IGNORED

Where Are They Now?..."Ohhhh R.O.B.!"

He was there at the launch of one of the most successful home video game systems in history. An integral part of of the NES at the beginning, he was at the top of Mario's rolodex, hung out with Donkey Kong, and was spinning discs at get-togethers all over the country.

He sold himself as a smooth operator, but let the fame and bright lights go to his head. Nintendo executives soon discovered just how hard to control he really was. After just two games, it was clear that things were not going to stack up for our red-eyed buddy.

Nearly 20 years later, we found him alone and hanging out in a thrift store. He still has that familar twinkle in his eye...

rob1.jpg

But being disconnected from the gaming world all this time has clearly taken its toll. The thin neck and slender arms that graced coffee tables across the country are gone, replaced by a body that has some former friends saying R.O.B. now stands for Rolls of Blubber.

rob2.jpg

And the unkindest cut of all is what this former gaming legend is doing to support himself these days. While we couldn’t get him to confirm this on camera, the rumors flowing through Silicon Valley are obviously true. If there are small children out there you may want to have them leave the room as there is no easy way to say this…R.O.B. spends his days blowing people in the privacy of their own homes.

rob3.jpg

The last we saw of this fallen star, he was heading out the door with a grubby thrift customer, having sold himself for measly $2.99. We could hear them talking about going up to something called a “Room of Doom” and “shooting the breeze”. Yes he had found a home for the night, but it was plain his gyros might have hoped for better. His fans may still have fond memories, but for R.O.B. the future is sadly "Game Over.".

Next week on Where Are They Now?…”Virtual Boy Toy”

:)

I first posted this at DP, but thought it might be enjoyed here as well. Was planning to just ask if anyone had seen one of these before, but by the time I got home from Goodwill this whole, sick scenario had popped into my head. I only wish his arms moved as he rotated...could have been a nice "Danger Will Robinson" effect!

Rich

A ROB-styled fan.

That's pretty spiffy.

And thank Althena there's not a headless ROB out there somewhere that was sacrificed to make it.

BTW, the last ROB appearance I know of was in StarFox64, though there's supposed to be a ROB trophy in Smash Brothers Melee.

My ROB is on my shelf. He's my best friend. But I've never tried it since I got it in an auction which came with a DOA NES and a bunch of crappy games. Either way, I wanted one since I saw him hatch from that TV in the 80's. Even if the games suck, he's a cool companion. Guess he's not as "cool" as that Fan ROB.

HAHAHAHA!!! GET IT?? FAN!!?? *cough*

That fan actually doesn't really look ANYTHING like the real ROB, though.

Sure, it's the same style, but so is Johnny 5. But it's not actually ROB. The arms are completely wrong.

JOHNNY 5 ALIVE!

Err, anyways...

Yah. The head's closer, but also not quite right for a real one.

I think my RAD could kick your ROB-fan ass! ;)

Here's a recent pic of him destroying the tag team of ROB's, even with the help of Brett the hitman Heart and a slew of others, Mario, DK, and the Borg. It might be a little closer once Sting, the Nature Boy, Lex, & the EVA unit join in....

radeatrob.jpg

Oh and nice article btw, I caught it at DP yesterday. Robots do indeed ROCK!! I want that fan! :lust: <-- since we have no envy..

I had a ROB and all the parts that a friend gave me years ago in high school. when I got back into the NES I tried to dig him out, but he was missing. I had all the other parts. But no ROB. I always wanted to try ROB, but I had no games. At least the extra parts (gyro, still worked) found a good home