IGNORED

A new Kai Magazine and Elektronite game: Star Mercenary -A Space Opera-

15 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

I used my intellivoice, but I had no speech. I slipped the cartridge out and put in B-17 Bomber and it worked just fine. Put Star Mercenary back in but no joy. Any suggestions?

Please try to push th cartridge inside the intellivoice all the way in, it might be a bit harder than expected since those cartridge shells are not 100% standard.

Also, make sure the intellivoice volume is at maximum, just in case.

4 hours ago, Kai_Magazine said:

Please try to push th cartridge inside the intellivoice all the way in, it might be a bit harder than expected since those cartridge shells are not 100% standard.

Also, make sure the intellivoice volume is at maximum, just in case.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've double checked all that, but the problem is no voice being produced by the Star Mercenary Cart while connected to my Intellivoice. My other voice carts work just fine. Gameplay appears fine connected to the intellivoice--just no voice.

Edited by Aragorn7
clarification

10 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've double checked all that, but the problem is no voice being produced by the Star Mercenary Cart while connected to my Intellivoice. My other voice carts work just fine. Gameplay appears fine connected to the intellivoice--just no voice.

I honestly don't have any idea why the game voices are not working with your intellivoice while they work correctly to anyone else.

The cartridge and the ROM is exactly the same as everyone else's.

I would suggest, if possible to try the game with someone else's intellivision and intellivoice and see if it works correctly so we can know where the issue is. 

I don't have a spare, but I'll try to order another one. However, if the SM game is designed to work with the specs of the IntelliVoice and all my other voice carts work on my two intellivisions, it does not appear that the problem would be with my intellivoice. Nonetheless, I will go to the expense of trying to purchase another one. I could end up thoroughly surprised.😮

18 minutes ago, Aragorn7 said:

I don't have a spare, but I'll try to order another one. However, if the SM game is designed to work with the specs of the IntelliVoice and all my other voice carts work on my two intellivisions, it does not appear that the problem would be with my intellivoice. Nonetheless, I will go to the expense of trying to purchase another one. I could end up thoroughly surprised.😮

This reminds me of issues several of us had with GORF and Intellivoice. I only have one Intellivoice, and with one of my Intellivisions it worked and with the other one it crashed a lot. Hopefully you get lucky with a different Intellivision!

24 minutes ago, Aragorn7 said:

Before you spend any money on Intellivoices or Intellivisions, can't you send the cartridge to someone who owns an intellivoice so he can check with his hardware?

9 minutes ago, Eisengrim said:

This reminds me of issues several of us had with GORF and Intellivoice. I only have one Intellivoice, and with one of my Intellivisions it worked and with the other one it crashed a lot. Hopefully you get lucky with a different Intellivision!

I appreciate your reply. Please note I mentioned I have already tried my only Intellivoice on two different Intellivisions.

5 minutes ago, Kai_Magazine said:

Before you spend any money on Intellivoices or Intellivisions, can't you send the cartridge to someone who owns an intellivoice so he can check with his hardware?

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else near or far to send it to. I just purchased another Intellivoice online; so time will tell.

21 hours ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

Also, try a different Intellivision. My original Intellivoice had issues with my original Intellivision. 

I originally misread your post and thought you were telling me to try a different Intellivoice. I did, however, try it on a second intellivision but with the same results; so I have ordered another intellivoice to try out. Thanks again for your input--much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

I originally misread your post and thought you were telling me to try a different Intellivoice. I did, however, try it on a second intellivision but with the same results; so I have ordered another intellivoice to try out. Thanks again for your input--much appreciated.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the Intellivoice just doesn't like the new cartridge somehow, and that a new Intellivoice unit will fix your problem. The cartridge MAY have had a bad burn or be defective (I didn't make the cart) but I doubt it. 

On 10/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, Games For Your Intellivision said:

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the Intellivoice just doesn't like the new cartridge somehow, and that a new Intellivoice unit will fix your problem. The cartridge MAY have had a bad burn or be defective (I didn't make the cart) but I doubt it. 

Well I got the replacement IntelliVoice and I have to say I am not only surprised; I'm shocked. It actually works and Star Mercenary now plays voice. I took my original apart and found no expanded capacitors and no burnt circuitry, but I did give it a good cleaning. While it will play every other voice cart I have, it would not work with SM. My one guess is that somewhere along the line Mattel may have changed something in their design specs. My serial number is 6933, but on the newer replacement it has a serial number of 520999. That's quite far removed from mine in production terms. At any rate, I wish to thank everyone for their suggestions and I'm positively thrilled that SM is fully working.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sinjinhawke said:

My right thumb muscle is sore from playing so much.  

I'm an old guy with arthritic hands. My hands were killing me and I was forced to stop. Now I'll have to wait a couple of days before I can continue.😃 Old age is not for the faint of heart.😬

I ordered a couple of horizontal long play controllers for my Intellivision that will hopefully allow me to play this fantastic game for longer periods. 

Edited by Aragorn7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I finished the game today on easy.  Loved it.  Well done sir.  This was like TNT Cowboy for me though more challenging.  My right thumb muscle is sore from playing so much.  

I have several Intellivoice modules.  I’ll have to try them all to see if any of mine have an issue.  

I am super happy that you enjoyed it ^_^

I am not 100% sure but I belive there is an autofire upgrade you can buy early on the game, and you can enable-disable it by pressing a key or something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kai_Magazine said:

I am not 100% sure but I belive there is an autofire upgrade you can buy early on the game, and you can enable-disable it by pressing a key or something.

Yes, that was the first feature I employed, I just need to hit save and walk away faster. Afterall, as Harry might say, "A man's got to know his limitations."😃

6 hours ago, Kai_Magazine said:

Correct!

Buy the auto fire 🔥 upgrade and push button 3 to enable it.👍

Great game!!!😃

Edited by wolfy62
Added content

Well, the old man is happy to say that after many saves, I finally finished the game. Well done Elektronite and Kai Magazine. Among the classic Intellivision space games, I personally liked The Dreadnaught Factor the best. I loved the sound of the large cannon fire and the fact that it could be defeated even while moving ever closer to earth. That said, Star Mercenary is my new favorite of this genre. Wow, what fun! I'm so glad to own a copy of this game. As word gets out, I'm sure you'll need to produce more copies.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 7:59 AM, Aragorn7 said:

If you pay the shipping, ill send you one for free Aragorn. I have a dozen. PM me