't Atari-compatible.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1