IGNORED

Just got my TIPI/32K

Keneg

I got my TIPI/32K today.  Some things seem to be working.  Other examples don’t.  Call TIPI works and I was able to get onto my network.  CALL FILES just resets the TI.  Used the web interface to install Stuart’s web browser, but can’t load it.  Tried call tipi(“browser.internet”).  Am I doing this wrong?  I know some of this would work better with extended BASIC, but I don’t have that yet.  Saving up for a FinalGROM99.  So what can I do with just console BASIC.  I find myti99.com frustrating.  I can get to CHATTING, etc..but don’t have an account.  Can’t create one with Windows PC.  Need to use Stuart’s Web browser.  Can’t really tell if ftp is working.  I need to do more reading, but that is frustrating when examples don’t work.  Also, is there any way to tell if the memory expansion is working with console BASIC.  This program seems to indicate that I only have the built in 16k, but I don’t know if the 32k expansion is seem by console BASIC.

10 a=a + 8

20 gosub 10

when it errors out a is only 14xxx .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

not sure where you got call files from that is just the command that allows you to set how many open files can be open at once

Also the browser is ea3 now that I think about it you need to have the EA5 program version to be loaded with call tipi

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

OK, how would I get an ea5 version.  It is looking more and more like I need extended BASIC to get very far with this.  Is there a way to save and load console BASIC programs with just the TIPI/32k?

SAVE TIPI.FILENAME to save

OLD TIPI.FILENAME to load

Obviously replace FILENAME with your filename of choice

You likely need a disk manager

DM2K is on ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K

you can load this with call tipi("PI.http://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K")

once it is loaded you can type in TIPI.

and get a catalog of the drive

Yup you should also probably read the basic manual which has the save and old commands in it and also the disk controller manual which has all the disk access documentation those are all on whtech

As you figured out Stewart's browser requires editor assembler to load normally but with the EA5 program file you can use call tipi to load without a cartridge

You should get a FinalGrom99 so you don't have to worry about carts I know you are saving up for one... Good plan

Don't try to run.. Walk first grin

Greg

22 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Yup you should also probably read the basic manual which has the save and old commands in it and also the disk controller manual which has all the disk access documentation those are all on whtech

As you figured out Stewart's browser requires editor assembler to load normally but with the EA5 program file you can use call tipi to load without a cartridge

You should get a FinalGrom99 so you don't have to worry about carts I know you are saving up for one... Good plan

Don't try to run.. Walk first grin

Greg

So I got a little excited when it arrived today.  LOL.  I am trying to get some manuals and books.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Thanks.  I can now save on load my BASIC programs.  Your telling me that capitalizing was important has helped me a lot.  I loaded DM2K, but need to work at learning to use it.  Still haven’t figured out how to load Stuart’s browser even after downloading the ea5 version.  Will go to whtech today and read a lot.  I have successfully written a program to test joysticks.  One of the 3 I have actually works...when I remember to shut off alpha lock.  LOL

Thanks again, arcadeshopper, for you patience in getting me started.  I will probably order a FinalGROM99 from you soon.  Just got to figure the TIPI out first.  Already learning too many things at once with being new to the TI.  My old brain can’t absorb things as fast as it used to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

The filename for the EA5 browser is WEB so call TIPI ("TIPI.BROWSER.WEB") should load it if you put the contents of that zip in the browser folder in TIPI

That didn’t work, but I need to check that everything is named right.  I did look at web and the type is shown as program the same as the BASIC programs I wrote.  Is that correct?

yep program images are for many different "programs"  basic, assembly, load files for some games.. all are "program" type.. 

why don't you post a picture of the web interface showing the TIPI.BROWSER folder  like this is mine, the first file is the zip I made so its not a "TI files file" note the red ?...

image.thumb.png.6d47f32558839683e3c2d3e8f3b27fa4.png

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

yep program images are for many different "programs"  basic, assembly, load files for some games.. all are "program" type.. 

why don't you post a picture of the web interface showing the TIPI.BROWSER folder  like this is mine, the first file is the zip I made so its not a "TI files file" note the red ?...

image.thumb.png.6d47f32558839683e3c2d3e8f3b27fa4.png

I deleted and recreated the browser directory and then uploaded the files to it.  It now works fine.  I think I didn't have the directory in all caps.  I am slowly learning to capitalize things.  Now how do I exit the browser.  LOL

18 minutes ago, Keneg said:

I deleted and recreated the browser directory and then uploaded the files to it.  It now works fine.  I think I didn't have the directory in all caps.  I am slowly learning to capitalize things.  Now how do I exit the browser.  LOL

yeah keep alpha lock on except when using joysticks..

