IGNORED

Does Doki Doki Panic exist in material form anywhere?

Jasoco

Does Doki Doki Panic actually exist? Or did Nintendo snatch it up before it was finished? And if so, is there a ROM or even a cartridge out there with it on it? Or at the very least, screenshots of the original game before it got Mario-ized. And I mean whole screenshots of entire levels and such.

Or were the levels kept basically the same?

Yeah, there's a .fds disk image of it floating around, I've played it a few times. Works with RockNES on the Mac and I think you also need an bios image of the disk system, I'll look for it tomorrow and let you know if I find it.

Yeah, there's a .fds disk image of it floating around, I've played it a few times.  Works with RockNES on the Mac and I think you also need an bios image of the disk system, I'll look for it tomorrow and let you know if I find it.
Thanks.

Also, now I realize what that message that kept popping up when I launched RockNES was. I didn't know what the FDS BIOS was. Now I know.

I'd like to try the game.

Anyone know if the music was changed at all? Was it exactly the same?

I was really excited to finally play this game too, but I was actually rather disappointed with it. Aside from the intro and ending sequences, SMB2 is actually noticable improved. Animation is better, and you don't get weird faces as blocks and such. It's an interesting piece of history, but SMB2 is overall much better.

--Zero

Thanks!

Awesome! It works great!

It took me a while to figure out how to turn the disk over. I finally found the eject/inject and swap sides keys and now I'm happy.

It's weird though. How does this work? You can pick any world and any character in any order! And there's a save feature!

Odd.. I miss the running and getting small, but it's still cool to play the original. I had to explain what the game was to my brother who didn't seem to get it at first.

"What do you mean that's Super Mario 2? Why did this become Mario 2?"

"Because in Japan the SMB2 was too hard for the US."

"Then where did the Japan Mario 2 go?"

"The Lost Levels, silly."

"Oh."

Here's a page with a nice graphical comparison between Doki Doki and SMB2-U.S.A

http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/smb2_ddp.shtml

Basically the same stuff I saw at that Pop Rocks link. Except not as much.

It's good Nintendo gave the game that special touch and added so much more before releasing it to us.

aah I didn't even check out that popsrock link! coool :)

By the way, the Dreamcast NES emulator plays a mean game of Doki Doki as well as other FDS games. If you're into DC emu's it's worthwhile checking out at least to play it on the tv with a gamepad (if your pc doesn't have a tv-out). Good stuff :)

Cool, you found it before I got a chance to look for it on my work computer ;)

RockNES is a pretty solid emulator for the Mac, I enjoyed playing Doki just because SMB2 was my favorite NES Mario game and you have to go back to your roots sometimes 8)

The only problem I hate with RockNES for OS X is that it has to dither the screen color depth. There's no reason to do that! Unless it's for speed, but I really hate it. It allows me to have the emulator run windowed, but in return makes everything else look crappy.

[Punches RockNES' author in the face]

Heh! What people do to play old games... wait a minute.. nevermind. ;)

http://wso.williams.edu:8000/~pmulliga/

That's a good link. NES and FDS games. Even a working version of Skate or Die 2 which was always a dud for me. Complete with the artifically digitized voices. Wouldn't be the same without them.

Got instructions? ;)

Actually, does it use the port on the bottom? Actually, my NES is in need of that eject mechanism fix badly. Doesn't even work with the Game Genie anymore.

http://www.nesplayer.com/technical/FDS.htm

I sure do. ;)

WOW Wee!!! I have a spare NES now all I need is an FDS... But Thats gonna take a while but the fix is great!! Thanks!