IGNORED

Sealed games

Atari_Bill

Is it my imagination or have sealed games suddenly skyrocketed in price?  I don’t search out sealed stuff so it really doesn’t impact me, but it seems like maybe over the last 2-3 months sealed commons (pac man, yars, missile command...) are suddenly selling for hundreds.  It seems to coincide with a huge upswing in the amount of graded crap being listed out there as well. Are we looking at a new influx of money coming in and buying sealed no matter the cost so they can grade them and list them for thousands more?

3 hours ago, atari181 said:

It's not your imagination. 2600 games, in general, have gone up quite a bit.  Sealed games have gone up crazy amounts. Some games 5-10X what they sold for last year.  I would agree, the influx of graded games is driving the market.  

If I still had any of those commons and uncommons that are now going for thousands on HA, I would sell them ASAP cause this can't last. A sealed Spiderman or the like for thousands? Yep, give me your money, dumbass. :lol:

• Like 3

Still difficult to tell if this market increase (if you think 2600 is bad, look at the NES scene) is because rich people are idiotic enough to think there is richer people than them willing to buy it, or whether rich people are genuinely buying them to leave sealed on a shelf to do nothing.

Either way, its bad for gamers. I don't keep anything sealed, but hindsight is always wonderful to have.

4 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Still difficult to tell if this market increase (if you think 2600 is bad, look at the NES scene) is because rich people are idiotic enough to think there is richer people than them willing to buy it, or whether rich people are genuinely buying them to leave sealed on a shelf to do nothing.

Either way, its bad for gamers. I don't keep anything sealed, but hindsight is always wonderful to have.

No thanks. Never had a fondness for the NES and glad I’m not actively collecting for it. 

12 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

The prices in the 8 and 16 bit Nintendo world have been and will stay higher. It's a newer thing that some of those people buying into the graded games are also grabbing some 2600 stuff as well. I don't see the 2600 prices lasting. Those folks who are overspending right now either don't care cause they have a shitload of money or will be very sorry later on if they thought of these purchases as an "investment".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, orangest said:

I found that unopened 1987 Pac-Man a long time ago and always thought it was cool because of the design variation. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted to see what it ended up selling for. 

And that one came from a sealed case of them that was opened to be graded. See where the problem is here?