Open Club  ·  61 members

DASM
IGNORED

New DASM Manual

Andrew Davie

7 minutes ago, Pat Brady said:

Is this an ongoing project?

IFCONST and IFNCONST always evaluate immediately. That is unusual compared to other directives which may not evaluate until a later pass. The behavior makes complete sense when you think it through, but I suggest mentioning it in the manual.

I appear to be the only one interested/capable of updating the manual. I'm happy to make updates, but I want/need to minimise the work involved. If others have specific text they want to insert/change, then I will be happy to do it. I just don't want to have to figure out changes/issues myself and spend lots of time on it.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:03 AM, Andrew Davie said:

I appear to be the only one interested/capable of updating the manual. I'm happy to make updates, but I want/need to minimise the work involved. If others have specific text they want to insert/change, then I will be happy to do it. I just don't want to have to figure out changes/issues myself and spend lots of time on it.

Here's a patch file that adds that explanation to ifconst, adds a definition for ifnconst, and fixes several typos.

It might be a good idea for a dasm expert to confirm my changes about ifconst. I just described what I have observed.

I tried to generate a pdf, but the makefile has no rule to do so, and doing it manually produced an error:

! LaTeX Error: File `quotchap.sty' not found.

manual.tex.patch

5 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

Here's a patch file that adds that explanation to ifconst, adds a definition for ifnconst, and fixes several typos.

It might be a good idea for a dasm expert to confirm my changes about ifconst. I just described what I have observed.

I tried to generate a pdf, but the makefile has no rule to do so, and doing it manually produced an error:

! LaTeX Error: File `quotchap.sty' not found.

manual.tex.patch 15.46 kB · 1 download

Thank you for the update.

I think I've managed to do the update in git successfully.

• Like 1

The 'quotchap.sty'...This file is part of the QUOTCHAP package, a package a package for creating decorative chapter headings with quotations, a postscript output device is needed. So, I believe that you would need to install the package on your system to allow a full build of the dasm manual.

On 11/22/2021 at 5:03 PM, Andrew Davie said:

I think the situation would improve if there would be well documented instructions how to build the manual. Then one could test his changes., which, at least for me, is improving motivation. 

31 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I think the situation would improve if there would be well documented instructions how to build the manual. Then one could test his changes., which, at least for me, is improving motivation. 

I just use a free Latex IDE called "TexStudio". I load "dasm.tex" and press the "play" icon. And it builds.

There may be/are a few dependencies needed in your Latex environment - QUOTCHAP begin one I know about.

I installed TexStudio, but it won't work without a Latex distribution (e.g. MikTeX or TeX Live). Which one should I use?

You decided to use Latex, and many people (like me) might have never used Latex before. So if you want support, you should provide the necessary information how to get it running. A brief summary which answers the relevant questions should work.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I installed TexStudio, but it won't work without a Latex distribution (e.g. MikTeX or TeX Live). Which one should I use?

You decided to use Latex, and many people (like me) might have never used Latex before. So if you want support, you should provide the necessary information how to get it running. A brief summary which answers the relevant questions should work.

I use TeX Live (through MacTex installation on MacOS).

See https://tug.org/texlive/

AFAIK it shouldn't really matter which distribution you decide to use.

There's lots of online documentation.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Sure. But if you want support, it always helps to lower the effort as much as possible.

Update: I installed texlive, but TexStudio still complaints and I have no clue how to fix that. At this point I won't invest any more time, unless I get a working instruction. Sorry, but my resources are limited.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

9 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I use TeX Live (through MacTex installation on MacOS).

See https://tug.org/texlive/

AFAIK it shouldn't really matter which distribution you decide to use.

I had texlive but it did not include quotchap.sty. I added (using macports) texlive-latex-extra and texlive-fonts-extra and can now build the pdf file with:

texi2pdf -o dasm.pdf dasm.tex

• Like 1