IGNORED

PEB floppy disk formatting problem

gferluga

On a standard PEB with TI disk controller and single full size floppy disk drive I have problems formatting floppy disks.

I have a bunch of DS/DD floppies that I can format with no issues on Apple IIe and IIc or a Olivetti M28 (IBM compatible).

I get randomly error 32 or error 41.

The Disk Manager (1 or 2 or 3 or 4) recognize that the disk is not formatted, is asking for name, sectors and depending on DM version, if it's SD or DD and SS or DS.

However I can read and write on existing original TI floppy disks on the same PEB hardware.

Please advise. Thx.

On a standard PEB with TI disk controller and single full size floppy disk drive I have problems formatting floppy disks.
I have a bunch of DS/DD floppies that I can format with no issues on Apple IIe and IIc or a Olivetti M28 (IBM compatible).
I get randomly error 32 or error 41.
The Disk Manager (1 or 2 or 3 or 4) recognize that the disk is not formatted, is asking for name, sectors and depending on DM version, if it's SD or DD and SS or DS.
However I can read and write on existing original TI floppy disks on the same PEB hardware.
Please advise. Thx.

Number one you can only format those discs to the maximum of that controller which is DSSD 40 tracks also your drive has to be DS to format DS so you should probably try is SSSD first and see how it goes.

Additionally if a disk is formatted on another pc it may not erase properly if a drive is old like they all are. I tend to put discs through a bulk tape eraser session if they've been used by another computer first to be sure. Caps get old and need to be replaced.. I've had a lot of people with full height original TI drives complained that they can't format some discs and can format others and it turned out to be the drive.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1