IGNORED

Turgen System 8.8.x Adventures

baktra

There is indeed never enough testing.

There is the newest SFX package for testing. All SFXs created using the most recent builds of TURGEN and SFX skeletons.

Explanation of the suffixes:

t2k - Czechoslovak Turbo 2000

t2kb - Czechoslovak Turbo 2000 - Kilobyte blocks. Normal Turbo 2000 or Universal Turbo loader is enough to load the recorded data

lst2000 - Lower Silesian Turbo 2000 (Poland). Use the Auto Turbo loader to load the recorded data.

ht - Hard Turbo (Poland). Use the Hard Turbo loader to load the recorded data.

Consider the following:

• The loading address of the SFXs is $0B80. Use AVGCART, UNOCART, SIDE, MyPicoDOS, or any loader that supports such MEMLO to load the SFXs
  • The data recorder and cassettes should be in a good shape.
  • The data recorder must have a compatible turbo upgrade. If in doubt, check the compatibility matrix.
  • The composite SFXs require a setup where the device you load the SFX from and the data recorder are connected simultaneously
  • The data recorder should not have a modification that makes it disrespect the MOTOR CTRL signal

The testing status is as follows:

For w1k, almost nothing works

For me, everything is recorded and read back from tape just fine.

sfx3.zip

For daring souls, latest TURGEN builds:

Windows Installer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M6XW_VhSJRlvnJ4BQQQFgXb5evymkr2e/view?usp=drive_link 
Compressed tarball: macOS/Linux/Windows: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12zbrv0Kr-D5HgOeUm-tRkZLy3ip6tV2e/view?usp=drive_link

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1

On 1. 2. 2024 at 16:35, baktra said:

Pojďme získat více síly.

Přiložený balíček obsahuje dva samorozbalovací archivy, které budou nahrávat hry ve formátu Czechoslovak Super Turbo s přenosovou rychlostí 2725 bps.

Vyzkoušejte pouze tehdy, když víte, že Turbo 2000 SFX už pro vás funguje.

image.png.845df322ff6f336588f5d0b1ea2af8ae.png

super_turbo_sfx.zip 32,3 kB · 11 stažení

I tested writing and loading the files from this and the previous post on 3 XC12 datasets but unfortunately they failed to load. Tested with atari 130XE with U1MB and SIDE2 and 800XE with SIDE2 only. I tried disabling extended memory, Spartados and PBI BIOS on the 130XE. All unchanged. :( I tried loading with Uni turbo+ and T2000

• Like 1

Tomorrow when I get back to Prague I'll try out the new sfx3 and possibly make some myself with the new Turgen version. In truth I was surprised that it didn't work, as I had no problem before when copying tapes using Ramtur.

• Like 1

new tests:

i make try sfx, czech txt games

first was ok

second i have boot error at end

third txt game - skipped head on load.. strange.. same tape

(i dont remember what game i convert to monolitic format)

edit 19:05

Indiana Jones a Chrám Zkázy is monolitic version and this works good

image.thumb.png.d1d0f6f77b947f1deff69b779100325f.png

Edited by w1k

It is time I admit the SFX do not work as expected.

Though none failed with my setup (I tested rather thoroughly before going public as I know emulation cannot be 100% trusted when it comes to tapes), I have reports that they do not work from everywhere else.

It is unfortunate, but I have to face the reality. Either figure out what's wrong or abort the mission. Failures to read even the turbo header are damning.

some TXT games good very good. i wouldn't give it up, it's a very good software. just figure out why some programs don't work. i already have half of the cassette with SFX stuff :) (only some little programs was copy via COPY.TSD)

IMG_7548.jpg

I can confirm that only one datarecorder XC12 works reliably for me. I was able to write and load 000_H.E.R.O. (1984)(Activision)(US)[a]_t2k.xex and composite_t2K.xex (both games). I have created 2 sfx files myself and they are working too. For 000_Swapz (2008-01)(Fandal)(CZ)(en)_t2kb.xex I was only able to load two blocks after writing. After that the loading crashed.

18 hours ago, ruzapavel said:

I can confirm that only one datarecorder XC12 works reliably for me. I was able to write and load 000_H.E.R.O. (1984)(Activision)(US)[a]_t2k.xex and composite_t2K.xex (both games). I have created 2 sfx files myself and they are working too. For 000_Swapz (2008-01)(Fandal)(CZ)(en)_t2kb.xex I was only able to load two blocks after writing. After that the loading crashed.

What exactly happened with Swapz? Did you get a screen with pink border? 

I might have discovered something wrong about the SFXs.

The termination signal of each block generated by SFX is different from the termination signal created by e.g. VisiCopy III or Universal Turbo Copy.

image.thumb.png.abd94fb835a1528856d9d17c81e604ef.png

The last byte of the header block is  $B1 = 1011 0001. The last pulse holding data is a wide pulse, highlighted by green dots.