The TIPI is case sensitive, and that means if you make it TIPI.bob.test it has to be addressed that way

you exit the browser by turning off the computer or hitting a reset button which you will get when you get a finalgrom99 :)

Greg 

8 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

yeah keep alpha lock on except when using joysticks..

The TIPI is case sensitive, and that means if you make it TIPI.bob.test it has to be addressed that way

you exit the browser by turning off the computer or hitting a reset button which you will get when you get a finalgrom99 :)

Greg 

slamming a cartridge into the machine works too.  ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Keneg said:

Also, is there any way to tell if the memory expansion is working with console BASIC.  This program seems to indicate that I only have the built in 16k, but I don’t know if the 32k expansion is seem by console BASIC.

10 a=a + 8

20 gosub 10

when it errors out a is only 14xxx .

If "CALL TIPI" works, then the console sees the 32K.  It absolutely will not run without it.  The way check the RAM is either with an extended basic cart and run "SIZE", or Matt's ram test cart, but sounds like may not have access to either.  Keep in mind, with the 32K expansion, Extended BASIC still only has access to ~13K of stack space, (but adds ~24K of program space) so I'm not sure the test you ran would show the full 32K even with XB.

21 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Thanks.  I can now save on load my BASIC programs.  Your telling me that capitalizing was important has helped me a lot.  I loaded DM2K, but need to work at learning to use it.  Still haven’t figured out how to load Stuart’s browser even after downloading the ea5 version.  Will go to whtech today and read a lot.  I have successfully written a program to test joysticks.  One of the 3 I have actually works...when I remember to shut off alpha lock.  LOL

Thanks again, arcadeshopper, for you patience in getting me started.  I will probably order a FinalGROM99 from you soon.  Just got to figure the TIPI out first.  Already learning too many things at once with being new to the TI.  My old brain can’t absorb things as fast as it used to.

• Like 1

I was in a near panic today.  Took the TIPI/32k out of the speech synthesizer case because I want to see the LEDS, hook up a mouse without using a right angle adapter, and I find it difficult to access the micro SD card.  Tested after removal, still working fine.  Removed SD card and imaged it so I have a backup.  Put it back in and it wouldn’t boot.  LED on TIPI blinks once but no activity on RPI!  After a lot of troubleshooting, it turned out that the jumper that pulls 5 volts from the TIPI must not have been making contact.  Figured out that by powering the PI using the official RPI power supply.  Glad I happen to have one.  Shut down the PI and swapped the power cable end to end and now it is working again.  Whew!  It is taking about a minute per GB to image or restore the 32GB SD card I just happened to have.  That seems way bigger than needed.  I am thinking to get an 8 GB SD.  Does that seem to be about right?  Hard to imagine storing more that a couple a gigs on it.  Also, does it matter what class it is?  I plan on buying Sandisk, when I was playing with RPIs a couple of years ago I found that some other brands didn’t work very well.  Slow and kept getting corrupted even though I shut down properly.  I think that might be an issue with a small SD.  Not sure they support the higher speeds.

Edited by Keneg

1 hour ago, Keneg said:

I am thinking to get an 8 GB SD.  Does that seem to be about right?  

Honestly, the smallest SD card that the base image fits on should be fine.  I don't even expand my SD card if I don't need to.  Makes backing it up a bit easier.  Considering how small the disk files are for a TI-99/4A, I think you could fit every disk file you could ever need on  fairly modest sized SD card, maybe even the entire world history of disk files for that mater.  If I remember right the max disk size (SS/SD) is about 90K, so that give you ~10,000 disks per gig.  Are there 10,000 TI-99 disk images even available? 

Plane old SanDisk SD Ultra SD cards work fine for me.  I use 32GB  because the tend to be at the sweet-spot of low cost per GB and the 16 and 8GB cards are not much less. 

By the way, did you figure out why the RPi power jumper failed?