IGNORED

Atari 7800 Controller Interferance?

livingonwheels

Can anyone explain why this Atari 7800 has a clear picture (as far as RF is concerned) but as soon as I plug in an Atari 7800 controller (or even a standard Atari 2600 controller), interference occurs. See the below pictures for before and after. I noticed that the closer the controller is to the console, the worse the interference.

Edit: I just opened the console and noticed there is no shielding at all. Could that be the issue? I thought I've had other 7800s with no shielding, but perhaps I'm not remembering correctly. Where would I start in order to see if that's the issue?

DSC00857.JPG

DSC00856.JPG

Edited by livingonwheels

Does your controller happen to be a vacuum cleaner? I can't say I've ever heard of something like that happening.

From where you've said it gets worse as you move the controller to the console it makes it sound like the controller itself is emitting the interference for some reason. If it was just acting as an antenna then I wouldn't think it would matter how close it was to the console.

It's possible one or more of the chips or other components is dying and that the extra power draw from the controller is the issue. If the same thing happens with another controller it might point towards that.

Can you confirm what sort of controller it is, and if possible can you try the following:

Try the controller in both ports

Try a different controller in both ports

Try the controller plugged into a different machine (maybe not a 7800 specifically but something compatible) and see if it affects the 7800 when held up to it.

I took the shielding out of my composite modded 7800 and put it into the 7800 with the controller interference. All the controller interference went away! No shielding doesn't seem to affect my composite modded console, so I guess I'll leave things as they are. It seems having no shielding will affect RF output for some reason (my composite modded 7800 has no RF anyway).