The subsequent pulse highlighted by the red brackets in the signal visualization is not part of the data. It is there to be merely a terminator of the previous pulse.

The presence of the terminator is crucial. If the terminator is not present, then the loader will detect a timeout when looking for a zero-crossing, report an error or skip the header block.

As you can see, the terminator pulse generated by SFX is extremely narrow, compared to the terminator pulse generated by VisiCopy III.

Theoretically, the duration of the terminator pulse shouldn't matter (because there is a zero crossing).

Practically, given the frequency range of a typical data recorder, the pulse is likely to be not registered at all, especially with old equipment.

This is how it looks after applying a low-pass filter with a threshold of 8 kHz (simulating capabilities of a low-cost cassette recorder). There is no zero crossing at all.

image.png.415faaf98ec4fb6d838b07a3c13ad114.png

This is obviously wrong and can explain the somehow random nature of the SFX failures. I will, of course, solve this obvious problem.

I, however, cannot claim this will fix all problems with SFXes.

• Like 1

So, this is what one would call a proper termination pulse:

image.thumb.png.efc8ba5dc2b5963cc09920772bb2bfd4.png

I am attaching a new package of SFXes that have the termination pulse fixed.

All Czechoslovak Turbo 2000.

Start with the monolithic one, then go to the blockloading and then kilobyte blocks. Try the Expressloading as the last one.

sfx4.zip

1 hour ago, ruzapavel said:

I replaced the drive belt in the second datarecorder as well and I am pleased to report that I was able to write and read and run all 4 files. Thanks for a great job.

Almost too good to be true. Thanks a lot for testing.

I have good news. After fixing the trailing pulse, the SFXs work really well. So the main SFXs problem seems to be solved.

1. I also updated the SFX skeleton for Super Turbo and derived systems, everything is fine.
  2. I updated the documentation, added some recommendations.
  3. A 5-second gap is always written between files, for easier orientation on the cassette.
  4. I made some changes that are not visible. SFX skeletons have data that TURGEN ZAPs near its starting address. This made ZAPs easier and more stable, I don't have to change the code in TURGEN every time I change the SFX skeleton.

So, in the near future I will release TURGEN 9.2.10 with all fixes.

What was not included in version 9.2.10.

1. Automatic splitting of composite SFX by maximum side length - it's more complicated.
  2. Support for baud rates higher than 3633 bd. Creating pulse length tables is a pain in the ass, so I'll leave that for next time.

And two more tips at the end, just to be sure, they are also in the documentation for the program. Two steps before you start recording to tape. It will save you a lot of time.

1. Take advantage of Altirra being able to read Turbo. First, make your project items into .WAV or .CAS files and test with the emulator. Time can be accelerated in the emulator. If something doesn't work in the emulator, it won't work with the actual cartridge either.
  2. Take advantage of the fact that the modified atari800 emulator from the project http://www.arus.net.pl/FUJI/a8cas-util/ can completely emulate a turbo tape recorder, including writing to a cassette. The emulator may not be as comfortable, but it will allow you to test the SFX well. In the tape recorder emulation settings, choose the Czech system. Turbo 2000 B. The emulator can speed up the time by pressing F12. This will of course check if SFX works and if what it writes can also be read back.
  • Like 3

Some raw plans on what will be next:

1. I might try Turbo D one last time. No firm promises, though. It is a longshot.

2. Simplify Turbo 2000 and Super Turbo plugin UI. For some conversions, it is unnecessarily complex.

3. Fix the NanoBTAPE binary loader. There are some criminal coding practices involved, making the loader XL/XE only. Direct jumps to unofficial vectors in the OS ROM.

4. Adjustable gaps between files written by SFX.

5. Refine messages displayed after clicking the Check Loader buttons. From nerdy to user friendly.

• Like 2

More goodies, before I can fully focus on Turbo D attempt.

1. The MiniTBL and NanoTBL loaders for Turbo 2000 - Kilobyte Blocks need the same fixes as NanoBTAPE. Illegal OS jumps are no longer welcome.

2. Some useless configuration entries for the Turbo 2000, Super Turbo and B-TAPE plugins will be removed. Life will be easier without them, fewer opportunities to shoot yourself in the foot.

3. Loaders loading formats based on Super Turbo will get more modest color scheme of the loading bars. The B-TAPE will have a calming green background, The SuperChain 2 and SuperBlock will use blue background, like its Turbo 2000 counterparts.

4. A new menu item for randomizing the order of the project items will be introduced. It was originally requested and implemented for the Create Tape Sides Tool, now it can be used directly.

All these 4 items are almost done, so I will be able to begin the uncertain Turbo D mission, take 2, soon.

• Like 3