IGNORED

Burning SNES carts?

Partly out of curiosity, and partly out of an idea for an afternoon project, I'm wondering how feasible it is to burn SNES ROM images onto an EPROM and make a custom cartridge. I'd love to play Seiken Densetsu 3 on a real SNES, but since there's no official translation available, the only way to play it in English is with a patched ROM on an emulator.

My guess is, I'd have to find a SNES cartridge with a game with the same ROM and SRAM size so I get the right mapper chips, de-solder the old game's ROM chip, and solder in an EPROM with the translated Seiken Densetsu 3 binary. But I have this nagging feeling that's just too obvious to actually work.

I know a little about SNES cartridge copiers, but that's probably not an option, since IIRC they're kinda expensive. Plus, that takes all the fun out of it. :grin:

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask about this kind of thing, but anybody who could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.