IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

17 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I think you missed Jon’s post from this past Friday a page or two back:

Thanks Herb. And I'm further behind schedule than expected, owing to miserable unforeseen issues with hardware projects. I also wasn't joking when I said I'm still waiting for my production SIDE3, so I'm still reliant on the uncased board in the 600XL with two CF cards propping the cartridge doors open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

I think you missed Jon’s post from this past Friday a page or two back:

Yes, I did miss that, will download and flash

1 hour ago, candle said:

without upgrading U1MB bios, it will start loader for SIDE2, not SIDE3..

Makes sense, I can see some things only if I disable SDX AND PBI , then it works same as unmodified XE

Thanks both for the info

Update: Looks like the new Update has not been published yet, latest on web site is still V3.1

Edited by TGB1718
Update

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Hey, FedEx got its act together and now my delivery is scheduled for today by 8:00pm. Awesome. :) I guess I need to dig up FJC’s U1MB build and get my 1200XL updated. 

I take it the build also works in the Incognito?  Probably where my SIDE3 will end up.

19 minutes ago, candle said:

Atari 800/400 will require replacing RAS signal with PHI2 signal on their cartridge port to use this cartridge

That seems like the sort of thing that should be disclosed on the product page so that people can make an informed decision prior to purchase.

Just now, Stephen said:

The CF card in the Incognito gives you everything the SIDE# + U1MB does.  Why would you want to use a cart in that machine?

Oh yeah, what the hell was I thinking of?  Forgetting shit in my old age.  ?  I actually wanted it for one of my 1200xls, but need a U1MB in there.

I am going to blame it on the PC4, trying to get that thing to behave has been a pain in the butt.

6 minutes ago, StickJock said:

That seems like the sort of thing that should be disclosed on the product page so that people can make an informed decision prior to purchase.

this is general truth regarding all modern cartridges that do more than enabling a single bank of rom/flash/ram and i belive it's common knowledge

i'm sure one could find numerous references addressing that "issue"

besides, you won't close the trapdoor with side3/side2 or any other cartridge of that form factor - this is also common knowledge

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

OK: with luck I should be back on track and able to work on the U1MB firmware update this evening now that the Atari desk doesn't have bits of 800XE all over it. :)

Did you murder an 800XE and just dispose of the evidence?   (Wonder how much plastic wrap FJC uses for his murder room).

• Like 1

My only real complaint is the same as with the previous SIDE2 - the shell is about a millimeter (*) too wide to fit into the 1200XL cartridge tunnel. I get that 1200XL's are rarer than hen's teeth in Europe, but it's still annoying. Fortunately, I long ago filed the sides of the tunnel of my Ugly Duckling 1200XL to fit the SIDE2, so the width of the SIDE3 isn't a show-stopper. 

*Estimate - I didn't break out the calipers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

My only real complaint is the same as with the previous SIDE2 - the shell is about a millimeter (*) too wide to fit into the 1200XL cartridge tunnel. I get that 1200XL's are rarer than hen's teeth in Europe, but it's still annoying. Fortunately, I long ago filed the sides of the tunnel of my Ugly Duckling 1200XL to fit the SIDE2, so the width of the SIDE3 isn't a show-stopper. 

*Estimate - I didn't break out the calipers!

heh, i was assured this was adressed...

On 9/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Primarily cartridge emulation, all handled from the loader you're used to using (the SIDE loader). In your case - with U1MB present - you can mount cartridges (ROM and CAR files stored in the FAT on the SD card), ATR disk images, and APT HDD partitions and use them all at the same time. It's currently the only solution which integrates cartridge emulation with the existing U1MB/SIDE 'ecosystem'.

Other than that, the SIDE3 Loader does away with the 'paging' of large FAT directories with more than 250 files; it will load up to 1,000 filenames per directory into RAM all in one go. Likewise, you can have up to 1,000 results from a recursive search. There's also 2MB of cartridge SRAM and DMA, which I'm sure can be exploited for lots of novel purposes other than cartridge image loading.

I have further plans for the loader going forward, including auto-mount cartridges and built-in media playback facilities.

Thanks for the thorough explanation and sorry for the late thanks, Jonathan!

• Like 1