IGNORED

Question about the various Pac Homebrews for Bob

John Stamos Mullet

If it hasn't already been said enough - PacManPlus' 7800 homebrews are incredible!

Recently I've gotten heavily back into the Pac-Man arcade platform, since I've been spending most of my retrogaming time playing and tweaking my Arcade1up cabs. I've now modded my Pac-Man cab to be a RPi-driven "Pac-Museum." It has all the various iterations of Pac-Man from the arcade.

So the one discussion that always seems to come up with this, especially in Arcade emulation circles is the debate of dedicated 4-way vs. 8-way stick. My Pac-Man cab has a dedicated 4-way, and I've only put games that require a 4-way stick on it. I've been toying with the idea of also putting the various console versions of Pac-Man on it, and it occurred to me - none of the consoles have dedicated 4 way sticks.

So my questions are:

Does Pac-Man Collection, or Jr. Pac-Man, etc. for the 7800 derive any benefit from using a 4-way stick?

Are they coded to compensate for using an 8-way stick with predictive movements (like later versoins of MAME) or are we all hampering ourselves using 8-way 7800 controllers on a game that is coded for 4-way play?

We don't need to get into the 4-way vs. 8-way debate here, I'd rather not have this topic devolve into a flame war. I'm ambivalent on the subject as I am able to play just as well with either.