IGNORED

The most intelligent character (in a VCS game)

doron

I'd personally go fot the dudes in Double Dragon.

While they're definately not the most academic, they do know how to kick ass, and they're very fast thinkers at that.

Also they seem to dress pretty cool, and all by themeselves. And one of them can even manipulate heavy machinery (the one that's beat you up with a stick).

But most important - they seem to be smarter than the arcade's folks, and for a good reason - they are only two, so they they have to use wits, and obviously they are much tougher too.

The SOB computer opponent in Atari basketball. He knows when to kick ass. If you are down 4 or more points, he's a breeze. But if you are only 2 behind, he's a little tougher - tied...hes real tough. God forbid you get ahead by 2-4 points, there's no way to stop him from scoring, and he's DAMN impossible to score on.

Either that or I suck at the game.... :roll:

The SOB computer opponent in Atari basketball.  He knows when to kick ass.  If you are down 4 or more points,  he's a breeze.  But if you are only 2 behind,  he's a little tougher -  tied...hes real tough.  God forbid you get ahead by 2-4 points,  there's no way to stop him from scoring,  and he's DAMN impossible to score on.

Either that or I suck at the game.... :roll:

You suck....

On a serious note, the AI is tough, like you said. But I got good enough to be able to consistently beat the computer.

I say we make a list and post a poll... My vote goes for the bat in Adventure. He has caused me more trouble..

I have to say the dudes from Double dragon will surely kick the Bat's ass, but then again, this may be a different subject.

I don't play sports videogames, but Spyhunter is spot on, these spike-heeled car guys are fast and mean.

Now the dude from Hero wouldn't move by himself, would he?! He has no will, how smart can that be?

And I just remembered that as a kid the robots in Berzerk were pretty bright - they could spot you, and relate to you, but alas, weren't very good in navigation.

As I am finding out, the bad guys in Burgertime are pretty darn annoying once they gain intelligence and speed! They pretty much come right for you and tackle you.

The Wizard in Sword of Saros is somewhat good at finding you (of course he has a bat to help him!)

The AI in No Escape is well designed so that different monsters seek you out using different methods.

Yeah my vote goes to the cobra ships in Solaris. They move fast as all hell and know just when to shoot you at that angle that you can't move outta the way fast enough to avoid the shot!

However, I will also concur and state that the enemy tanks in Robot Tank are excellent at firing off a shot at you as soon as they appear.

Yeah my vote goes to the cobra ships in Solaris. They move fast as all hell and know just when to shoot you at that angle that you can't move outta the way fast enough to avoid the shot!  

I second that. Personally I think the Spider in Haunted House is way too smart for its own good (I mean it is only a spider after all).

Tempest

As a side-discussion, I toyed around with a more intelligent "Pyro the stormcloud" in my 5200 homebrew Koffi.  

IMO, the smarter he became, the less fun the game was.  

Sometimes enemies are better if they are stronger or fast, but dumb. :)

It can be true, I suppose, but I feel some sort of AI gives the game a longer lasting appeal.

My all time classics all have some sort of a smart enemy or the other - Defender to Galxions and Joust in middle. I don't wanna shoot no sitting ducks. That was always my problem with Space Invaders.

Come to think about it, the Invaders are absolutely cannon fodders. Their government sent them out to die.

That's why I don't play it - it's not a game, it's a fucking reality!

I'm sure they arranged a their share of demonstrations at their homeworld back in 1977.

Man, this is so sad - the Galaxians at least had a fighting chance, but the Invaders - they really blew it big time.

I'd personally go fot the dudes in Double Dragon.

While they're definately not the most academic, they do know how to kick ass, and they're very fast thinkers at that.

Also they seem to dress pretty cool, and all by themeselves. And one of them can even manipulate heavy machinery (the one that's beat you up with a stick).

But most important - they seem to be smarter than the arcade's folks, and for a good reason - they are only two, so they they have to use wits, and obviously they are much tougher too.

What about the creatures that the weird spider-looking guy spits out at you in Subterranea. Those little guys are nasty.

agreed, very nasty, fast, and smart. i love the rhythm they make the player get into. thats one thing that i think is interesting, certain 2600 games require the player to get into a certain rhythm to survive, space master x7 does too, and so do many others. (even the generally reviled firefly, which I actually like for just this reason,)