IGNORED

Okimate screen print?

leech

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I thought all the printer commands were in the Okimate 10 manual?   They used to document crazy stuff like that BITD :)

http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/Okimate_10_Printer_Handbook_Okidata.pdf

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-okimate-10-atari-software_33598.html

All thanks to @Allan

On the note of paper, according to the manual;

Picking the Proper Paper

When used like a typerwriter to print letters and reports, OKIMATE prints well on just about any type of paper, with the exception of certain envelopes and paper with rag content, like typewriter bond paper with cotton fiber and erasable bond.  When printing artwork,  graphs, and charts, smooth paper works best.  We recommend that you experiment with different types of paper and see which one suits your fancy.

Also available is thermal paper for black printing only.  Thermal paper is heat-sensitive paper that imprints characters on a page without using a ribbon.

You can print on acetate sheets up to .005" Scotch/3M 544 Transparency Notepad works well, as do other very thin transparencies.

You can also print on mailing labels by adjusting the left and right margins to the narrow width of the labels.  Keep in mind, though, that when you return to printing on standard paper you must reposition the rollers by hand - sliding them to the right so that they are evenly spaced between the paper guides.

Edited by leech
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, leech said:

Cool!   I remember writing some basic programs to print some advanced things,  so if I didn't get the commands from the manual, I don't know where I would have gotten them from.

10 minutes ago, zzip said:

Cool!   I remember writing some basic programs to print some advanced things,  so if I didn't get the commands from the manual, I don't know where I would have gotten them from.

This is why I like messing with old computers.  The manuals are actually useful!  Pages 22-37 have all the BASIC stuff for printing things out. 

Not sure how this is useful for something like the FujiNet to emulate it.  I mean I guess you could set it to be an okimate compatible printer emulation for programs to feed out PDFs, but if there are so few programs that actually supported it...

5 minutes ago, leech said:

This is why I like messing with old computers.  The manuals are actually useful!  Pages 22-37 have all the BASIC stuff for printing things out. 

Not sure how this is useful for something like the FujiNet to emulate it.  I mean I guess you could set it to be an okimate compatible printer emulation for programs to feed out PDFs, but if there are so few programs that actually supported it...

It uses escape code sequences in a similar fashion to what Epson printers were doing.  I would think it wouldn't be too hard to create emulation for it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

The escape codes are VERY different from Epson.

It is not that different,  just different codes.   It's not like one printer uses PCL and the other uses Postscript.   It shouldn't be hard to modify a program that understands Epson codes to use Okidata codes.  The biggest caveat is the Epson command set is more extensive and may not have an Okimate equivalent

Select 1/6 line spacing

Epson:    ESC + 2

Okimate:  ESC + 6

Bold printing

Epson:       ESC + E

Okimate:   ESC + ASCII(14)

Print Bitmap graphics:

Epson:     ESC + .

Okimate:  ESC + %